Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 86 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1276
Inner Circle

3D in Vegas

Good day gents...

I have a transparent cutout of a person (overlay) in a video track and below this track is located a video track with an image of NYC used as background.

In this topmost track are located other transparent cutouts that appear and dissappear during the photo montage.

The project is for all intents finished. However, for giggles I am attempting to create a slight 3d effect with a couple of the figures because I am at the beginning of my learning how to use 3d in Vegas and thought I would try somthing simple....

I am finding though that unlike the Pan and Crop feature, when I activate TRACKMOTION it is turned on for the entire track, not just for the photo or video clip I am working on.

I don't "get" why the whole video track must be included in the 3D workspace time line...

What am I missing...I was up all night trying to understand this...thanks Jeff Harper
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM   #1277
Sponsor: JET DV

As you have seen, "Track" Motion affects the entire track. Pan/Crop works with individual events. However, the 3D tools are only available in Track Motion so it's either an "all or nothing" thing. The bad part is that as soon as you turn on 3D in the Track Motion, it will slow down the rendering for the entire project.

I question exactly what you're trying to do. If you just want the "cut out" to get closer to the camera, for example, Pan/Crop would do it fine. Exactly what parts of the 3D are you planning on using?
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM   #1278
New Boot

I have the HDR-HC1 and my computer wouldn't recognize my camera either. I installed SP2 and it's been working ever since.
Mark
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM   #1279
New Boot

Countdown

Does anyone know either 1) where I can download a generic countdown or 2) a simple way to make one within Vegas (version 5)? The countdown needs to be about 5 minutes long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM   #1280
Sponsor: JET DV

There are a few on the VASST website and they currently have a contest going on so there should be more countdowns available soon.
http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=countdown
http://www.vasst.com/contest.aspx?id...b-ae8c3dc2d430

Beyond that:
http://www.archive.org/movies/movies...ader01&from=BA

http://www.fotosearch.com/video-footage/leader.html

http://www.artbeats.com/prod/search....leader&ct=&fm=
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #1281
Regular Crew

Jeff,

As with all the Track motion, FX, etc, you can isolate the settings for a particular part of the track by using keyframes.

In some instances it's easiest to just create a different track for each effect.

Gary
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:33 PM   #1282
Major Player

White Letterbox??

I am trying to create a white letterbox around my video instead of the standard black letterbox.

Any idea how to do this? I usually just bring in a photoshop mask to letterbox my video, but now matter what I do the masked out area always appears black. Any way to make it appear white?
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:58 PM   #1283
Inner Circle

Edward,

I wanted to zoom in on a cutout and to make it appear the "camera" is coming around at an angle...I

As I mentioned, the project is done, and the client is extremely happy with what they have seen...but I had extra time to spend on it and wanted to play with the 3d features...

Gary, I know what you mean about the keyframe, but the timeline in the 3d workspace includes the entire project, just as Edward mentioned...I can't select the photo I want to (in this case) angle one way or the other away from the front to give it a touch of added dimensions.

I have to select the whole track for 3d, which makes the tiniest move in the keyframer move the effect 10 mins down the timeline instead of just a little further along that photo or video clip.

So if I have an 3d effect that I wish to use on a 2 to 5 second photo, the timeline in the 3d keyframer doesn't represent the length of time of the photo but instead represents the entire length of the project.

My plan is to learn 3d compositing because I plan to use it a lot in the future on almost all stillmotion projects...I want to use the 3d effect for things like routine creation of things like a video begin to play within a picture frame within a photo, etc...you guys know what I mean...

Do I just need a dedicated 3d program?

Until then, would you suggest I create a scene as a separate project, and then import the veg file into the main project?

Thanks for your input...
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:02 PM   #1284
Major Player

Put the white file down as a layer underneath your main layer and crop your main layer. Should work fine in any program.

KW
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1285
Major Player

HDV to SD 704x480

I find that if I render HDV to SD 720x480, I either have black "pillarbox" areas on either side of the frame, or I have to crop a little off the top and bottom off the image in order to have the image fill the frame. I can also stretch the image to fit, but I hate changing the aspect ratio even that small bit (though I doubt anyone would notice). On the other hand, an HDV to SD render to 704x480 mpeg 2 is the same shape and requires no extra scaling or stretching. For now this seems to be the way to go. Is there any reason I sould avoid 704x480 for HDV to SD renders?
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:38 PM   #1286
Trustee

Yeah...I'm aware. Thaz why I was wondering if there is any other new tech that can counter that.Anyway,I'll work on a nice & affordable product instead..thanks
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1287
Major Player

Sony Loops

I supposedly have a collection of Sony Loops that come with Vegas Video 6 but for the life of me can't figure out how to use them or access them.

The file I have is...

Sony_Sound_Series_Loops_and_Samples.en-US.medialib-bak

and is 319MB in size. I have looked at the manual and done as much as I can think of. I still can't access them.

Since all the smart people are on this website I would appreciate your help. I need to have some background music for a project we are doing.

Thanks,

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM   #1288
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
I supposedly have a collection of Sony Loops that come with Vegas Video 6 but for the life of me can't figure out how to use them or access them.

The file I have is...

Sony_Sound_Series_Loops_and_Samples.en-US.medialib-bak

and is 319MB in size. I have looked at the manual and done as much as I can think of. I still can't access them.

Since all the smart people are on this website I would appreciate your help. I need to have some background music for a project we are doing.

Thanks,

Tery
Typically, you will use an external program such as Acid or Sound Forge for the creation, then export the finished product as a wave file back into the NLE. I don't use Vegas specifically, but that's how it works with FCP and Soundtrack Pro. Doesn't Vegas include one of those two applications I referenced?

-gb-
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM   #1289
Major Player

That was easy!
Thanks, sometimes I think I try and make things harder than they need to be.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM   #1290
Inner Circle

Jeff,
If you just put the particular photo you're working on (needing 3d track motion) on a seperate track you can key frame it to your hearts desire manipulate the heck out of it and not affect any other part of the project. I do that frequently.

Don
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...