Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 109 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #1621
Regular Crew

Bug or Setting, Video dissapears...

I am working with Vegas 7, HDV video in CH Codec. Working on movie so usually just working with the one track of video but had a flashback so added a second (from a different file). On this 2nd video track I did not need the audio so deleted that tracks audio. The video worked fine when I initially edited it. Saved it, closed it. Next day opened it and a "placemarker" is there but video not. I right clicked this placemarker and it says it's one of my audio files!! (just a simple background noise audio file I made). What happened...?? is this a bug? or... am I doing somthing wrong? I repeated and rebuilt the same file, saved it, and re-opened it and the same thing happened. In the projects "Project Media" folder all sorts of strange things happen when clicking folders I made... once again, video file swapped for .wav file... I re-added and then clicked away and back and it changed again... Has anyone had this problem? is there a fix?
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1622
Sponsor: JET DV

I've not ever seen that happen. So it's trying to say you had an audio file on a video track?
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1623
Regular Crew

very strange...

Yes, tried 4 times now. Every time re-open file the video is gone (white) and when right clicked, it says it's now my ambient.wav file..???? Anyways tried a different .avi file, saved it and re-opened and that was ok... remained fine on the 2nd video timeline so, looks like it is strange behavior with that file in this .veg only because I used that file in a different scene .veg and everything is ok with it their! Now... I created a new .veg file, and am re-rendering out the pieces I need from the strangly behaving .avi and hopefully that will work.
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #1624
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Dave

I have not decided or been told yet. I believe it has to be delivered on Tape. It will go to a "post/production house" from me so I am not sure. I will shooting again Saturday. I tried the slowmo on vegas7 contl drag worked just fine. Close up of piano playing fingers in slow mo is very interesting to me anyway. Might be like watching paint dry for others!
Hi John .. well, it'll be hard to say at this point what options, dropdowns, etc. to select without the project(s) being more defined. I think the basics are above and just suggest to add posts to this (or appropriate) thread(s) and people will be happy to jump in and help out as you go!
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #1625
Regular Crew

That Worked

Re-rendering a new file worked... strange behavior. For some reason, for that .veg only, Vegas saw that .avi file as a .wav file... Oh... well... back on track
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #1626
Regular Crew

Best DVD Settings for Vegas 5.0

Now I know I'm editing on ancient equipment here compared to all you 6 and 7 users but I needed to throw this question out there anyway.

What are the best/proper settings to render a file (widescreen or regular) that will be burned to a DVD? Now I've burnt many a video to DVD before with Vegas but they never have the full clarity and/or overall picture quality that I can get on my PC (and I hugely noticed this just recently as we got a new HD 1080i TV and my latest Vegas to DVD creation doesn't look very appealing at all).

Now to try and answer a few of your questions in advance so you can answer mine; I'm shooting on a Sony VX2100, I render in MPEG-2 format (DVD NTSC), then import it all into DVD Architect and go from there.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or better yet, what settings are you using?
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #1627

Use the DVD Architect presets when rendering to MPEG2. They are set up to give good results.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #1628
Major Player

Robb - yes, I've noticed things like that too, esp. more recently rendering SD out for playout on a hi def 'tv'. For mpeg2, vegas uses the mainconcept encoder, which I had long ago gotten away from because I didn't like its encoding results (esp. with interlaced material) when the target display was SD. What I had done was render the finished edit out to an AVI file and then encode in procoder (or also now using sorenson squeeze). There are other encoders out there too that people are using like tmpgenc (tsunami).

Try cranking up the bitrate and do a 2 pass VBR encode in vegas and see if that helps, and also set the quality as high as you can (will take more time to process).

Also, you may want to add a slight softening or noise reduction filter on your video and see if that helps the encode. Of course it will take more time to process, but is worth a test.
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1629
Jubal 28

Ed's got it right, of course. Use the DVD Architect templates. They create ideal files for DVD Architect to work with.

If you use something else (like Procoder or Squeeze) and set the parameters too far away from the DVD Architect template, DVD Architect will simply re-render the video to its own ideal and use the MainConcept coder to do it . . . and it will increase your DVD authoring time.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1630
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. For some reason I never put 2 and 2 together to think that perhaps the Architect templates would work for Architect! Guess I'm just dumb. I'll try that out and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #1631
Regular Crew

You are the man!
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #1632
Trustee

Capture breaks files into ~500K pieces (thousands of them)

I have been capturing SD DV video with vegas 6.0d for over a year now, so this came as a shock when I recently tried to capture from my HDR-FX1. The video that was being captured was broken up into tens of thousands of avi files each no more than 500KB!

I reset the Vegas capture app to the defaults and nothing changed. I still get thousands of files each no more than 500KB. Yes I checked to see what the minimum clip length was (3seconds).

First I tried capturing on my other computer (the alienware) and it gave me the same problem, if it worked at all (wouldn't recognize the camera). So back the Dualie computer to do an OS image restore (thank goodness for TrueImage). Then installed a clean Vegas, updated to 6.0d expecting nothing but vanilla software functional goodness.

Same problem! This leads me to think that the problem lies with the camera. Since I rent my camera from my operator (as Japanese Sony HRD-FX1) I wonder if there has been a change on the camera's settings that can change how it allows footage to be captured. Anyone out there run into this problem? I am in desperate need of my footage from the business shoot I posted about last week (live auction).

EDIT: I am thinking this has somethign to do with the HDR-FX1s simulation of 24p footage as it seems that each clip is a single frame of video with the associated audio. When scene detection is turned off, the capture seems to proceed normally except all the project and media settings are screwed up for the aspect ratios.

But that still brings up the question of why can't Sony's own app talk to Sony's camera to capture (simulated) 24p footage with scene detection turned on?

Thanks for the help, ya'll.

jason

Last edited by Jason Robinson; December 8th, 2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #1633
Trustee

change to draft mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bickford
Pardon the simple question. I've been using Premiere Pro too long.

Q. Following addition of an effect or transition to a clip one would normally render in P-pro. Once rendered, the clip would play back in "real time". How do I do this with Vegas? I have a small clip with an effect in my timeline. It plays back sluggishly. How do I render?

Thanks
Some times the effects being applied are just too taxing to see in real time at high res. For my system I found that when I am adding loads of audio tracks (about 3-6) and one ore two videos (PiP effect) plus color correction, plus contrast, plus some colorization effects things get MIGHTY sluggish. I have to switch from Good, down to preview, and some times to draft quality. Often times a reboot helps clear up that problem. Another culprit has been a fragmented file systme so the discs are jumping aroudn looking for the rest of the media file.

jason
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #1634
New Boot

Pan, Scan, and Zooming how to!

Hi, I am trying to do pan, scan and zooming on still pictures with Vegas 7; need advise on the how to do this. Obviously, iam a nub in editing, so please feel free to fill in all the detail as you can.

Thanks

Tung
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #1635

Look at Vol 1 #8 of my newsletters.

Basically, open Pan/Crop, right-click the image, choose "Match Output Aspect", and adjust and add keyframes as needed.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...