Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 93 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 13th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #1381

As I mentioned earlier, no one in the know can comment one way or another on anything Sony has planned, release cycles or otherwise. :-) Once Sony announces it, the floodgates of information may be opened. If there are any floodgates holding any information back, that is. :-)

I love Vegas too.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #1382
Inner Circle

Bob, go to the VAST site at http://vasst.com/product.aspx?id=86a...9-d80848cbd5ca and download Celluloid. You'll need to register (free) if you haven't already done so to get the program. Ignore the fact that it says $24.99 as the basic version (only 6 "looks") is free. The nice thing about it for you is that it has a "convert 4:3 project to widescreen" option. HTH.

Mike
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #1383
Regular Crew

You've touched on one of Vegas' strongest features: uninterrupted playback while you make changes. It's hard to explain to users of other NLEs just how great a feature this is.

One of the biggest differences between Vegas and FCP/Premiere/Liquid, etc, is that the timeline is really serving as your workspace. In the other programs, you have separate windows and tools to work on the media, then you add to or adjust what's on the timeline. To me, Vegas is just more direct and intuitive and doesn't hang onto outmoded workflows that are handed down from film editing.

Gary
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #1384
Trustee

I think that would cause some clipping of the height.. thaz I set the properties as PAL but render as NTSC. Hmm I'm a little confused now..
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #1385
Major Player

Can a Photoshop Action be applied to video in Vegas?

I know...
Wild question...

But can it be done?

THANKS

FYI: That includes... Corpus Christi, Galveston, Houston, Beaumont/ Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Penscola, Ft. Walton, Panama City... Any every little city and town in between.

If you need anything, Let's talk...
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Marks
I know...
Wild question...

But can it be done?

THANKS
Not so wild answer....

No.
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #1387
Trustee

Indirectly. Run the "Render Individual Images" script from Tools>Scripting, then run your action on the folder containing the images. Then you have to get them back in Vegas...
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #1388
Trustee

Synchronizing keyframe timeline to track view

I am stumped on what should be a simple task. How do you synchronize the keyframe timeline to the track view? I need an easy way to add keyframes at the "right" time. I thought double clicking on the appropriate point in the track view would move the keyframe timeline cursor, but no dice.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #1389
Trustee

A few things vs FCP

- Can edit while you playback
- Better keyframing control of audio envelopes on the timeline
- Can play back, in realtime, almost anything you throw at it.
- Faster, more responsive playback of effects, especially text media. Pop some text on FCP and watch it drop frames.
- More flexible arrangement of audio and video tracks on the timeline
- Auto cross fades
- Sub frame editing
- A keypress to cut/split - (stateless editing)

These are just a few things I have noticed (Hope I'm not wrong on any RE FCP) since I switched from Vegas to FCP.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #1390

In the lower left of the keyframe toolbar, you'll see a small icon that looks like a padlock.
Select this to enable synchronizing. This is found in all filters, Pan/Crop, and Track Motion keyframe tools.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1391
Trustee

Absolutely right! How come mine is greyed out, though? The event in question is a Text box. Can't you do it with the Media Generator?
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1392
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kleiner
You've touched on one of Vegas' strongest features: uninterrupted playback while you make changes. It's hard to explain to users of other NLEs just how great a feature this is.
Funny thing is, I think I learned how great that was from a comment you made in your training video!!! LOL! Since I've really only ever used Vegas, I just figured that's how ALL NLE's worked, but when I found out that wasn't true, I just couldn't believe it, not sure I could live without that one feature alone...
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Absolutely right! How come mine is greyed out, though? The event in question is a Text box. Can't you do it with the Media Generator?
Text and generated media don't get the benefit of syncing to the cursor. Sorry!
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1394
Inner Circle

I have Vegas 6, Premiere Pro1.5.1 and Edius Pro3. For me Vegas strong points are audio editing and keyframe controls, I like the titler and capture utility of Premiere and Edius Pro3 is by far the fastest editor for normal DV work being able to output realtime to DV tape without rendering. Most of my NLE experience was with Premiere and Vegas LE being used for audio with Sound Forge, I upgraded when I got my FX1 to do HDV editing and since then have not used Premiere very much. Edius is my main editor for DV editing and Vegas for HDV ( since I have been cropping a 4x3 SD image from the 16x9HDV, none of the other NLE's have the fine control of Vegas for this task). Without needing the cropping there is not much difference between Vegas and Edius for HDV editing, both will edit native m2t or have the option for an intermediate. Rendering of the HDV project created to export back to tape is about the same for both. Even as a hobbiest none of these NLE's do everything I want so I am happy to use each for their strengths.

Ron Evans
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #1395
Regular Crew

You CAN export your video FROM Vegas, do your operations in Photoshop, then Import the sequence back into Vegas:

1) Tools>Scripting>Render Image Sequence
2) Photoshop actions to the images
3)Vegas File>Import>Media>Open still image sequence.

Gary
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...