compositing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 14th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

compositing question

Hi,

I would like to create a hole in a picture to read text below but I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried creating a mask of the hole but I can't get it to "punch" through the picture to the next level.

More details: I have a jpeg of a puzzle with one piece missing. I would like to put text behind the puzzle. Then I want to zoom into the missing piece so that the text behind the puzzle is progressively exposed.

I've gone through the compositing section in DSE's book but I still can't figure out how to create a hole. Anyone know how to do this to give the effect I've described?

Thanks.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

How are you creating the mask? I just tested with a cookie cutter and Bezier masks and both seemed to work fine. Can you explain a little better what you're trying? And maybe even post an image and/or VEG file?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I tried several ways to create a mask but basically I made a copy of the missing piece of the puzzle in photoshop and turned it white on a clear background. I also tried to just use white letters generated by the media generator. I could see the underlying picture through the letters but this is not what I want.

Here, in more detail, is the effect I want:

I wish to see a picture of a puzzle on the screen. There should be text behind the puzzle that can not be seen because the puzzle blocks the view. The puzzle is missing one piece. (I have such an image in jpeg format). I want to zoom into the missing piece (which should be transparent) so that the text behind the puzzle is slowly exposed through the transparent missing piece of the puzzle. When fully zoomed in, I should be able to read the whole message originally blocked by the puzzle.

Hope I described the effect clearly. The problem is probably not making the mask, but how to apply it and composite the three layers to give the desired effect. Of course, any help in making the correct mask would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

pdx10, EOS10D
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Do this:

Track 1: Mask you have created - white for the cutout, black for the rest.
Track 2: Media to show in the WHITE of the mask
Track 3: Media to show in the BLACK of the mask

Add a Sony Mask Generator to the mask. Change the compositing mode of track one to Multiply (Mask).

Make Track 2 a child to Track one.

Now you will see track 3 in the black area and track 2 in the white area.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Edward,

Works like a charm. I also finally figured out what you meant by using the bezier mask in your earlier post. It also works great.

Thanks for your help and also all your tutorials!

pdx10, EOS10D
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just thought I'd post the end result that I achieved with your help. This is just a short intro for a home video. I like to make up logos for fake production companies.

Large version:
http://www.ibms.sinica.edu.tw/%7Esro...le/puzzle2.wmv

smaller version:
http://www.ibms.sinica.edu.tw/%7Esro.../puzzle2s2.wmv

If that doesn't work, here is the link page:
http://www.ibms.sinica.edu.tw/%7Esroff/puzzle.htm

The Bezier tool is very powerful. I finally figured out that I could zoom into the pan/crop window to get some fine control of the tool.

The 3D track motion was used to glide over the puzzle. The text effects were done following a DSE tutorial at dmnforums.

pdx10, EOS10D
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Steve,

Really good work! I'm impressed at how well its put together. I thought that the text font and color and the backround color didn't really match the puzzle (new age text vs. classic puzzle).

Very effective use of the 3D and track motion to zoom/tilt/pan to the missing piece. Bravo!
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Major Player

cool. Only thing I didn't like was when the puzzle hole backed away from me. Once I was at the hole, I want to just fall thru it. It was disorienting to back away and then go into it. But very imaginative and fun.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. I think your suggestions will make it better.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...