Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 114 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #1696
Sponsor: JET DV

Based on re-reading this, I'm betting your preview is now on "Best (Full)". Change the preview mode back to "Preview (Auto)" and all will be fine again. It's one of the options above the preview screen.
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1697
Major Player

Output to YouTube

Does anyone here use YouTube?

YouTube says

Quote:
We recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 320x240 resolution with MP3 audio, at 30 frames per second. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.
But Vegas doesn't output to Divx or Xvid. Be really nice if it did... hint hint Sony. So what's the second best option?

EDIT: Mods you can delete this, I found this thread, sorry
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=youtube
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1698
Regular Crew

Hi Burk

Got mail from David Taylor at CineForm, and they will look into it.

My specs
Asus P5WD2 Premium
Intel Pentium D 3.0
2 gig ram
Updated XP on IDE
Video on sATA 2x500 Raid 0
Matrox Parhelia APVe
M-audio ext soundcard

So it should not be the hardware.
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1699
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

when i have short projects i usually change the min bit rate to 5,000,000 ( from 192k) and use 2 pass ...
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #1700
Major Player

Thanks a bunch Arnt - you really pointed me in the right direction I think!

Did an uninstall of Connect HD (including the codec)
Uninstalled Vegas 7c.
Shut down computer….wait a couple minutes…
Re-install Vegas 7c.

Open problem project and try and reproduce crash – can’t seem to get it to croak. My framerates have fallen to around the 19-20s but I can live with it. In the interest of time and to make sure I’m solid I’m going to just work with this config for a while and see how it goes. So far things look solid.

From what I understand The Cineform guys can’t reproduce the crash, I have an open support ticket with em’ and David (from Cineform) and the Sony forum admin have replied to my post on the Sony Forums. Really appreciate your help here David and Forum admin.

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1701
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Alvidrez
So what I need to know is there some way to undo that partially ran script?
Try Ctrl+Z. I test scripts all the time and Ctrl+Z (or Edit > Undo) usually undoes whatever the script did. If not, Edward is probably on the right track. The script set your preview to full to take snapshots for the thumbnails. Just set it back again.

~jr
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #1702
Regular Crew

I have loaded wmv files with reasonable results. Just ensure that the file size is as close to the maximum allowed as possible (100MB)
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1703
Inner Circle

You can download these codecs and use them from Vegas. I've been testing the various mpeg4/divx codecs recently.

Yesterday I created an mp4 file with the mainconcept mp4 codec. I believe that one came with the most recent Vegas 6 download.

Also, you might want to download and use vitrualdub. Many excellent plugins are available for that program that make it a nice compliment to Vegas. Essentially, I am exporting lossless AVI files from Vegas, then de-interlacing and adjusting frame rate in virtualdub (29.97 to 24 IVTC).

Best of luck.
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #1704
Major Player

Thanks JR and ET. What I ended up doing was reinstalling because I was needing to get some work done right away. JR, I did hit CTL Z and it never undid it. I'll remember to check that next time ET.
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #1705
Major Player

I have the divx create 6 bundle and it doesn't show up as a render option for me in Vegas.

Thanks for the tip on the WMV's though.
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1706
Trustee

YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tesh
Does anyone here use YouTube?

YouTube says

But Vegas doesn't output to Divx or Xvid. Be really nice if it did... hint hint Sony. So what's the second best option?

EDIT: Mods you can delete this, I found this thread, sorry
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=youtube
I was wondering the some thing since I just created a 3Mbps WMV and uploaded all 29MB of it. The results are less than steller and if Vegas could render to Divx / XVid that would be great.

So is it possible to create a new render option and if so, where & how?

jason
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #1707
Inner Circle

I downloaded and installed both Xvid and Divx 5.x onto my PC. When I go to render, and I chose AVI, I have both of those codecs, and the other's I've downloaded as options.

Edit:

Whoops. I have to retract this. I selected these codecs but couldn't output. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Perrone Ford; December 15th, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1708
Major Player

Another basic question about inserts

Since I see that basic questions are well-tolerated here, I feel safe in asking this...I've heard that Vegas is a little "different" from the other editing programs. That attracts my attention. So what I'd like to know is how an insert edit is done in Vegas and whether it's any different from, say, FCP? Personally, I'd love an insert that's done by parking the B-roll clip on another track above the main video A-roll track so that you always see what was there before the insert, what's the "activated" track and what's the source of the nat sound audio. That way, to change an "in" point and "out" point could be as simple as sliding the insert clip to the right or left. Am I only dreaming or is an acceptable way to do inserts in Vegas?
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1709
Inner Circle

No, you're not dreaming. If you do it the way you described, an insert edit (cuts only) is exactly what would happen.
The topmost track always has priority over anything below it.
The audio is whatever is playing on the timeline. If you had 10 tracks of continuous audio, you'd hear all 10 simultaneously.
In your example, if the insert had background sound, you could either leave it alone or add a volume envelope (search the help menu for this feature) to raise or lower the volume of the track(s) at the time of the edit.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #1710
Major Player

Wow, that is really nice. Now here's the follow-up--is that feature (top track priority) unique to Vegas? Or is that the way "cuts-only inserts" are handled in pretty much all the other editing programs?
One other question--just exactly what makes Vegas "different" from the rest of the herd? Is it the interface?
These questions are coming from someone who's edited on ScreenPlay, an editing "appliance," for the past 6 years or so. I'm pretty much a 'cuts and a couple audio tracks' sort of person, doing docs and event stuff. I'm so visually oriented that I like to be able to "see" everything I'm working with. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind. (For example, as I recall from FCP, when you drop an insert onto the time line, the replaced video isn't "seen" anymore. I don't like that.) I like "seeing" as many clip icons in the bin as possible, I like being able to "see" all the video and audio tracks I'm laying down. Does Vegas sound like a nice "fit" for me or am I inviting aggrevation and a steep learning curve?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...