Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 75 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1111
Regular Crew

Laptop Question

A good friend of mine is interested in the Dell laptop, Inspiron 6000.... 512MB of RAM... 60GB hard drive... 1.6GHz. His plan is to do some editing with Vegas here and there... nothing big or fancy. He's ordering it straight from Dell, so he can add on or change what he needs.

I'm too ignorant to tell him exactly what he needs and he doesn't want to shell out 1200 bucks for a laptop that won't support the software. Vegas users... chime in. What would make it work well?
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1112
Sponsor: JET DV

It will do the "whole thing" - just in 10 second increments (12 seconds for PAL users). More precisely, most pre-render files will be 300 frames. You'll notice it does the same thing on a print to tape. For example, if you have a 15 second title, it will render 10 seconds in one file and 5 seconds in another file.

If you want to do the whole section as ONE file, you might try the "Render to New Track" option. Be aware that you'll have to watch out on the audio, though, or you might end up with DOUBLE.
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #1113
Major Player

Got it

The Curves option really did the trick. I was hoping I would find something.

bill
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #1114
Inner Circle

I have an old Dell that is a P3 600mhz with 128m of RAM and a 10gig system drive. I've used an 80gig FWHDD for capture and working the project(s) and for rendering and Vegas worked just fine. A bit slow (to say the least) but I was able to do everything I needed to on road trips with that setup, so anything faster and with more RAM will be OK

Don
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1115
Major Player

There is something I want to add to this matter.

25P progressive video (PAL) is nothing more than 25 frames per second, each consisting of 2 interlaced fields. Both interlaced fields have the SAME sampled image from the ccd's used as a source, this image is 1 moment in time. One of the two fields shows the even lines of this image, the other fields the other lines. That's why progressive video can be recorded on VHS tapes, mini-dv tapes (DVX100, XL2) and normal dvd's. During playback on normal tv your eyes notices a different cadans compared to non-progressive video (that uses 50 different images in time per second, where progressive uses 25). It both plays as interlaced video, but it's source is different. Just like a normal feature film played back on tv from cable, VHS or dvd.

Creating progressive video from 'interlaced'= normal video in Vegas is tricky. Because the software somehow has to go back to 25 images per second, where the source is originally 50. And combining 2 fields gives problems with movements, so it somehow has to interpolate the combined image and filling all lines with texture. And then this new image has to be written back to 2 fields, with the even and odd lines in the one or another.
This interpolation gives the troubles you see. Not the fact that you do a playback on an interlaced tv.

I do have a progressive scan playback from my dvd to a progressive scan Loewe tv, using component cables. This gives great results with my progressive video of the DVX100, editing as progressive video in Vegas and rendered to a progressive video dvd with DVD-A. But the same video/dvd also plays back greatly on a normal interlaced CRT tv. The progressive mode unleashes a quality I had never seen before with my camera and MPEG2 rendering.

Working with progressive video has the same aspects as with a real film camera. Fast movements gives motion problems (stroboscope), so you have to do slow pannings, or you have to follow a subject moving through the environment (like actors entering a building and walking to the stairs or something). The eye of the viewer is trained to look at the subject and does not register the motion problems in the background.
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #1116
Major Player

Export DVDA subtitles to Vegas?

Hi everybody,

I just finished a short film, edited with Vegas 6 and created a dvd with DVDA3. In DVDA I added two different subtitle tracks, that can be chosen from the menu by the viewer. I imported the subtitles each from a txt file a translater gave me and it was just a matter of syncing them on the timeline with the video, which was a lot of work but DVDA is fairly handy with it. All is fine now.

I want to share a internetcopy of our movie on the internet (MOV or WMV format), but I want to add the English subtitles from DVDA to it. Is there any way that I can insert them into the Vegas file, using the export subtitles option in DVDA3? So far no luck. I don't want to spend another evening syncing all the dialog lines to the actual audio again....

Thanks for any help or suggestion!
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #1117
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Knight
A good friend of mine is interested in the Dell laptop, Inspiron 6000.... 512MB of RAM... 60GB hard drive... 1.6GHz. His plan is to do some editing with Vegas here and there... nothing big or fancy. He's ordering it straight from Dell, so he can add on or change what he needs.

I'm too ignorant to tell him exactly what he needs and he doesn't want to shell out 1200 bucks for a laptop that won't support the software. Vegas users... chime in. What would make it work well?
Ah... We are dealing with HD/HDV and Vegas here.

If you are indeed wondering if your good friend will be able to work with HDV on such a laptop... he'll be wanting to throw it through the nearest window after a few sessions of working with HDV stuff, unless he has the patience of a Saint that is!!

If you know he's using DV... then maybe it'll do just fine, no doubt slower than the new laptops that are now out and about, but useable.

If your friend is using HDV, then he might need to consider a 16:9 screened P-IV of at least 2.8Ghz with a 7,200rpm Hard Disk 80Gig minimum.

Bottom line: HDV needs more grunt, DV he can take a punt...
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #1118

Steve is correct in that faster/bigger is better, but at the same time, a DV Proxy or CineForm intermediary in the newest/latest versions will edit HDV very nicely on a 3.4 system or faster. Faster drives are definitely helpful
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #1119
Regular Crew

Just to clarify a bit -

The 'selectively' part of 'selectively pre-render' means that it is on;y going to render the parts that need rendering, not any unchanged parts of the DV avi file.

So, for example, if you have two video events that you do not apply filters to or otherwise change, that are overlapped for a one-second transition, the selective pre-render will only render the transition.

Gary
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #1120
Regular Crew

I'd wager the rent money that no HD is involved, just straight DV. I didn't see that I posted this in the HD section until it was too late. D'oh!

Thanks for the responses... I'll pass them along!
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #1121
Inner Circle

I've seen Vegas work with that version of the Tascam unit. Very neat.

The faders adjust the volume on each audio track. The buttons can mute the track or arm it to record. Feedback seems to be instantaneous.
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #1122
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Knight

I'm guessing that this is a Centrino (Pentium M processor) system, in which case the 1.6 processor speed as efficient as a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz system so processor speed wise he's probably going to be fine.
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1123
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Glenn! I am curious how it can be configured to be used for other (video) edit functions.

DSE, have you had any experience with this unit to compare to the Mackie control surface?

Thanks again!

Lance
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #1124

Lance, I've seen it work, and played with it a bit....no real difference. I mean, a control surface is a control surface...it just depends on what look, feel, and features you want. The Tascam is a great tool, no doubt. I happen to prefer the Mackies, but then again, they gave me a great price on several seconds/Bstock, and so we have 4 of the Mackies.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1125
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i have a averatec 4265 with a m1.6 that i use on the road.
it works good with V6 on SD .. HDV ?? not so good ..for HDV i switch to HP AMD 3700 laptop ...

from my experience a M 1.6 doesn't come close to a PIV 3.2 when editing video or using combustion .. it might be as fast using word or other software that doesn't require alot of CPU power but M's just can't handle massive CPU consumption
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...