Video "noise" in rendered files... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Video "noise" in rendered files...

I've been reading & reading and can't find anything that directly addresses a problem i seem to be having...

Rendering out .avi's in the Lagarith codec (& intelYUV) i'm seeing slight "noise" in the video that's not there at all in the original captured file... I see this in both HDV & DVCAM footage (Sony Z1U), and that's rendered separately from separate projects, I'm not mixing HDV & SD video...

Anyone have any ideas? I'm new to Vegas (use Avid at work), and all of these options are making me crazy! :)

Oh, I'm running Vegas Pro 9 on an Intel Core i7 920, 6 Gb DDR3 ram. Thanks!
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Can you post a screenshot of the source and the same frame of the rendered file?
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Can you post a screenshot of the source and the same frame of the rendered file?
I will when i get home, i work late nights...
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Alright, here's a screenshot straight out of Vegas, where i get shiny happy playback:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...as_preview.jpg

I couldn't get a still that represented what i'm seeing in the render, but basically it looks like the grass is gained up really high, that kind of noise, if that makes sense... Even though it was shot with no gain...

(couldn't get the image to show in this post, just the link... is that the forum limiting me, or am i missing something?)
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you go into file properties? What are your file settings? Size, interlacing, etc. Do they match th source footage? And when you render, what are the settings you use?
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Major Player

properties are 720x480, field order: lower first (this is DVCAM video), pixel aspect 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen), frame rate 29.97; full res - Best, pixel format 8 bit, motion blur is gaussian, and deinterlace is Interpolate. Adjust source media to match is also checked.

I also realized this morning that I left out what is probably a HUGE piece of information and probably "solves" the whole thing... The "noise" is showing up the most when burned and played back on dvd with an old version of Nero... I'm thinking i need to use a better compressor for burning... Could be a MAJOR "doh!" moment on my part!

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; September 19th, 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added info to settings...
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Bryan. It would be a lot more helpful if you could post a frame that shows the noise. You can rip the VOB file from the DVD and put it on the Vegas timeline, then do a frame capture as before. Nero may give you conversion artifacts but I wouldn't have thought it would add noise unless you have adjusted something else as well. What bitrate did you use for the MPEG2 conversion?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Alright, ripped the VOB back into Vegas, and this is what i get... The pic shows interlacing, though, so that might muck up what i'm talking about...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2..._vegas_cut.jpg

Just can't seem to get a reasonable representation of what i'm seeing up here... ugh.

I didn't do the MPEG2 conversion, let the burning program do it automatically... which i'm thinking may be the problem...

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; September 20th, 2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added more info...
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:28 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Bryan. The first image is widescreen, but the second one has pillar bars which either means it has been squeezed into a 4:3 DVD project, or that the VOB file properties in Vegas are off.

I suggest you try using Vegas to render the file as a DVD-compliant MPEG2 which DVDA will accept without any recompression. Use a bitrate of 8Mbps CBR and you should get great results. Remember to set the aspect ratio to widescreen, both when you render from vegas and when you make the project in DVDA.

Use a short clip for the test and let us know how it goes.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Hoping i've got this knocked... Did a reformat & reinstall of Windows 7 RC & Vegas/DVDA (various & sundry reasons...), burned a new test disc in DVDA & am just waiting on my brother & his gf to finish watching Amadeus so i can test in on the HD set...
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Okey dokey, 8 Mbps MPEG2 burned in DVDA at the 720x480 60i NTSC, looks great, no visible noise...

I *really* don't know why i was getting 4x3 before, both my project & burn settings were widescreen... But after reinstalling, it goes away... that's windows for ya...
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...