Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1441
Inner Circle

Sean: for maximum quality it's better not to downsample to SD resolution until you're done editing, so you should plan to use either Cineform or Gearshift for the editing phase and then output to widescreen SD MPEG2 for your DVDs.

I personally prefer solutions like Cineform which allow you to directly edit full-resolution files, but the Cineform codec expands HDV file sizes and hence requires more hard drive space. With a 300 GB hard drive you should be able to handle a few hours of Cineform footage before the drive fills up, but you'll probably quickly find you want a second hard drive so you can keep multiple projects online.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1442
Inner Circle

Editors- Codec and quality

I have just acquired FX1 and still have VX2K. I expected to use FX1 as a second camera in budding media business-- still using DV. Of course you can't help but play with HDV-- in the two weeks I have had camera, I probably sidetracked myself from my main goal because of the excitement about the HDV aspect.

Now, questions arise about editors in HDV- I have PP 1.51, Vegas 6 Plat, and I am even messing with Pinnacle 10 plus. I understand Pinnacle Studio 10 plus is based on Liquid editor now. In the past I have found PInnacle Studio programs easy to use in simple edits.

Ultimately, I assume there are different codecs used in rendering process. I had problems getting Pinnacle going, but finally appear to get a pretty good render out of it. What make the output of a Vegas or PP 1.51 superior to a Pinnacle product, if it does.
Old December 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1443
New Boot

Thanks for your responses everyone, appreciated. I can't wait for my HDR-FX1 to arrive so that I can start experimenting. I've got to film a 3 day corporate event in February - I did this in January this year (single handed using a Canon XM2), edited the footage with Vegas and the end result even impressed me!! So to have the ability to further improve the picture quality will be a huge bonus.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old December 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #1444
Tourist

Can I do this effect in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum?

On the Amazing Race (and many other shows) an effect is used in which a scene starts at normal speed and then the motion speeds up and then suddenly resumes normal speed. Is it possible to do this in VMS Platinum?

Thanks
Zack S
Old December 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #1445
Regular Crew

And, if you go ahead and capture the M2T files you then have an option in your VEG file to output back to tape in HDV or output to mpg for DVD. This is how I am doing it in order to provide more final output options IMHO. phil

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #1446
Sponsor: JET DV

The standard way to do this is in Vegas is using the Velocity Envelope. However, it don't believe the Velocity Envelope is in VMS (standard or platinum).

If you don't mind jumps in speeds, you could try splitting and using the CTRL-Resize method.
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #1447
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Connect HD 2.1 is now available. See www.cineform.com for details.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #1448
New Boot

Voice over recommendation

Hi All,

I'm happily editing away and Vegas 6c. I'd like now to add voice over wavs into the mix. could anyone recommend a setup hardware and software wise to record the voice?? I'd like to be able to plug a relevant microphone into the pc and use the recommended software to record to wav.

Cheers
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #1449

I fyou have Vegas, you already have a great software to record with, now you just need a microphone. More information about budget and type of sound you want are fairly applicable. For instance, you could get a high end USB mic, or get a similar mic with better sound card...it's all about balancing budget and needs.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1450
Trustee

I found the audio card on my main editing computer to be sadly, very very noisy. To get around this issue, I bought a decent condenser mic, boom type mic stand and a "pop-stopper" from Shure. I run the mic into an M-Audio Mobile-pre. It has phantom power for the mic, xlr and 1/4" ins with direct headphone monitoring and comes out as USB into the PC. I think it works pretty well but I am no expert on audio.

Just a suggestion. Douglas knows his stuff. I was fresh into all this again when I bought my setup to use portable as well as in the home VO studio. I hope I did the right hting and so far, It's worked for me for a few quickie VOs for some minor commercial and industrial pieces.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #1451
Regular Crew

Vegas audio sync Emergency! Help please!

Hey all,

Just shot an indian music video and I'm running into a major problem in post. My audio from the video is out of sync with the Wav file the client gave me! It seems like the audio from the video is about half a second longer than the wav.

Anyway, I shot in 24p (not 24pa) and I'm editing with vegas 5 on a 24p timeline. The client says the wav file he gave me is the exact one he used to make the CD we used for playback on the video and I know I've dealt with this problem before and I can't remember how I fixed it as its been a long time since I cut anything.

I'm thinking that there is either a setting that I need to change in vegas, or that the client needs to re-render the wav file in a different format (we've already tried WMA and AVI) He's using soundforge 5 and there is no 24p option as far as rendering is concerned, only 24 frames for film. would that help?

I guess I should add that it's not just lagging through firewire, I can see it lagging on the waveform. It starts out in sync and then gradually goes out of sync!

Arggh. help a brother out and I'lll give you credit as post-coordinator or something.

colinmcauliffe@yahoo.com
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1452
Inner Circle

IS the sample rate the same? CD audio is 44.1k your video is probably 48k. Check the wave file properties and if it is 44.1 just resample in Sound Forge to a 48k file. There is about an 8% error if the sampling is incorrect or over 4 mins an hour!!!

Ron Evans
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #1453
Regular Crew

Vegas colour differences?

Sorry about the bad thread title, but i didt know how to summarise my problem in a few words ;)

Ive captured widescreen (not procinema) gs400 footage with Vegas 4. When captured and previewed in the timeline, the footage all looks pretty normal. However, if I go and render it as an avi, or mpeg and view it in any program (i've been using VLC and WMP in particular), the footage is much more saturated, and darker (different gamma?!).

If I put the rendered file back into Vegas, it appears normal again in the preview window. Vegas dispalys the colours as no longer so saturated and it is not so dark.

I used VLC to take a snapshot and I printscreened the Vegas preview window and then compared them. A slight difference is noticable, but for some reason the VLC snapshot is not displaying a proper representation of what I am seeing - when I play back the rendered video in VLC it is MUCH more saturated and darker than what the snapshot appears.

Im SOO confused! Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks very much
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #1454
Inner Circle

Vegas puts proper digital black level at 16 (RGB) instead of 0. It puts proper digital while level at 235 (RGB) instead of 255.

So yes, those other programs make the video more saturated.

What Vegas is doing is nice because you have a bigger color space to play with and you lose less information on the high end. You gain about 0.3 stops from the superwhites (values above digital white level) and you don't get color saturation errors/clipping from the really bright values.

The other programs are better for presentation.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1455
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if video is shorter then make the audio shorter - hold down ctrl key while dragging the end of audio clip shorter to match length of picture .. or make the video longer -just drag clip longer while holding ctrl

you shot at 29.97 ( 24 plus pull down) .. while the CD playback i believe is based on AC 60cyles per second ( these days it could be some other figure but it is not based on video speed) ... for CD to match the video it would need to play back based on 59.94? not sure of exact fraction but 60cycles is not going to match 29.97 ..
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...