Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #886

That looks like DV, not HDV...but it also looks like typical DV dropout.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #887
Tourist

That is what I thought but when it was brought in it didn't have that drop out in it. The drop out occured in my PC somewhere. Well really I don't know where it came from.
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #888
Major Player

How can I do this?

I am cutting a interview and I just want to spice it up abit.
I want to have a small line across the bottom of the screen that shimmers back and forth, similiar to the windows startup screen.
You know what I am talking about?
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #889
Regular Crew

Premiere has a filter called vertical roll to induce the frame line(s) or sync loss effect. Look for something similar in Vegas. Of course, you could actually record a rewind on an actual deck to get the real thing.
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Toogood
I am cutting a interview and I just want to spice it up abit.
I want to have a small line across the bottom of the screen that shimmers back and forth, similiar to the windows startup screen.
You know what I am talking about?
You could do this a number of ways, but the easiest way would be to create a mask using the Bezier tool, then float a second mask of generated media across it.
I just built one, but it's WAY too big for what you're asking. However, you can probably modify it very easily to be what you want.
Find it at http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...f-4f300e1c46b0
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #891
Trustee

Maybe u can use a cookie cutter on the interview track on top, and place the generated media below.The gen media can be set to change progressively.I'm not sure the effect may be a lot less subtle then what u r hoping for with this method.

Otherwise u keyframe the cookie cutter to move?
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #892
Major Player

Strange problem with mpegs on my timeline

I just posted a question like this in the open forum, but I'm not cross-posting because this is specifically about the Vegas side of the problem. :-)

I just downloaded these video clips from Ares, the P2P file sharing program. I take them and drop them into the timeline and a strange thing happens. While they are the size of the full clip, about 20 megs, they show up in the timeline as only 10 seconds long. I zoom in on the clip, and get the individual frame thumbnails, but check this out...as I scrub the cursor, the thumbnails change.

What I'm saying is that if I hit play, it will play the first 10 seconds of the video and stop. If, however, in the middle of playing the clip, I move the cursor, it will start from a different spot, further on in the clip, though inaccessible to any player.

This problem is consistant with Media Player, PowerDVD, Ares Player, and Vegas.

Any info?
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #893
Major Player

Monitor help

I want to switch to a LCD computer monitor, any recommendations?

Thanks

Vince
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #894
Inner Circle

I use this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001185 It's the Samsung 19'', I've been very very happy with it. In general, my lcd is much more pleasing to look at than my CRT's.
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #895
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
I use this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001185 It's the Samsung 19'', I've been very very happy with it. In general, my lcd is much more pleasing to look at than my CRT's.
hello steven,

just got myself the same monitor. needed about a week to get adjustet to the 19". had 15 for years. nice clear pic. money well spend

greetings
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #896
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello steven,

just got myself the same monitor. needed about a week to get adjustet to the 19". had 15 for years. nice clear pic. money well spend

greetings

If my CFO would let me I'd get two more. Instead of my CRT's. One of my CRT's is dying, and when it does, I might get another LCD.
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #897
Major Player

thanks for the link will check it out...

Vince
Old October 14th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #898
Inner Circle

You might want to check hot deals sites for a deal on something like Dell computer monitors. It's more bang for your buck (compared to buying at newegg.com prices I think) when they're on sale.
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #899
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Gearshift ?

question on gearshift?

does gearshift convert the files to cineforms "direct show" version file or "video for windows" version file ?

from cineform site:
Vegas only uses the Video for Windows version of the CineForm codec while HDLink uses the DirectShow version. The DirectShow version is a bit more sophisticated about the manner in which we can code our files, so we get approximately a 30% reduction in file size with HDLink. These smaller files also perform "faster" on the Vegas timeline. There is no quality disadvantage with the VfW codec, and the bitstreams are 100% compatible.
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #900
Sponsor: JET DV

Gearshift simply does the exact same thing as you manually choosing File - Render As in Vegas. It's a script that runs in Vegas that automates the process for you. So, if Vegas uses the "Video for Windows" version, Gearshift will too as it uses Vegas to do the rendering.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...