Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 98 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 19th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #1456
Inner Circle

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Bizarrely the problem only went away when I rendered out an uncompressed version then re-rendered that using the identical wmv settings that had failed when rendering from the original veg. Client happy. Me happy. Bank manager less unhappy.

Thanks again.

Ian . . .
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #1457
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Haines
Hi All,

I'm happily editing away and Vegas 6c. I'd like now to add voice over wavs into the mix. could anyone recommend a setup hardware and software wise to record the voice?? I'd like to be able to plug a relevant microphone into the pc and use the recommended software to record to wav.

Cheers
A good audio interface instead of a typical "blaster-type" soundcard and decent microphone are a must as the first step. Douglas's statement about Vegas being good software for recording is spot on <g>. I recently took the same first steps by purchasing an Echo Audiofire 8 firewire-based 8-channel audio interface and a Rode NT-1a studio condenser mic with shockmount and pop-stopper. Works like a champ with Vegas (or any other software you might choose)! While you're at it get a *good* set of pro-quality closed-back headphones - I use Sony MDR7056 - to wear as you're recording. As soon as possible a good set of monitor speakers for mixing would be in order. For optimum results look to your recording environment - one inexpensive trick is to make-up a desktop "announcing booth" out of foamcore board from the art supply store and acoustic foam.
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #1458

You can create a PAL DVD no probs.. Just render as PAL out of vegas and author the DVD with PAL settings..

But with VHS you will need a multi format VCR, one thats capable of recording PAL and im under the impresssion most consumer models in the USA wont do this..

Besides that you might want to check the location you are sending to is "normal PAL".. If im not mistaken, some areas use 60hz refresh rates (30fps) but use PAL colour and/or vice versa, i know for instance Rio has this unusual format..

If its not normal PAL and you are forced to make a guess, i would be more inclined to send NTSC.. From what i have found nearly all PAL countries DVD players and VCR can play NTSC these days..

Old December 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1459
Major Player

Excalibur keyboard shortcut multi-cam problems

This is a question for ED.

I'm using Vegas 5.0b and the latest Excalibur as a demo.

I have a 4 camera shoot I'm editing using the multicam. I have scripts for cam 1a, 2a, 3a & 4a as buttons in the toolbar at top of Vegas. I've linked them to 4 buttons on my ShuttlePRO2. It works GREAT!!!! Yes, I'm buying Excalibur, Ed. Right after Christmas.

The only problem is when I press a button for, say, Cam 1 and then continue when I cut to, say Cam 3 it doesn't add a new edit at the new spot on the timeline, instead it replaces that first cut of Cam 1 with Cam 3.

Hmmm. So. What's the problem?

Any ideas?

I'm hoping Ed will be observing and assist me with this.

Thanks.

sincerely,

ian
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #1460
Sponsor: JET DV

The problem is that you are not stopping playback at the new positions, adding the camera change, and then restarting playback. What you are describing is perfectly normal for Vegas 5. When running a camera switch, Vegas 5 sends the cursor position where playback was STARTED - not the current cursor position. The same was true for Vegas 6.0 and 6.0a.

If you upgrade to Vegas 6.0b or newer and reinstall Excalibur there, you will then see that live switching works as you are attempting to do. The ability to not stop the playback before running the camera switch was not added in Vegas until version 6.0b.
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #1461
Major Player

Hmmm. Maybe I found the problem?

Hello all,

I've been trying to apply the cuts on the fly by pressing the cam I want and then pressing play to continue playback.

What I've found is it works if I stop the playback first, pick my camera and then start the playback again.

Works fine.

Hmmm. Perhaps I should have checked this before I posted above.

Oh well.

If there's a way to select a cam on the fly (which stops playback) and then press play to continue and eliminating the need to stop and pick a cam I'd like to know.

Thanks again.

sincerely,

ian

***EDIT***

Thanks, Ed!

Yeah, I'll have to upgrade. That's the plan for tax time in March. Until then I'll have to use my little workaround.

Again, Ed. I LOVE EXCALIBUR! It is such a blessing for workflow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!

ian
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #1462
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Slessor
I have scripts for cam 1a, 2a, 3a & 4a as buttons in the toolbar at top of Vegas.
Note that the "A" switches place the dissolves AFTER the marker. The "B" switches will place them BEFORE the markers. The "D" switches is the standard "Centered on marker" dissolve.
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #1463
Major Player

Ed,

Thanks for the heads up.

Very helpful as always.

sincerely,

ian
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1464
Regular Crew

So there is not actaully a "problem" then. But how am I supposed to colour correct in Vegas if it will play looking differently?

Also, I posted this message at another forum, and Guy gave me an interesting answer...

http://pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=6241

What do you reckon about this?

Thanks again
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #1465
Major Player

A 16:9 anamorphic adapter attached to a HDV camera will give you an aspect ratio of 2.37:1 whilst mainting the full 1080 pixel vertical resolution. The stretched width would then be 2560 pixels wide. Has anyone tried this option? There's a 37mm Century anamorphic adapter that apparently allows full zoom through which I'm sure would work with an A1 or HC1.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #1466
New Boot

Capturing Video

Hey Guys,

First of all..... I need to say sorry for posting this if it has been beat to hell already. I am just wondering what is the best way (for quality) to capture from my GL2? I have Vegas for editing and I have a Canopus ADVC100 for capturing. Just one question.... I see there is a button on the front of the capture unit that says, "analog" and one that says, "digital". When I use the analog setting, everything comes over fine and I can edit and be on my way. But, when I use the digital setting, it drops frames and causes problems? My PC is very up to date and fast as far as processor and memory. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using the digial setting? Or is the analog setting ok?

Sorry for the dumb question.....

Thanks in advance !!

JT
Shooting nature, live music, sports, portraits
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #1467
New Boot

Capturing Video

Hey Guys,

First of all..... I need to say sorry for posting this if it has been beat to hell already. I am just wondering what is the best way (for quality) to capture from my GL2? I have Vegas for editing and I have a Canopus ADVC100 for capturing. Just one question.... I see there is a button on the front of the capture unit that says, "analog" and one that says, "digital". When I use the analog setting, everything comes over fine and I can edit and be on my way. But, when I use the digital setting, it drops frames and causes problems? My PC is very up to date and fast as far as processor and memory. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using the digial setting? Or is the analog setting ok?

Sorry for the dumb question.....

Thanks in advance !!

JT
Shooting nature, live music, sports, portraits
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #1468

John, since this is a standard definition question, not an HDV question, I'm moving it to the SD Vegas thread.

During capture, you don't need/won't need the Canopus unit at all. The Canon has a firewire output; connect this straight to your computer. Vegas Capture should recognize and control it correclty.

The Canopus box is for capturing analog video to the computer and for acting as an interface between computer and television monitor, converting the computer's digital signal to analog for the television to display.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1469
Trustee

Always capture using a FireWire cable from your camcorder to your capture device (in this case the Canopus box). Don't capture using analog cables (S-Video or RCA). Using the FireWire cable will give you a straight digital transfer of the footage from your camcorder to your computer, ensuring the best possible quality. There is no way to do an analog transfer via the FireWire cable. When you are capturing via FireWire you should set the ADVC100 to input selector to "Digital In". Try that and see how it works.

If you are still dropping frames, then something else is wrong. In that case I'd suggest defraging your hard drive and making sure it isn’t too full. And giving us the specs of your computer would help. ;-)
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1470
Trustee

John, please don't post in more than one section. This can be rather frustrating for users here who spend the time to answer your question in one place, only to see that another person has already answered it in another section. We all want to help you, but it makes it a lot easier if you post in one place.

Okay? :-)

(Note to moderators: Could you please merge the thread in the "Non-linear DV Editing on the PC" section with this one)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...