Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 71 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #1051
Tourist

Ok, I realized that these interlaced frames are called 'judder' frames, which are due to the 3:2 pulldown. I'm assuming they won't show up once the video plays on a DVD player that uses 3:2 pulldown. Great site, by the way. Nice to meet you guys.

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you`ll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1052
Major Player

I don't know which NLE you're using but I imagine they all work similarly. There are probably a few options to click which in FCP are Source, Matte, Final and something else. Anyways you want to select Final or it's equivalent and it will show you what's what. Good Luck, Jason.
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #1053
Sponsor: JET DV

Track 1: Event with ChromaKey effect
Track 2: Event to show in keyed area

You must set the Chromakey so that the correct color is keyed. If you click on "show mask" you can see the exact area that will be keyed and adjust the high and low threshold to get better results. Once the mask is correct, unclick the "show mask" and the second track should be visible in the masked area. You don't need to change any modes on any tracks - they should both be left on Source (Alpha) and the second track does NOT need to be a child.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #1054
Major Player

Peter, PAL discs doesn't play everywhere - my Samsung DVD player made for Japanese market doesn't play PAL at all (no disc message).
Other players sold in Japan claim they are PAl capable but do not convert for playback on NTSC TV (that are 99% pure NTSC sets sold in Japan - no multi system here).

What we do is giving friends or customers in Europe discs in the format that is official there (I do not need the regional coding). I don't know exact model or do not expect everyone to know if his player is NTSC capable. I've heard most of the players can do NTSC in Europe (most of the TVs are also multisystem and will play/convert NTSC signal even if the DVD output is straight NTSC). But if only one client happens to be exception that is trouble - so just playing safe (although with the cost of may be lower quality and long encoding hours).
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1055
New Boot

sound sound policy? + a minor wind noise success

Hi,

Sorry this is long.

On Wind Noise ..
For those struggling with a wind-noise problem I want to report what I believe to be a *minor* victory .. but at the same time I want to invite comment from the experts since I am a humble newbie.

I have a clip with variable wind noise. After stumbling around for awhile and reading various posts (explaining that the only thing to be done is to try to cut off the low frequency rumbles with an equalizer), I brought up the sound fx tools for this clip (by right clicking on the audio portion) and chose the Volume and the Paragraphic EQ plug-ins.

* Wind Noise Reduction Technique *
Experimenting with the Paragraphic EQ presets I found that "60 Hz hum notch using four stacked filters" seemed to mitigate moderate to low levels of wind noise. Now then, please note that I have NOT yet rendered this out and listened to it on an actual TV set. If it turns out not to work - I'll repost.

Also please note that I had previously given up and cut out the portions of the interview with the really howling wind noise (gusty day, lousy audio tech (me)).
--------------------------------------------------------

On Volume ..
Which brings us to the question of volume. As far as I can figure there are five controls that can be applied to volume:

1) track volume slider (seen at left of timeline with the other track controls)
2) track compression (second icon from left in track controls, compression plugin)
3) clip volume from an audio fx plugin (right click on audio clip, fx, volume)
4) clip gain (movable thin line in timeline audio clip)
5) blue volume line (runs through all clips on the track and can be adjusted for individual clips using "add point" by right clicking)

* Best Audio Strategy Question *
I'm trying to sort out the best policy for controlling volume for an hour long program consisting of many consecutive man-on-street interviews with lots of wild noise and varying vol levels; this is the voice track.

Would it be best to..?
a) Set the track volume to a fairly high level, say 12db
b) Leave the blue volume control line set at zero
c) Adjust low vol problem clips up as needed with the volume plug-in
d) Adjust gain down on loud clips

* Broadcast Limits Question *
Further, to make this acceptable for broadcast do I need to set a "hard limit 6db" or "soft-limit" in the compressor? I've seen this refered to in other posts but have no real understanding. Is there a BASIC tutorial out there somewhere on audio levels that you would recommend?

regards to all - L
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #1056
Regular Crew

LARGE snapshot

I was wondering if there is anyway to get a snapshot larger than 720x480 in Vegas? That is the size I get when I select Best (Full) and copy or save a snapshot. The reason I'm wondering is because I'd like to capture a couple of frames so have some things printed and would need larger images. I didn't know if that would be possible or not.

Thanks! :)
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #1057
Regular Crew

You don't say what your source media is. If it's NTSC DV, it's 720 by 480. You can't get better resoultion than what you are starting with. (silk purse from sow's ear and all that).

Gary
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1058

When set to Best (Full) (or any of the "full") you will get the largest size image you can get. Technically, with a 720x480 image in NTSC, the snapshot will actually be 655x480 to account for square vs non-square pixels.
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #1059
Regular Crew

Almost. hehe. its not the loop region that disappears. When you use the Selectively Prerender Video option in the Tools menu, It makes blue bars above the loop region. Those shouldn't disappear unless I make changes to the clip that is directly under them. That is the problem. If I make a change after a prerender, all the blue bars dissappear. Not just the one above the clip that I changed. It only started doing this rececntly thats why im not sure whats going on.
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #1060
Regular Crew

Well that makes sense.. thank you :)
Old November 11th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1061
Slash Rules!

Rippling worries and the secret plugin

I know. . .the thread title sounds like the newest Harry Potter.

Two things: I worry that because of the scope of a project, i.e. many layers of audio and video, things grouped in odd ways, etc., that a ripple edit in the middle of a scene will cause chaos somewhere. I was wondering if there was some way to just keep everything together the way it was, but expand/cut down what I need to, without disruption to everything around it.

The other thing:

I hear there's a magic secret plugin for Vegas that allows a keyboard shortcut where one can select, on the timeline, everything from the cursor onward. That would be great if someone could tell me where to find it. I thought maybe it was native to Vegas already, but I can't find a mention in the manual or help files, so I guess not.

Using Version 6.0c, by the way.
Old November 11th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #1062
Regular Crew

Strobed progressive rendered video

Hello everybody!
My mini DV Cam is PAL interlaced. Ok, no problems with capture, editing, etc. But after rendering out in any video format /.avi,.mpg,.wmv/ as progressive video file, the rendered video looks so much worse than original interlaced footage - strobed, strobed, strobed even in little slow camera moving. The result is exactly the same even if I render source interlaced footage out in dv avi pal PROGRESSIVE! Anytime I render out in interlaced format, the rendered video looks ok. So, is there a method or setting which can make an excellent result from interlaced footage to progressive??? The bad result is both on the monitor and TV.

My settings are:
Template: PAL DV (720x576; 25,000 fps).
Field Order: Lower field first. If I set None/progressive scan/ - bad results!
Motion Blut Type: Gaussian Frame Rate: 25,000 (PAL).
Deinterlaced Method: Interpolate fields. If I set Blend fields or None - bad results!
Smart resample is ON. Reduce interlace flicker - better if is OFF.

Would somebody describes step-by-step all the thing I have to do in Vegas, so that to get a nice PROGRESSIVE video at last? I tried many tutorials and examples, but everytime one and the same. Thanks in advance!!!
Old November 11th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #1063
Major Player

Flash 8....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
i would look at procoder before cleaner, definitely...
Thanks, cleaner is out, procoder seems to need FlashMX to encode Flash Video, and not sure if MX exports Flash8 out of the box. The on2 flash video exporter is som kind of MPEG-4/H.264(?) (can anyone please come up with a name..) derivate with crazy quality, have a lok at this 350k stream

www.modernafilmer.se/akamai/mf_flash8.html

and...video for Flash 8 supports alpha channel =8-)

/magnus
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #1064

Josh, for ripple editing, I leave it turned OFF and only use "post ripple editing" via the keyboard. Then I can determine when and if rippling occurs.

As for selecting everything after the cursor, I personally use the Select Events tool in Excalibur which will do that and any other selection process you might want (i.e. all before cursor, all in the selection area, etc...)

Ultimate S also has the ability to select events based on various parameters. You can also use the "Selection Edit Tool" you can find on the toolbar.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #1065
Slash Rules!

Okay. Darn, neither Excaliber nor ultimate S are free, are they?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...