Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 99 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #1471
Inner Circle

1- The basic issue is the difference between 16-235 and 0-255 colorspace.

There may be gamma differences or the video card's overlay settings at work too, but I don't think so.

2- Both programs are "correct".

Vegas is geared more towards monitoring- seeing all of the information available in the image. It also allows you to bring illegal colors into the legal range. Illegal colors typically get clipped- you can bring them back into the range where they don't get clipped.

VLC and other programs are geared towards presenting material. The images will look proper and better.

You want to target for programs like VLC.

See http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...s_part_one.htm

If you are targetting DVD, aim for 16-235 color space. The playback device will expand that out to fit the display.

If you are targetting windows media or quicktime steaming/internet download, aim for 0-255 color space. Easy way to do that is to apply the color corrector filter, studio RGB to computer RGB preset.
Old December 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #1472
Major Player

Or you could send the script to a professional Voice Over and just have to plug in the resulting audio file.
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #1473
Regular Crew

Network rendering with mpeg2 and other file types together

So I am about to set up network rendering on my second box and was reading that I cannot use it to render either mpeg2 or ac3 files. My question is, will vegas direct those rendering jobs to my main box and send the other jobs to the second box, or will it try to render them on the second box and then barf because of licensing issues with the second box.

I generally render 5- 10 minute shorts into a couple different .wmv files (higher and lower bitrates), an mpeg2, and and .ac3 (for DVDA). Normally I'll open 3 instances of vegas (with 3 different shorts) and use the batch rendering script and do it, either overnight or while I watch a movie. If I enable network rendering will I still be able to do it that way or will I have to use "non-distributed network rendering" for the mpeg and ac3 jobs.

Also, can I run "non-distributed" and "distributed" network rendering jobs at the same time.

Thanks, I hope I was clear enough. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1474
Major Player

Excalibur multicam problem

Hello,

I have a timeline with four synced cameras.

All is well until I get to the last shot of the first act of the program.

The marker shows it should go to camera two but it doesn't appear on the master track. The master tally track has a clip but the master has nothing and so the camera switches to pip 4 cam view. Not what I had planned. I highlight that marker and try to change the camera and the program appears to accept it but still nothing appears.

BTW. The second act is cut and on the master track as well and it's fine.
It's only one small clip but it's frustrating me.

Any ideas?

Vegas 5.0b and latest Excalibur demo which, apart from this, I am loving.

sincerely,

ian
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:17 AM   #1475
New Boot

sony vegas + ae

i am a new vegas 6 user. my question is, is it better to use vegas with after effects or i have to use adobe premiere in order to go to after effects?

thanks
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM   #1476
Major Player

Using vegas is fine - there's no quality difference if yu use premiere rather than vegas
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM   #1477
Inner Circle

" there's no quality difference if yu use premiere rather than vegas"

actually there is, vegas aliasing (or lack of) is far cleaner, not to mention the codecs within vegas pretty much poo on anything (apart from the main concept codec, which is pretty ugly... )

as for AE, the initial response hit it on the head...
be aware that AE renders MUCH slower than Vegas..
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:38 AM   #1478
Inner Circle

teh dvds created in DVDA are al multiregioned unless ur creating a press master

there is NO NEED to change or rerender anything.
Simply ship out the NTSC dvd to PAL land, and note on the cover that as most DVD players automatically switch their settings based on the media in accordance with the playback device..

99% of dvd players do this colour switch on their own without any tweaking...
I do this kind of cross country work all teh time, from asia to the US to the UK all sourced from Aus.. ive never had a problem.
If someone tells me theres "no colour" i tell them to turn their dvd players to "Auto"...

ive only had to do that once in about 25 odd projects.. (and the guy was a dik, so i dont count that.. lol)
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM   #1479
Sponsor: JET DV

Ian, you'd need to e-mail me the VEG file as it was BEFORE running Multi-cam so I can test it out. To get you going quickly, though, just copy the proper camera up to the Master track and then remove the Pan/Crop on that event (which can be done very easily by selecting that event and using the "Reset Pan/Crop" tool in Excalibur). Also, note that my website is where you should really go for tech support for Excalibur.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM   #1480
Regular Crew

Bach Rendering

I want to render my project (4 hours) to fit on two DVD discs. How to split the timeline and after that render the project to get two separate MPEG files, one for first DVD and other for second DVD.
Regards
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1481
Regular Crew

Clouds,Rain,Baloons...Plugin

I want to add some video filters that simulates clouds, rain, baloons or something to my video clip. I can't find such plugin. Help.
Regards.
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1482

You can look at the Generated Media in Vegas but you may be better off looking at a particle generation program such as Particle Illusion.
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1483

Realistically, you should have done two renders - 1 for the first half and 1 for the second half. Assuming that you, instead, have one large file, you might look at a program such as Womble that can split an MPEG2 file without re-rendering.

If you haven't rendered yet, just create a selection area over the first half and render that selection area. Now create a selection area over the second half and render that selection area.
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM   #1484
Tourist

Video Output FX in Vegas 6 acting weird

Hi!

I recently began using Vegas 6 instead of version 5 of the program. I haven't noticed much differences yet, but the first thing that I discovered, is that when I played back a film in Vegas 6, that I had created in Vegas 5, the video output fx did not move anymore. (I have some film effects (dust, and so on)) In Vegas 5, they move, in Vegas 6, they stay still; not only in the preview window, but also after rendering. What's curious, is that I tested with a new project. I created a credit roll first, then inserted a movie clip. The video fx would move when the credit roll was playing, but when the movie clip began, it froze. (both in the preview window and after rendering)...

Have I missed something here?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Joachim
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM   #1485
Major Player

hehe - well there you go

go here:
http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/
download it - it's free - sometimes I use it to go from vegas to AE if I don't want to render out a big uncompressed avi file
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...