Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM   #946
Regular Crew

Make key move cursor forward 25 frames

I've tried searching, but the search doesn't seem to work anymore... I went through the keyboard layout, but couldn't find how to change something specific like number of frames, just that I could tell a key to move by a frame.

I want to be able to hit like ctrl-> and have the cursor move 25 farmes forward.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM   #947

Alt+left/right arrow will move you a single frame at a time, regardless of how deeply you're zoomed. If you're zoomed in deeply enough, just the arrow key alone will do this.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM   #948
Sponsor: JET DV

If you wanted to always move a specific number of frames, you could always write a script that moves that many frames and then assign the script to a keypress. As Spot said, the zoom level will control the number of frames the arrow key moves. If you zoom in to the exact right zoom level, you should be able to get 25 frames. The script method would probably be the most precise method, though.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:49 PM   #949
Major Player

Do a search on "divx xvid mp3", I have a thread around here somewhere about this EXACT topic. Basically, Vegas can't handle it, so best choice is to render out to full res avi (or frameserve), and then use VirtualDub to encode to Divx/Xvid video muxed with MP3 audio -- VDub probably does a better job than Vegas could anyway, and it's pretty easy to use. But search for my old thread, it's got way more info.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 04:58 AM   #950
Regular Crew

VASST Ultimate S 2.0 Vastly Improves Sony Vegas

http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=34866

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...2-f703f5050400

Charlie White says

If you’re using Sony Vegas editing software, there’s a powerful group of tools and scripts that can make your life easier. VASST Ultimate S 2.0 ($149) is an add-on to Vegas 5.0 or 6.0 that can create complex effects with just a simple click of the mouse. It’s also packed with practical editing tools, audio and video effects enhancements, a great Film Look applet, and even a utility for editing multicamera productions. After plugging Ultimate S 2.0 into Vegas 6.0, I went to work, and found myself repeatedly saying, “Ultimate S, where have you been all my life?”

Looks like an amazing tools to have!!!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #951
New Boot

PAL render 10x longer than NTSC render... normal?

I'm rendering a project that is about 1.5 hours long... includes video and some still shots. The video took under 3 hours to render in NTSC format, but i'm reformatting for customers outside of the US and the PAL render is estimated to take over 20 hours. Is this normal??
Thanks all,
matt lewis
www.cystinuria.org
Old October 23rd, 2005, 03:43 PM   #952
Regular Crew

Normalizing, what's the skinny?

OK I have finished my project and want to normalize the audio tracks, do I
normalize each track individually or at the project level? It is a simple project, a documentary with 3 audio tracks, Voice over, music and ambiant sound. I have checked out a few tutorials in C Cow etc but they don't get too specific. Am waiting for Spot to release his next DVD, but need this info now, and am not audio savvy at all (release, attack??? sounds like somebody is wrestling!) Any help greatly appreciated.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM   #953
Regular Crew

Would anyone be interested in helping me write this? I'm guessing in would look something like "when right arrow is depressed move cursor right 25 frames" Though I'm not sure how to put that in java...
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:14 PM   #954
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

We agree completely! That's why we've put together special bundles with VASST & Sony that include VASST training and trial versions of Ultimate S & Gearshift with any Vegas purchase.

We're also offering a bundle of VASST training & Ultimate S.

We've posted an interview on our site with Douglas Spotted Eagle that talks about Vegas, Ultimate S & HDV. Check it out http://www.videoguys.com/vegas_spot.html

Gary
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM   #955
Sponsor: JET DV

You'll need two scripts. For example:
MoveCursorRight.js containing these two lines:

import Sony.Vegas;
Vegas.Cursor = Vegas.Cursor + new Timecode("00:00:00:25");

and MoveCursorLeft.js containing these two lines:

import Sony.Vegas;
Vegas.Cursor = Vegas.Cursor - new Timecode("00:00:00:25");

Then you would need to store those two files in the Script Menu folder. Assigning them to the desired keypresses can now be done by going to the Keyboard tab in Options - Preferences.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:06 PM   #956
Major Player

sorry look in standard vegas forum

Last edited by Bill Grant; October 23rd, 2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: misposted is wrong forum
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #957
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward that works beautifully!!!
Old October 24th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #958
Regular Crew

I guess the original file is NTSC.
so rendering from NTSC to PAL means changing from 60i to 50i.
vegas tries to cut away 10 half frames every second while also changing the resolution from NTSC standard to PAL.
so i guess its natural that it takes more time.

but I can not comment on why it takes so much longer.
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #959
Major Player

I'm not sure of the exact times but if the ntsc render took about 3 hrs. then the pal definitely could take around 20. It should go faster however if you put the rendered ntsc back on the timeline and render it out so that it's a straight convertion rather than applying effects and also doing the conversion. That should knock the time down some.

Ben Lynn
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #960
Sponsor: VASST

Fred,

Actually there is a bug in that script. (I know it’s hard to believe there is a bug in just one line of code but that’s all it takes) Edward’s code will only work when the timeline is set to Time & Frames or one of the two 29.97 SMTE settings (Drop or Non-Drop). So it only supports 3 or the 14 timeline formats.

In SMTPE 30 (30 fps, Video) it will only move 24 frames. If you are editing in PAL SMPTE EBU (25 fps, Video) the script will actually advance the cursor 29 frames! Set the timeline to SMTE Film Sync (24fps) or SMPTE Film Sync IVTC (23.976) and the script will jump 31 frames!

In fact it will not work at all if the timeline is set to Time, Seconds, Absolute Frames, Measures & Beats, Feet and Frames (16mm or 35mm). And if the timeline is set to Samples it will move only 7 frames each way.

The correct line of code to advance exactly 25 frames regardless of timeline ruler setting is:

Vegas.Cursor += Timecode.FromFrames(25);

Likewise this line will go back 25 frames:

Vegas.Cursor -= Timecode.FromFrames(25);

~jr
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...