Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #916
Inner Circle

1- It might be easiest to shoot this as a green screen. Composite the subject over the background.

You would need to shoot a good green screen though.

There may be other ways to shoot this so you don't have to rotoscope (rotoscoping can be time consuming). i.e. change the subject's costume to be very (un)saturated, and use secondary color correction on the face to increase its saturation. Then affect overall saturation.

2- You could rotoscope the subject out of the background. This is not too painful because you want to affect color information. Your eye has less resolution for color than for brightness. So if you are messy with the rotoscope, it's ok.

In Vegas, you can kind of use the masking tool to cut out the foreground subject. If the subject moves too much, it's a little faster to use a dedicated compositing program like Combustion (but it would still be a tedious, time-consuming process).

3- You might be able to pull a difference key, although that can be tricky. Not sure how to do this in Vegas.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #917
Inner Circle

i thought it may have been the ridiculous resolutions of 7520x576... lol

i am a nutter for OC'ing a PC and ive never had problems..
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #918
Major Player

Damn I'm good. :-)
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #919
Major Player

Vegas 6b/c

Whats the difference between 6b and 6c. I've been reading a lot and 6c is always mentioned never 6b. I have 6b do I need 6c?

Thanks
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
Whats the difference between 6b and 6c. I've been reading a lot and 6c is always mentioned never 6b. I have 6b do I need 6c?

Thanks
The differences are significant.
http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...e-e49570d837fa has a listing and explanation of what's new, and downloads to experiment with new features.
Yes, you'll want to upgrade to Vegas 6c.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #921
Major Player

Sony Vegas Movie Studio+DVD Platinum

Hola Amigos!

I picked up a copy of Sony Movie Studio+DVD Platinum a couple of days ago and have been testing it out since. It handles very well on my system. It comes with a Sony sound effects sampler, some light audio production software, and DVD architect. The WMV-HD codecs are also included, along with another output option listed only "HD 720p" and "1080i." The HDV codecs are in there as well, only 1080i and 720p30. Sadly there is no 720p24 for the HD-100 (darn!) Well, I guess it's only because it's consumer software with a $130.00 price tag. The HDV stream handles really well on the timeline, and although I never thought I would move from Adobe to Vegas, this software has really grown on me. I also thought it was cool that it came with a copy of "HDV: What you need to know." Good reading. The only thing I notice when I re-export as an HDV stream from the software, there is a slight degradation: larger blocks of pixels, but I'm quite sure that it was due to a very dark shot. The software also had no trouble reading my JVC 30k deck, which I thought was cool. Now I only wonder if it will read the BRHD50. I'll just have to treat myself to one to find out :-)

Happy cutting.
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #922
Inner Circle

Help Needed - Canopus AVIs & Vegas

Help Needed - Canopus AVIs & VegasI'm quickly losing my mind here.
I have AVI 5 files, edited on a Canopus Rex system (not by me!!), that I need to make into a DVD using DVDA 3.0
I rendered them out from Vegas (6.0c) as mpegs & ac3s but, when I brought them into DVDA (3.0c) , it said every file had to be re-compressed. When I did this, lip sync was off as well as what appears to be a field ordr problem.
The files are only 9 min. max. each.
I've done this numerous times before and NEVER had to go through this before.
Is this a Canopus (type 1 vs. type 2) AVI file issue? I've got the Canopus DV file converter but have never used it so I'm not sure which settings to choose.
Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Mike

edit: I did a test render using AVI files I created in Vegas so I know this works. It's the Canopus AVIs that are giving me grief :-(
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #923
Trustee

So u were able to do it perfectly in V6c rite? Check your settings in DVDA3. Click on the particular file and u will see the time line in DVDA3 at the bottom right.Do the preview there.. WYSIWYG.. the sound track could have been shifted a little over there..
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #924
Inner Circle

In case anyone else runs into the same issue, I ended up using the Canopus DV File Converter and converted the Canopus AVI files to Microsoft DV (AVI 2) files. Brought them back into Vegas, rendered out to MPEG-2 & AC3, back into DVDA (where they had to recompressed) and made my DVD.

Mike
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #925
Trustee

if i understood you correctly, there is something seriously wrong with that workflow.

when you import dvd-legal mpeg2 & ac3 files into a dvd authoring application, they should NEVER have to be recompressed into mpeg2 & ac3 again... it ruins the picture quality.

perhaps when you said "recompressed", you were referring to the actual creation of the dvd itself... that process does not recompress the video footage, only the stills.
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #926
Regular Crew

Disappearing Windows - It Happened Again

Somehow I got the docking station to disappear beneath something so it is invisible. First it was the Video Preview. I did a alt-D-1 to bring up a stored Vegas layout. That got my video preview back.

But I still don't have the Media FX. Whenever I open it, it flies down to the bottom of the screen.

What's the magic command (undocumented in Help as far as I can tell) to restore the default editing layout.

Is there a way to rescue these hidden windows.

BTW: Its Vegas 5. Thanks!

-Tom-
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #927
Sponsor: JET DV

To restore EVERY setting back to factory default, hold down CTRL-SHIFT and start Vegas.

You may be able to find your window by changing your screen to a higher resolution, finding the window and dragging it back to the main screen, and then changing it back to your current resolution.
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #928
Regular Crew

Thanks!

All you folks out there make sure you get Excalibur.

I do multi-cam theater work and use the Multi-cam wizard in Excalibur all the time.

Also the Align A/V wizard can save your *ss if you should happen to get the audio out of sync. It happens.
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #929
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
It definitely did it in 5.
That things in Vegas really sucks... posted a lot of times in suggestion box... no response, maybe in V7 ...
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #930
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnston
Wow, this thread turned out to be alot more helpful than I imagined, thanks for that last piece of info Brian, that will be very helpful in the future
Plus, you can download a script at vastt.com, that puts some nice buttons to call and save "layouts", i use it every time, really nice and it's called Layout icons.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...