Problem with motion when rendering mpg at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 16th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Problem with motion when rendering mpg

If I render the sequence in AVI it looks fine but when I render as MPG-2 it looks terrible. The links below are samples of what I am talking about. The edges of the pictures blur as they move in the mpg.

76mb avi

7mb mpg-2

I usually use after effects and it looks much better. There must be something that I missing. It would be much easier to use vegas...

Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Before I even attempt to look at the clips, WHICH MPEG2 preset are you using? The default one is BAD.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Major Player

The default one. Which do you recommend?

I just tried it with DVD Arch stream and it did the same thing.

Thanks,

Jon
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Major Player

I am using a 3d track and moving the picture with 2 key frames. One key frame is off the screen and the other is where I want it to stop. I have tried changing the type of key frame(smooth, fast, etc) and I have also changed the smoothness from 100 to 1 and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks,

Jon
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #5

<<<-- Originally posted by Jon East : The default one. Which do you recommend?

I just tried it with DVD Arch stream and it did the same thing.

Thanks,

Jon -->>>

Which to I recommend? Basically any EXCEPT FOR the default. The default as many settings that severely reduce the quality. If going to DVD and using DVD Architect, I would recommend any of the DVDA presets and adjust the average bitrate as needed.
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #6

I only looked at the MPG2 file. I'm assuming you're referring to the double-white border I can see as the image is moving in? This is normal for an interlaced stream and will probably look correct on a TV after the DVD is burned.

Is TV your final destination? If yes, I would suggest burning a test DVD and playing it on the TV and see what you think of the results.

If TV is NOT the final destination, you might try rendering the MPG2 file as progressive instead.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you. I will try it later and post the results. My final destination will be both DVD and a Website.

Jon
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Inner Circle

ive actually stopped using teh Vegas Main concept mpg plugin due to speed, i know only use the main concept standalone encoder, which renders out at abotu 60fps, sometiems faster depending on what else im doing and the type of encode (constant/variable).

as for quality, i have also noticed that some motion clarity is lost, even when using teh DVDA mpg template..

remember that what ur doing in crunching 25mbps dv into an average of 6mbps mpgs....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I moved the keyframes from an interval of 1 sec to 2 secs. Then I rendered it progressive, 2 pass. And it looks decent.

I am going to redo it in After Effects and post them side by side. When I do it in after effects the pictures move onto the screen pretty flawlessly without using a progressive render.

I use to use vegas 4.0 with plug in pac and it worked much better than with 5.0.

Jon
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

have u tried supersampling the video??

supersample is absolutely rock solid for slow mo.. i have gotten footage down to less than 10% (progressive 25p) and its still solid and smooth..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #11
Major Player

I rendered it as a custom mpg-2 and it looks great on a tv but still looks playing the mpg-2 on computer. When I encoded it as wmv9, it solved the edge problem

Thanks for everyones help.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...