Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 103 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #1531
Major Player

I'm running with the connect HD demo now, and it's *really good*, at least in terms of performance ... even on my 2ghz machine, it makes the HD passable... very nicely done, and using the software to capture into their codec is definitely better than rendering into their codec from the vegas timeline (e.g. the no additional cost method).
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1532
Trustee

Hmmm... That explains a lot.

Thanks Spot.

I mistakenly thought that because the project was short (8 mins), I could get higher rez on a DVD.

Right now I've got a beautiful looking 7gb avi that drops to a 500mb mpeg2.

The output is for a short film fest, so they will be projecting, and I am trying for the the highest possible rez. Any suggestions? I was going to print to tape, but you mentioned that this would also be mpeg2, so I'm assuming it would be nearly the same file size.
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1533
Regular Crew

I've been using "trough" tracks as well to dump the clips I want to insert later on. However I wish there were a way to drop them into the media bins (of course it doesn't work when you try that) where I could organize and name them, ie. "green hat next to vase", "cat on a chair", etc.

My clip pooling tracks can contain as many as 50 small clips, and I waste a lot of time digging through this trough track to find the 1 sec clip that I trimmed and tossed in there an hour ago.

Is there a better way of organizing clips than this?

tia!
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM   #1534
Jubal 28

You can make subclips in the Trimmer and they will appear in your media pool. You can rename them anything you want.
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1535
Regular Crew

You can definitely multi-instance.

I think I've gone as far as having 8 instances of Vegas 7 open, but I'm running with 8GB of RAM. To be fair, I was only rendering on a few of them.

If you're marginally brave, you can change the process priority of the background-rendering Vegas instances in the Task Manager to make your live-edit instance a bit more responsive on over-taxed hardware.
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM   #1536
Inner Circle

Vegas 7 Export markers

Is it possible to export markers in Vegas 7? I have just upgraded from Vegas6. Vegas isn't my normal editing program ( Edius Pro3) but I thought I would take the time and see how Vegas 7 and Architect work together ( I normally use DVDLab Pro 2). I hit the same frustation level I usually hit with Vegas!!! I exported a 39 min video with 56 markers I had set. To see how this all worked with markers as chapters in Architect. Imported into Architect, file properties show the marker being present but Architect does not see them. In fact I can't seem to set architect up to place markers at all!!!. So I thought I would just export the markers. Searching under Help for export markers in Vegas gave a large list none of which covered exporting markers!!!.
Any help on either topic would be useful!!

Ron Evans
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1537
Sponsor: JET DV

When you render the file, there's an "Include Markers" checkbox. Was that checked? If not, they weren't saved with the file. There is a script (somewhere) that will save the markers to the proper file which could then be imported into DVD Architect.
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM   #1538
Inner Circle

Yes I did export correctly and I have eventually managed to get the markers to appear. I started a new project as single file. I originally started a project of menu based, which is what I really want of course, but with starting that way I am unable to set any markers and they do not show on the timeline. I like most people, I am sure, want to make a DVD that starts with a title screen that has a play button and a menu button , so that one has the option of starting at the beginning and watching the whole DVD or selecting the particular scene for viewing. An obvious aid is using the markers to create the menus. In DVDLab PRo this can be done automatically or manually, with complete control over backround image etc. Either I am missing something or this is not possible in Architect. This is clearly not an obvious choice for the designers of Architect!!! They seem to have included incredible capability that I don't need and missed most of what I want.
I thought I might export the locations of the markers so that I could still use DVDLab PRo by importing the markers. Clearly this is not possible in Vegas 7 either.
I love Vegas for its audio capability and upgraded to Vegas7 because it was a good deal. But I think I will stay with my present approach of using Edius for video, Vegas for audio mixing and DVDLab Pro for DVD creation.

Ron Evans
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:13 PM   #1539
Inner Circle

Well I figured it out. I can now get Architect to do most of what I want. Maybe after a bit more experimenting myself I will have a better opinion of it. I think life would be a lot better if both Vegas and Architect help files were rewriten by someone else!!!

Ron Evans
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM   #1540

The Vegas help files are definitely not all that helpful.
Having DVDLab, and having used it a lot in the past, I think with a little help and tutoring, asking questions, whatever....you'll find you love DVD Architect 4. It is the first DVD authoring app that has allowed me to completely walk away from DVD Studio Pro for many projects. It's fat, powerful, and chock-full of semi-hidden features.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1541
Regular Crew

Ron,
There is a script that will export markers for use as chapter points in DVDA. I don't remember where to get it, but you can probably find reference to it on the Sony Vegas forum: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for....asp?ForumID=4

Search for Export markers.

Regards,
Jerry
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM   #1542

A slightly different version may be found at this link.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM   #1543
Inner Circle

I am sure just like Vegas, Architect has more hidden features than meet the eye. Vegas 7 is definately faster than Vegas 6 so I will work at it as it is my favourite program for audio for many years though for video it has frustrated me by how slow it has been compared to Edius etc. Certainly I just managed to complete this test video of a dance excercise with 58 excercises ( 42 mins long)and that is why I wanted very accurate markers and menus, not something that is that easy with Edius/DVDLab because of needing iFrames at marker/chapter placement. For a first attempt it worked but I need to work on the menu design as I know how to do this well in DVDLab but this first attempt in Architect looks like my first DVD's using DAZZLE DVD many years ago!!!!!!!!
For the sort of project I just tested I need to find out how to create all text menus using the marker names in column form.

Ron Evans
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1544
Regular Crew

Thank you.

I never used the Trimmer before. In fact I never used the Project Media pane before either. It's much easier doing it this way!
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM   #1545
Regular Crew

Slow down audio exactly 4% for 23.976?

If I have slowed down the framerate of my movie to 23.976 in filmmaker but now need some "filler" audio from the original file... do I slow this audio down exactly by 4% ? (or is it 4.12843234... some silly number?) and, how can I do this easily in Vegas?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...