DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/41400-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q3q4.html)

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 02:49 PM

Titling - in Vegas 6.0

I purchased the book Instant Vegas Movie Studio + DVD book (VASST training) and I love it, (but) it leaves out quite a bit when it comes to the 6.0 version that I have - I'm trying to Title, but I find no place where there is a type-background tab. I'm quickly discovering the book doesn't cover my version of the software - so the forum has helped out tremendously in that area. If anyone can offer any help, that would be great. I'm trying to do a simple black background with white type, but I cannot find the editing tab to compose type.

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 02:57 PM

Mapping sound in Vegas Movie Maker

Mapping sound in Vegas Movie Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to do a "mountain pattern mapping" of background music over dialogue - lower and raise it in relationship to the dialogue without just lower the db of the whole audio wav - can I map the sound on the timeline so it can go down during dialogue moments and raise it up for non-dialogue moments??

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 02:58 PM

Can Vegas Movie Maker + Platinum do a slow-mo

Can Vegas Movie Maker + Platinum do a slow-mo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wanting to do a slo-mo montage of some clips, but not sure how to go about this...Can I take existing captured footage and add just this effect to those clips in the timeline WITHOUT altering the whole project as slo-mo??

Jon Fairhurst July 10th, 2006 03:09 PM

I'm not sure about the Movie Maker version, but in pro you can add an envelope to a given track's timeline and then ride the volume up and down as needed. You can even do this on the dialog syllable by syllable to make it more even and intelligible.

Right click the track control window to the left of the timeline, and enable the volume envelope. (Again, if available in that version.)

You can also use compression after the two tracks are mixed together (on the pro version for sure). Compression mixes both tracks up when quiet and down when loud automatically.

Personally, I like doing it manually as much as possible to ensure that the dialog is as even and intelligible as possible. Compression is great when used well, but can be easily abused.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2006 03:13 PM

The description Jon gave is the identical procedure for Vegas Movie Studio as well. Select audio track, hit the V key on your keyboard. Double click the resulting envelope to put in envelope points. Use the mouse to raise/lower the envelope points.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2006 03:14 PM

Actually, the title tab is the same in all versions of Vegas Movie Studio, I'm not sure where you're missing the tab, unless you've closed down the Generated Media tab. If so, simply go to "View" and select Generated Media.

Edward Troxel July 10th, 2006 03:22 PM

Hold down the CTRL key and resize the clip.

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 03:30 PM

re-sizing it by dragging it out without looping??

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 03:32 PM

the only tab I have from what you have described is "Media Generator"...

Don Bloom July 10th, 2006 03:40 PM

OK in Generated Media there should be a menu of sorts that gives you some options, RE: Text, Scrolling text, backgrounds Etc.

Don B

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 03:45 PM

I found the text, but not sure how or where to preview the text when composing it....

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2006 03:54 PM

1. Drop the text on the timeline.
2. Click the small green indicator in the upper right of the text event.
3. The Text Editor opens, edit the text. If you have your cursor over the area that contains the Text Event, then you'll see the text as you type it in.

I don't use the text this way, I prefer to create a region, right click in the region and choose "Insert Text." The dialog/editor opens immediately.

Bill Porter July 10th, 2006 04:06 PM

Thanks, Magnus. Good stuff.

Nick Outram July 10th, 2006 04:14 PM

anti-vignetting mask...

Hi,

I recently bought one of those Letus35 35mm film lens units but am getting some vignetting on my HC1. I can zoom in to fix but would like to try getting rid of the problem in post to see if that allows me to have the widest angle.

I got the following reply on the Letus Forum regarding creation of an anti-vignetting filter:

"Nick,
i do it in After Effects:
1. before every shot i shoot uniformal surface(or after changing lens)
2. open it in AE.
3. create mask using given footage(from black to white).
4. open my actual fotage in AE
5. use on my mask blending mode(overlay, stencil luma ...depends of masks character)
"

-I kinda get what the guy was saying -you use a mask as a kind of gradiant filter. The darkend corners will apply some brightness gain to the underlying image. The white centre sections will not apply any.

Is this sort of things easy to do in Vegas? Has anyone done it of perhaps a pre-prepared anti-vignetting filter is available?

Regards, Nick.

Magnus Helander July 10th, 2006 04:21 PM

Vegas 7 - late september

New Vegas 7 for HD video editing and production
See the newest version of Vegas® software! Vegas 7 includes key enhancements that provide better editing solutions for HD, increased playback performance for both audio and video, a robust XDCAM workflow and advanced editing functionality for increased productivity. Also on show is DVD Architect™ 4, which is included in the Vegas+DVD Production Suite. Vegas 7 is available in late September, with French, German, and Japanese versions available in the following weeks.

http://www.ibc.org/cgi-bin/exhib_det...cgi?db_id=4287