Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 61 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 14th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #901
Regular Crew

Edit: I got distracted while writing my reply and Edward already answered the question.

Vasst Gearshift is a script (a very useful script, but just a script) that runs in Vegas, automating Vegas functions. So, it has no additional abilities above what Vegas can do. The bottom line is, Gearshift creates vfw (video for windows) CineForm avi files using version 2.1 of the CineForm codec because that is the version of CineForm included in Vegas 6.0c.
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howell
Edit: I got distracted while writing my reply and Edward already answered the question.

Vasst Gearshift is a script (a very useful script, but just a script) that runs in Vegas, automating Vegas functions. So, it has no additional abilities above what Vegas can do. The bottom line is, Gearshift creates vfw (video for windows) CineForm avi files using version 2.1 of the CineForm codec because that is the version of CineForm included in Vegas 6.0c.
In terms of the render, this is true. However, in the process of the render, we're also applying ITU 709 colorspace correction to the proxy, as well as the ShiftGears function, which is where the main value in Gearshift lies. It also allows you to render from regional selections and rippling, therefore only rendering what you've selected.

Also as pointed out, GearShift uses Vegas' backbone to render the files, therefore the output is VfW and not DirectShow.

Since (as Edward and Matt pointed out) GearShift is a script, it can only access tools Vegas already has built in. However, replacing/swapping out media, applying colorspace correction, properly converting to progressive, rendering multi-formats in sequence, shifting framerates, selecting media from Timeline, Bins, or Explorer, are all huge timesavers, which is all scripting really is. A monster timesaver, and somewhat of a preventative measure, as to do all of these things repetitively and consistently is a challenge in and of itself.

In short, GearShift does a little more than just the "exact same thing as choosing File>Render As." Actually, quite a bit more.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 15th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #903
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
In short, GearShift does a little more than just the "exact same thing as choosing File>Render As." Actually, quite a bit more.
Spot, I didn't mean to imply that it does not automate the process of doing more things before and after actually creating the files. I know it's a very useful tool that helps simplify the process and has many time saving features beyond simply "rendering". I just meant the process of actually creating the file is the same as doing a "File - Render As" meaning the the file will be vfw and not directX as asked in the question.
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #904
Major Player

The couple of VASST scripts that I have (Ultimate-S and Gearshift) are just so incredibly valuable to what I do, it would be hard to imagine using Vegas without them!
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #905
Regular Crew

I'd just like to add that I also find Gearshift to be a valuable tool. In short, I wouldn't attempt to edit HD in Vegas without it or an alternative. I use a slower system to edit and HDV on the timeline in Vegas 6 is just painful. Since all my projects are SD DVD I have been making DV widescreen proxies, editing those, and then switching back to the original m2t's for final render. I'm also going try creating CineForm files with Gearshift and do the final render from those. Also, don't forget that Gearshift can be modified to create any kind of proxy or editing file you want to work with. You could use it in a SD project to automate switching between DV and SD YUV, DV50, or MJPEG, etc.
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #906
Regular Crew

This is so frustrating!!!!

This is frustrating. I keep getting the following error:
Sony Vegas 6.0
Version 6.0c (Build 153)
Exception 0xC0000005 (access violation) WRITE:0x0 IP:0x2AB31708
Thread: ProgMan ID=0x3C8 Stack=0x2DED000-0x2DF0000
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=001b EIP=2ab31708 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=00000013 SS=0023 ESP=02ded610 EBP=206ce038
ECX=2ab31708 DS=0023 ESI=0065f210 FS=003b
EDX=00000002 ES=0023 EDI=2ab31708 GS=0000

I have captured from my HDV (Z1 and FX1) and have created a 7520x576 widescreen project for delivery to DVD. The HDV files were converted using Cineform's Connect HD and have been working with these files.

Yesterday, when rendering, I had no problem. Did a few cosmetic changes to a short (about 5 minutes) and tried rendering again. Ever since then, I have been having the above problem and I have no idea where everything is going pear shaped.

I have tried rendering to avi, wmv, mpeg2 - you name it - I always get this error and never in the same place while rendering.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #907
New Boot

Video Sequences in vegas?

Can vegas have seperate video sequences in the same project file like in Premiere Pro. A sequence would be like cutting a many clips together and then you can put that sequence in to a master clip or something. Any comments would be great. Thx!
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #908
Major Player

You can use nested sequences, here is the best article on the subject.

http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...6-f65a2f28da5d

Jim
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #909
New Boot

Awesome
This is exactly what I want
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #910
New Boot

Capturing to tape, trouble

Hi,

I have just finished my video and I want to capture it back to mini dv via firewire through my camera. Well, I did. And when I play it back, whether on the camera, or on the TV, it skips at certain points. The audio skips. I did this on a tape that stuff was on. I also captured on a brand new minidv tape. But it still doesn't come out flawless. I've checked wire connections and I made sure everything was plugged in correctly, but still to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #911
Major Player

It's your computer. After I upgraded to Vegas 6, I have never been able to get a clean "print to tape" on my old computer. It has skips and stutters.

Make sure you are defragged and ALL, and I mean ALL of the programs are shut down in the background. No messengers, to Google Desktop. Nothin'.

Then try it again, and I'll bet things will be better.

DJ
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #912
Regular Crew

Speed freaks beware!!

Sadly - no response. BUT!! I've solved the problem and post my findings here to warn others against the same fate.

Never, I repeat NEVER, overclock your system which has Serial ATA hard drives installed. No amount of defragging, reducing system resources or anything else will work. Your system will work beautifully fast and flawless - just don't try and render!!!!

SATA drives are very sensitive to changes in the SRC clock and changing your ram or bus frequencies or other settings also influence the SRC clock - which as you have all guessed, was the cause of my problem. I do believe the later versions of SATA drives are not as easily affected but your mobo needs to the latest and greatest as well otherwise you wind up in the same boat.

Good luck to all!

Cheers
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #913
Major Player

Thanks for the heads up!
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #914
Regular Crew

How mask background only

I have video footage that I just want to saturate the background only and leave the subject as is but not sure how to accomplish this...can someone point me in right direction.
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #915
New Boot

Thanks, it worked
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...