Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 72 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #1066
Sponsor: JET DV

No they are not. But they WILL run for 15 days for free so you can try them out.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #1067
Regular Crew

"Cursor to Right by Frame" setting not working

I have hit a small snag in learning Vegas 6: In Preferences/Keyboard/Tracklist, after assigning the "Cursor to.Right by Frame" to the Right Arrow and doing the left by frame to the Left arrow key, after applying it, it doesn't work.

It's my understanding that no matter what the zoom is set to, it will move in one frame increments on the timeline by hitting the appropriate arrow key. Well, mine is Still contingent on what zoom level I have my timeline set to---as if I didn't even apply the new settings, which I did. The Tracklist menu confirms that I made the new setting. Hmmmmm.

What am I doing wrong?
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #1068

I put it in the TrackView category and it seems to work as you are wanting.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #1069
Regular Crew

Thank you; that did the trick. The Vegas tutorial I'm using wanted me to use TrackList.
Old November 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #1070
New Boot

V6 install problem

Hi V-heads;
Trying to install Vegas 6 from cd but my laptop doesn't recognize/find the installer.Never had a problem with auto-install before..I'm running Windows XP Home w/ SP2
& Firefox.Could my lack of Explorer be the prob? I tried a search here but no directly relevant threads turned up.
Thanks
Richard
Old November 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #1071
Trustee

plus flash8 probably has the capability to have a clickable layer running on top of the video, which you can't do with wmv... unless you wrap the wmv inside of flash7, which i have not been able to figure out how to do :-/

the downside to flash8 is that nobody has the player or codec installed yet, but i think that it's probably a fairly painless download... is your content compelling enuf to keep the audience thru a flash8 install?

i don't know that the on2 flash 8 codec quality is any better than wmv or h.264, but you can be sure that the windows media server is better than anything else out there... it would be interesting to see how akamai is handling wmv vs. flash8 at the server level, and how that would impact what you are doing with your online video.
Old November 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #1072
Major Player

Exporting

Exporting to PSP (playstation portable) with vegas 6. How do I change the file path? For some reason I am uploading it to the PSP but not able to view them or find them on file on the PSP. What may I be doing wrong. Some of you may find uploading to PSP is childs play? Well I'm a kid at heart!

Thanks
Old November 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1073
Regular Crew

copying track motion key frames.

Hi,
I made a nice veggie where the video fills the screen, zooms out to a picture frame, moves right to left (with a shaddow effect). At the same time the next clip moves in from right to left, fills the screen etc.
I made it so that in the future I could just right drop a clip, as a take,and and its done.
I figured that I could then copy from one instance of vegas and paste into another instance of vegas on a separate track with all the track motion key frames, but could not find a way.
Is it possible to do this? I know I could render and then open the rendered file in onother instance of Vegas, (where my main edition would be) but I would prefer to have every thing in one piece.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #1074
Major Player

Problem fixed. Had to update the software on the PSP.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #1075

How about using it as a nested VEG file?

As another alternative, you could always drop in the new clip, render it out, and then drop the render into the final project.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #1076
Regular Crew

PAL interlaced -> PAL progressive

Ok,I will try to explain once again: what is the best way to get PAL DV AVI progressive from PAL DV AVI interlaced source footage via Vegas??? Please for suggestions and examples!
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1077

To get 25p from 50i source:
1. edit your media on the timeline to suit.
2. File>Render as
3. Choose the PAL DV template.
4. Choose Custom in the template choices.
5. In the template, choose Fields>None
6. Render.

Understand that you won't be able to print this back to tape, ever. The camera cannot accept a 25p stream, no DV camera to my knowledge can. But for archiving or playing back from a computer, it's fine.
You can also render to 25p MPEG.

HTH
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1078
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
To get 25p from 50i source:
1. edit your media on the timeline to suit.
2. File>Render as
3. Choose the PAL DV template.
4. Choose Custom in the template choices.
5. In the template, choose Fields>None
6. Render.

Understand that you won't be able to print this back to tape, ever. The camera cannot accept a 25p stream, no DV camera to my knowledge can. But for archiving or playing back from a computer, it's fine.
You can also render to 25p MPEG.

HTH
I know that, Douglas, thank you anyway!
The problem is that if I render out in interlaced SVCD or DVD, then it is OK on the TV. But after rendering out to progressive the result on the TV is full of flickering and strobes especially when there is even little camera moving. Sometimes I want to render out in PAL VCD, but it is always progressive, you know that. And the strobing exists on the TV.
So, is there a solution in Vegas???
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1079
Major Player

Still pictures in Vegas, look bad.

How come sometimes when I bring in a picture (JPG) into Vegas, it looks very jaggy and generally just looks like crap, however the picture is very high qaulity and looks fine when I view it in Photoshop.

Do you guys know what I am talking about?
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov
I know that, Douglas, thank you anyway!
The problem is that if I render out in interlaced SVCD or DVD, then it is OK on the TV. But after rendering out to progressive the result on the TV is full of flickering and strobes especially when there is even little camera moving. Sometimes I want to render out in PAL VCD, but it is always progressive, you know that. And the strobing exists on the TV.
So, is there a solution in Vegas???
VCD's aren't meant for TV playback. If you do so, all progressive images are converted by default, to interlaced, unless you've got a progressive DVD/VCD player and a progressive television. All non LCD, Plasma, and rear projection systems are interlaced. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you want/need a progressive source, but want to display on an interlaced display, without interlacing/jitter/artifacting.
It's not going to happen, because it can't.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...