Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #106
New Boot

Sony Vegas 6.0b and Excalibur 3.0 problem

I've been using Vegas 5.0 and Excalibur 3.0 for quite sometime with not many problems. But I upgraded to Sony 6.0 and did not uprade Excaibur to 4.0, and now I'm having audio sync problems. The first phase of syncing the tracks work fine. After I find the flash point and sync 1s and 2s together everything looks and sounds fine. As soon as I run the Excalibur wizard after marking all the camera points (45 of them) it finishes fine. But when I play the video, the audio is out of sync by a couple of seconds. Before I ran the final wizard, they were perfect. This has happened on the last 3 videos I have done. What causes this? Is it because I need to go to Exaclibur 4.0??
Thanks, Dennis
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #107
Major Player

Just wanted to specifically say that Vegas directly supports Photoshop image files, even when they're multilayered. So if it's transparent in the BG, it will show up that way on the Vegas timeline. No need to key out channels or anything.

DJ
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #108
Slash Rules!

I did the PSD thing, and it worked great. Thanks to whoever suggested that.

I might have been too elaborate. I copied the background layer (that was where the object was), hid the original background, and took out everything around the object on the background copy. Imported the PSD into Vegas. Anyway, it works, so thanks.
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #109
Inner Circle

Josh,

A lot of good "photoshop for dummies" type of books out there. Might help some. (no, no insult implied... I own one)
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Firewire capture problems

I just can't seem to get get the capture utility in Vegas to work very well and scenelyzer doesn't seem any better. I can capture whole tapes in Vegas, but if I want to capture scenes or do anything more advanced it doesn't work. As soon as either capture program starts accessing the firewire port my computer bogs down and is slow to react to any commands. The only firewire ports that I have are through my Audigy 2 card. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Should I be looking to add a dedicated firewire board to my PC? I know this woud be cheap enough, but how effective? Perhaps there is a Windows or software solution that I haven't found.

I'm running an Intel P4, 3.0 ghz. hyperthreading processor on an intel motherboard with 1 gig of kingston dual channel memory and two Western digital 7200 rpm drives. My friends are blown away by the speed of my fairly inexpensive setup, but as soon as I go to capture things seem to bog down.

Playback through my firewire to my camcorder and external monitor seems not too bad, if just a bit jittery on fast transitions.

p.s. when I do capture manually I'm not dropping frames
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #111
Regular Crew

> Should I be looking to add a dedicated firewire board to my PC?<

That would be my first recommendation.

Gary
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Preview Window - Interlaced footage Progressively

I thought there was a way to preview interlaced footage in the preview window deinterlaced, to avoid seeing all those ugly jaggies on my lcd. Can't remember where that was. Any clues?
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #113
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Properties?
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #114
Regular Crew

changing field order I guess, but I thought it was a specific option just for the preview monitor that didn't effect the Project Properties. I could be wrong. Anyone else care to take a stab? :)
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #115
Regular Crew

seems like it happens only when u render project as PAL DV (vegas dv codec). when I render it as other dv codec it is okay. and it occurs on SOME of the transitions. then, video will be darker if there is TEXT MEDIA on top of it.
unfortunately, I rendered some stuff and when I deleted source, I saw these mistakes. :(
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #116
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
I agree with Peter that you should set the project properties as 4:3 and then 'pan and scan' the 16:9 footage.
Okay... I shot this 16:9 footage with a Canon GL1 so it's actually already lossy if I'm not mistaken. Are there any tricks or specific steps I should be sure to take to ensure the least amount of loss?

-K
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #117
Regular Crew

How to "flip" event in Vegas?

Hi! Can anyone tell me how to "flip" an event in Vegas 5? I'm trying to correct eyelines and can't find how to flip a particular take. Thank you.
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #118
Inner Circle

If you open the PAN/CROP of that event, click on the center spot of the 'F' in the pan/crop screen thee is a menu which will flip the clip horizontially or vertically.
Don
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #119
Regular Crew

Thank you very much, Don.
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #120
Regular Crew

I wanted to create a triptych split-screen, but alas I'm quite useless in Vegas.

First I googled for "split screen vegas" but found nothing, and then I searched this forum for "split screen" and very quickly found this thread & the solution.

Track motion was what I was looking for, combined with making the screen wider in File> Properties.

Thanks, Edward!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...