Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 67 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 31st, 2005, 03:09 PM   #991
Regular Crew

New to Vegas: How to make titles gradually zoom in?

Hello,

I was playing around with the program and I wanted to figure out how to make a title gradually zoom in, but I had a little trouble. Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks alot!
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM   #992
Inner Circle

You can use PAN/CROP or TRACK MOTION to accomplish that. Personally I'd use PAN/CROP set up a KEYFRAME on the 1st frame with the image ENLARGED (its contrary to popular belief but by enlaging the pan crop box around the image you are actually reducing the image size.) So if the title is 720X480 and you make it 1440X960 you are making it 1/2 the size.
Set another KEYFRAME at the position on the timeline you want the image to become full size or whatever size you want the title to be and reset the PAN/CROP to that size. DONE!
Its harder to explain than to do but if you play around a bit with the PAN/CROP feature you'll find how amazingly easy it is to do.

Don
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:30 PM   #993
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
You can use PAN/CROP or TRACK MOTION to accomplish that. Personally I'd use PAN/CROP set up a KEYFRAME on the 1st frame with the image ENLARGED (its contrary to popular belief but by enlaging the pan crop box around the image you are actually reducing the image size.) So if the title is 720X480 and you make it 1440X960 you are making it 1/2 the size.
Set another KEYFRAME at the position on the timeline you want the image to become full size or whatever size you want the title to be and reset the PAN/CROP to that size. DONE!
Its harder to explain than to do but if you play around a bit with the PAN/CROP feature you'll find how amazingly easy it is to do.

Don
Only my first post and already I'm loving this forum! Thanks alot!
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:56 AM   #994
Major Player

Default or DVDA NTSC video stream?

Should I use one or the other? I have been using the Default template should I use the other template i.e. “DVDA NTSC video stream” when rendering for use in DVDA2. Don’t know if one better than the other

Thanks

Vince

Vegas 5 / DVDA2
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:39 AM   #995
Regular Crew

Video stream starts off with better settings. It's a good idea to explore your options in the Custom area such as bitrates, CBR, VBR, etc.

Note that this setting does not include audio, which you would render seperatley.

Gary
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:47 AM   #996
Major Player

Thanks Gary...Hope all is well up at the Fort...

Vince
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM   #997
Major Player

I don't think Vegas has midi capabilities.
If you are getting into that sort of thing, I'd suggest getting a dedicated music application such as Sonar or Cubase.
I have Sonar which I find great - you can load in your video track so if you're doing sound track stuff, then you can have it all sync'd up
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM   #998
Major Player

Rendering to AVI files are monster size!

Hi, I recently upgraded to 6.0C and I'm rendering a 30 min. film that I did before - but I'm adding a 15 sec tag at the front.

Here's my issue - I'm taking a 6.2 gb .avi file and adding 15 seconds to it. I have tried it a couple of ways and it's seems to blow up with both.

First - I did default template (uncompressed) and it was rendering away until it ran out of space at 38 Gigs!! I was stunned. So I deleted that, and tried again. I noticed that NTSC SD YUV (what is this anyway?) popped up, so I tried that. It got to 28 minutes ( on a different drive) before it had to quit at 18 gigs.

what gives here? what should I use to get a file that's about the same size as the orginal? I expect that it will end up being about 6.4 gigs or so.

HELP!!

Thanks,
Milt Lee
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:02 PM   #999
Sponsor: JET DV

30 minutes sounds about right for 6.2 Gig. Adding 15 seconds should still leave you close to 6.2Gig. In your case, it sounds like you're now rendering to Uncompressed AVI instead of sticking with DV-AVI. Pick the NTSC-DV (or PAL-DV) preset and you should be back to your original size.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM   #1000
Inner Circle

Locking clips on the timeline

Hello all,

Is it possible to lock a clip on the timeline (in terms of it's position) but to still be able to edit that clip?

My requirement is to have four tracks of video, being different camera angles of the same event, synchronised and then locked off so that they can't be nudged out of synch. I then want to work along the timeline selecting the best track at various points and splitting/cropping the clips as appropriate with the resulting subclips remaining locked in place.

Something tells me that I am only able to lock clips to prevent moving AND editing (that something being the help file) but if anyone has any workarounds I'd love to hear about them.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:08 AM   #1001
Inner Circle

Update:

The QuadCam feature of Ultimate S seems to be precisely what I'm looking for so I guess my question is answered!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM   #1002

There are multiple ways to do multi-cam either manually or via a script. Take a look at Vol 1 #9 of my newsletters to see several various methods.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:00 AM   #1003
Regular Crew

audio

Not really sure what subject this post falls under. I filmed a movie with a crappy microphone and the dialogue sounds very tiny... not a lot of bass. Has anyone found a good way to counter this?
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:37 AM   #1004
Inner Circle

Edward, thank you. That's an extremely useful article. I realise (somewhat sheepishly) that I have, in fact, already read it some time back!

Of course for the sake of completeness (and assuming modesty prevented you from mentioning it yourself!) I must now also take a look at Excalibur which has multiple camera editing tools as well.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:14 AM   #1005

At the time the article was written, Excalibur was the only scripting option for Multi-cam. Now Ultimate S also adds multi-cam editing to Vegas as well. Check them both out as they both have 15 day free trials.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...