Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 59 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 10th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #871

As Steve suggested, you might be hitting a bad spot for some reason, in your render or project media. You might try rendering that short segment to uncompressed HD just to see if that clears the problem. You could be having buffer issues, resource issues, sector issues...
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #872
Regular Crew

If it crashes it crashes always at the same spot. If I render a “bridge” at the troublesome point it works. So I can render the whole project, but in pieces. So it is generally possible to render the problem area. The problem shows up independent of which codec (or no codec) I use. I had this problem on my old AMD – Machine und I have it on my new Intel Computer. So I think it not specific to my hardware.

Richard
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #873
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Firnges
If it crashes it crashes always at the same spot. If I render a “bridge” at the troublesome point it works. So I can render the whole project, but in pieces. So it is generally possible to render the problem area. The problem shows up independent of which codec (or no codec) I use. I had this problem on my old AMD – Machine und I have it on my new Intel Computer. So I think it not specific to my hardware.

Richard
See... now you're getting somewhere!!

When you say "bridge" - what do you mean exactly?

BTW, what's the format of the original material you are editing? Are you using the straight m2t, or an intermediate codec like Cineforms CFHD AVI?

Is the spot where it usually crashes an area where you have a transition/effect/colour correction or plugin-chain in effect? If it doesn't have any effects/transitions or colour correction etc, happening at the point of failure, it could well be that the GOP has been compromised.

If it seems like the GOP has been scrambled at that point, recapture the offending section of footage from the camera, replace the offending clip from the timeline/media pool and re-render.

If there are editing processes going on when the crash occurs, you may need to look at adjusting them in length, or if there's a number of them - reducing the number of them.

I'm starting to feel like I'm Sherlock Steve...
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #874
Regular Crew

.AVI vs. .MPEG2

Hi, guys! Can you tell me if the definition and quality of my final product would be better if I:

a) Render my .veg file scenes to .avi’s and then render all those .avi scenes into the required full film .mpeg2 for DVD Architect? (as I've been doing)

or

b) Render my .veg files scenes directly as individual .mpeg2’s and then render those .mpeg2’s into the required full film .mpeg2 for DVD Architect?

Which would have the best resolution (and by how much?) Thank you.
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #875
Sponsor: JET DV

So you're giving DVDA several small files? This requires you to end-action from one to the next if you are wanting to play them all back as one file. It will also give you a small time stutter between sections. Or are you wanting to give DVDA one large file?

If you want a SINGLE file, you will need to do it as you have been doing - render the several individual AVI files and then create a "final" project combining the individual files before rendering to MPEG2.

If you render each section to MPEG2, you will have several small files. If you attempt you use Vegas to combine the MPEG2 files, you will then decompress and recompress EVERY frame. Rerendering MPEG2 is something you do NOT want to do. There are some programs that can "combine" MPEG2 files but Vegas is not one of them (and neither is DVDA).

Ideally, if disk space is not an issue, you could just edit the individual pieces and, using the nested VEG feature in Vegas 6, you could create a "final" project consisting of all the VEG files. This should give you the "best" quality possible and would allow a single render to MPEG2.
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Pla
Hi, guys! Can you tell me if the definition and quality of my final product would be better if I:

a) Render my .veg file scenes to .avi’s and then render all those .avi scenes into the required full film .mpeg2 for DVD Architect? (as I've been doing)

or

b) Render my .veg files scenes directly as individual .mpeg2’s and then render those .mpeg2’s into the required full film .mpeg2 for DVD Architect?

Which would have the best resolution (and by how much?) Thank you.
You'll always do best rendering your timeline straight to MPEG for DVD Architect. You don't need to render again. Creating a DVD is a single render process if you do it correctly from Vegas. You can even use a batch render should you wish to, using the Batching tools found in Vegas 5 and 6.

So, render your project as a whole, single mpeg, render audio as AC3 if your video collectively is longer than an hour, and you'll not be re-rendering anything in DVD Architect.
See a "how to batch render" article at: http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...f-3f7950d7c353
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #877
Regular Crew

Yes, thank you Ed, I had been giving DVDA one large .MPEG file from all the rendered AVI's. I'll just continue doing it the way I've been doing it.

I'm pretty sure that Douglas was agreeing with you. Thank you, too, Douglas.
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Pla
Yes, thank you Ed, I had been giving DVDA one large .MPEG file from all the rendered AVI's. I'll just continue doing it the way I've been doing it.

I'm pretty sure that Douglas was agreeing with you. Thank you, too, Douglas.
Ruben, one catch-comment...you mentioned you're giving DVDA one big MPG file, but in your earlier post, you said DVDA was re-rendering. Nothing should be re-rendering, unless you're using MPEG audio and then converting that to AC3 in DVDA. That's also not a good workflow, as you're compressing audio twice. Am I misunderstanding you?
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #879
Regular Crew

Hi Doug,

Actually, the big MPEG file that I referred to, that I'm giving to DVDA, is the one that was rendered from all the rendered AVI files which came from the seperate VEG file scenes. So, I know that there's no render process going to DVDA from that big MPEG, I was referring to the second render process from the AVI files to the big MPEG file. Did you make any sense of all that?

Thank you,

Ruben
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #880
Regular Crew

Hello Steve,

it can happen at any point. As I said before, I usally prerender my project so all transitions etc are already "done". I also tried rendering from uncompressed, cineformcodec and mpg. Makes no difference.. Rerender the .avi does not help either. What I mean, it is possible to render the critical spot, but not the project in one piece. Sometines the rendering stops after half an hour sometimes after a few seconds, so no rule about time.
Nevertheless yesterday I tried the Mainconcept Standalone Encoder (1.5). This seems to work without flaw.

Richard
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #881
Major Player

just switched from p.pro to vegas 6 and alreayd in trouble

..i have a sony walkman and i cant capture through vegas 6. It wont recognize the device for some reason, but i can take a still from the walkman. So i'm not sure what i need to do or what, i'm loosing my mind here.
thanx for any help
frustrated editor

UPdate: i got the 6c update and it seems to work....
wow...not sure what that was all about but shouldnt it work right out of the box???

Last edited by Saturnin Kondratiew; October 12th, 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #882
Sponsor: VASST

The Video Walkman might not support camera control over firewire. (you are using firewire right?) In Vegas Capture go to Options > Preferences... and uncheck the option Enable DV device control. Then control the walkman from its own transport controls (i.e., press Play on the walkman and record in Vegas manually)

~jr
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #883
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnin Kondratiew
UPdate: i got the 6c update and it seems to work....
wow...not sure what that was all about but shouldnt it work right out of the box???
Vegas 6c did include some fixes for capturing issues. It's almost always a good idea to go to the most current version.
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #884
Regular Crew

Forgot to mention Nesting.

Save the project.
Open a new Vegas Project.
Find the old Vegas project in the explorer.
Drag that project onto the new projects timeline.
This will connect all clips.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=149990
Old October 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #885
Tourist

Weird Artifacting in Vegas

I have a very strangle problem with vegas. I am shooting a movie on mini dv. It is 60i footage. I pulled all my footage into vegas and everything ran fine. I edited my clips down to where I liked them and then saved my files. The next time I came back to edit on vegas some of my clips had a weird artifactin problem going on I don't under stand it. This has happened a few times and keeps happening so I was wondering it had happened to anyone else. If you have some advice let me know, thanks.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28511071541.jpg&s=x10

Thanks again,
Zach
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...