Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 87 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM   #1291
Sponsor: JET DV

To be honest, using 3d track motion will affect the rendering of the ENTIRE timeline - not just where it's used. I would take that one small section and make it its own project. Do what you need, render it out, and then put the rendered version back in the original project.

In lieu of rendering, you could also use nested VEG files in Vegas 6.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM   #1292
Sponsor: VASST

Are you rendering 16:9 HDV to 4:3 SD? (you didn’t say) I render my HDV to DV Widescreen (1.2121 pixel aspect) and everything looks fine at 720x480 retaining the complete 16:9 image and correctly letterboxing in 4:3.

At 704x480 what is your pixel aspect ratio? If it’s 0.9091 you are going the wrong way and loosing resolution. Try 720x480 with a PAR of 1.2121.

~jr
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1293
Sponsor: VASST

If by "transfer" you mean print-to-tape, Vegas should not have a problem with printing m2t files from any PC that can already capture m2t files. If your PC can capture and print DV then it can capture and print HDV. This is because the transfer rate is the same for HDV as it is for DV (13GB/hr).

Your PC's ability to preview HDV has nothing to do with printing to tape. The print is a digital copy of the file back to tape (just like a file transfer). It has more to do with hard drive throughput than anything else.

~jr
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1294
Inner Circle

Yes Edward...the 3D feature isn't as simple to utilize as pan and crop, and you're right of course...last night I created a cool opening scene using 3d features...imported the veg file into the main project...the nesting feature is awsome...never used it before...

thank you very much for your input...and you too Gary and Don....
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM   #1295
Major Player

Greg,

Thanks for the info.

Vegas is a very good audio editor in itself. In fact it is known for it's ability as an audio editor. I have done numerous multitrack audio projects in it but haven't needed to use loops until now. I'm sure it can handle the loops if I can find someone out there how can help me get them to the timeline.

Thanks,

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM   #1296
Regular Crew

Audio only capture

I am trying to capture audio from a device, direct to Vegas 6. I have plugged the line out of the recorder, to the line in on my sound card. I can hear the audio from my PC speakers, (with or without Vegas open) but in Vegas, when I arm a track for recording, I am not getting anything on the meter, or when I try to record.

I changed the default setting in the audio options from Microsoft Sound Mapper to my Sound Blaster Live (no other options are available for change)

I have the most current sound card driver.

I can record and monitor audio in vegas if I plug into the mic input, but the recorder line out, is only a headphone jack, and it is too hot. When I try the line in on the sound card, there is nothing.

Any ideas?
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM   #1297
Sponsor: JET DV

In the preferences in Vegas, you must pick the proper sound devices. You must also pick the proper input for the track itself. Make sure all the various settings are pointing to the correct input.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM   #1298
Regular Crew

Thanks, I found a PC setting in the control panel under Sounds, where there was a record setting and the default device was Microphone. I switched it there and it seems to work great.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:27 PM   #1299
Inner Circle

So should I use a .m2t file from a DVD-R to print to the FX1 via Vegas? (DVD has no fragmentation)
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:34 PM   #1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
So should I use a .m2t file from a DVD-R to print to the FX1 via Vegas? (DVD has no fragmentation)

It is highly, highly unlikely that your DVD drive can sustain the throughput to print HDV to HDV tape, coming off of a DVD. Copy the files to a hard drive, THEN print to HDV tape via Vegas or CineForm.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM   #1301
Major Player

How do you ripple multiple tracks

I need to add some shots to a mostly finished project but I have to have all the related tracks move together so to keep text and PIPs on other tracks in their proper places. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:49 PM   #1302
Inner Circle

you can do it in a couple of different ways but usually what I do is highlite the top track press shift and highlite the bottom track (this will highlite everything in between) then right click to select events to the end and you can move them forward or backward on the time line and keep everything together OR you can highlite the events as above and press G to group those events and move them.
Rememer control Z is your friend (in case theres an OOOPPPS and you need to go back to the original)
Don
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1303
Major Player

I'm rendering to SD widescreen.

Here's another way to say what I mean:

If you start a standard SD 720x480 widescreen project and you import a HDV clip, then you go to the pan/crop window, right click and select "match output", it will crop a little off the top and bottom. If you change the dimentions to 704x480 then right click and select "match output", the frame will remain unchanged. In both cases the aspect ratio is a standard DV widescreen 1.2121. Obviously there is no 704x480 DV codec setting, but this size is an option when you render straight to mpeg (which I do anyway in order to get the improved colorspace).
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM   #1304
Tourist

I installed SP2 and now everything seems to work. Thank-you for the help.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM   #1305
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Spratt
Greeting,

I am looking at a couple of projects where a commercial client requires some interactive CD's to be generated that incorporate video, links to web url's, and multi-page menus.

What software have any of you successfully used in generating this type of disc?

Lance
I have found Multimedia Builder extremely easy to use and still be able to handle everything, buttons / video / URL's / multi-page / slideshows / navigation / etc. It has a scripting language so I was able to write a MPEG-4 / Xvid installer - and there is a big community sharing scripts and plugins - all for $199 ;)

Have a look at
http://mmb.mediachance.com/index.html

/magnus

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...