Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:35 PM   #826
Inner Circle

Highlite clip-right click-menu "reverse"- that'll do ya'

Don
Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM   #827
New Boot

Seems that the DV AVI render does make a very good file for import into a new project - I think my problems have gone away.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:40 PM   #828
New Boot

Poor image from a bad JPG - what can I do?

I've got a particular JPG image in a project that's not playing well on a DVD player/TV.

It is a JPG cut from a poor AVI file - so it already looks like a very poor resolution image. I only have the JPG file at this point - AVI is gone.

On the final DVD it flickers - the brighter parts of the image move back and forth.

Is there some kind of effect I can place on this image to change this? I'm open to anything, since it looks so bad right now.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM   #829
Major Player

Then ad a velocity envelope for a speedier reverse playback.

I don't know about the bad tracking lines, though. That's an effect that is kind of less relevent or realistic these days.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM   #830
Sponsor: JET DV

Try deinterlacing the image in your paint program.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM   #831
New Boot

How do I tell?

It is Vegas Movie studio 4.0

Any sugestions on what I can do?

Dan
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:48 PM   #832
Major Player

Open the image in your image editor.
Adjust levels to compress the darks, mids and whites.
Filter for video safe colors.
De-interlace the clip (still) in your nle.
If it still looks like sh*t, let it go. A compressed frame grab from a poor avi now lossly saved from your image editor ... yeeks ...
Bon chance!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:36 AM   #833
Major Player

It is my understanding that VMS does not allow custom templates. You can upgrade to Vegas senior or some folks like TMPEGenc.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #834
Major Player

Free or DIY Lower Thirds for Vegas?

I need a basic "Lower Thirds" overlay to use in Vegas, but have no money to spend. I'm willing to go the DIY route or just use some free or open source lower thirds that are out there in Net land. Any suggestions for me (don't suggest paying for anything, as I already know about those options, I'm looking for cheap/free solutions).

If I go the DIY approach, what's the best way to go? Can I generate it from entirely within Vegas? Of should I create some sort of alpha-channel image in photoshop and bring that into Vegas? Looking for simple and easy method.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:00 PM   #835
New Boot

Thanks for heading me down this path...

I found that if I right-clicked into the properties of the CLIP in Vegas, there was an option for "reduce interlace flicker" - and it worked great - right in Vegas.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:24 PM   #836
Major Player

You can create an alpha channel avi or, if it's simple, you can create a seperate project and then bring it in as a nested project when needed.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:04 PM   #837
Sponsor: JET DV

One of my newsletters has an article about how to build lower-thirds in Vegas.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM   #838
Sponsor: VASST

You can certainly do it all from within Vegas. The Lower Thirds that are in the GrafPaks that come with Ultimate S2 were all done with Vegas Generated media and few PNG files.

For a DIY lower third, I would start with Generated Media, Color Gradient, and use the Rectangle setting. Or use a Noise Texture with a Pan/Crop Bezier mask to limit its shape. Don’t forget to feather the edges of the mask if you want a nice soft look. You can even use the Bezier mask with the color gradient or any other generated media.

~jr
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM   #839
Major Player

Strange that no one has answered this yet. It seems like a question someone would have had a quick answer to.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM   #840
Major Player

I'm not sure, but I bet it works like this...

The nested event probably works exactly like if you had rendered the embedded project according to that project's properties. So, if you delaced the original, then embedded it into the second project and delaced again, that in fact it would delace twice. So, if you started with 60i, then made the project 24p, then nested that veg into a new project with 60i settings, I bet you're video will go from 60i to 24p to 60i.

Like I said, not sure, but I can't image it working any other way because of the incredible amount of different things that could be happening when nesting...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...