Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 124 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #1846
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward,

I thought it may have just been the lack of power in my computer, but there are probably a few mistakes in the clip itself.

I tried adjusting a few things to make my computer faster, and now I can't render anything at all. It starts to render and before it gets to 3%...Vegas shuts completely down.
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1847
Regular Crew

Okay, I think I may know what's wrong. I'm a real newbie, so if this is a cardinal sin, please feel free to point and laugh as much as you want.

When I have a large clip (say a 17 second long Master shot clip), I lay it down and during the conversation of the two people, I'll do cutaways to each one once in a while. All I do for the cutaways, is select the person's close up, choose the video portion only, and simply lay it right over the large 17 second master shot, using it's audio, but hiding the video under the "cutaway" shot I laid over it.

Could this be my problem? If so, do I really have to go back and re-edit all these longer clips, cutting up the sequential audio, etc?
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1848
Sponsor: JET DV

No, that is not a problem. However, you may see a slight stutter during preview when it switches clips. Rendering should not be an issue.
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1849
Regular Crew

Did you click the record button at the bottom of the timeline section? There are two buttons to hit...one to arm the track (on the audio track on the left) that gets Vegas ready to record, and then the little record button at the bottom of the display section. I had a similar problem the first time I tried VO in Vegas. Hope this helps.
Randy
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1850
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stewart
Did you click the record button at the bottom of the timeline section? There are two buttons to hit...one to arm the track (on the audio track on the left) that gets Vegas ready to record, and then the little record button at the bottom of the display section. I had a similar problem the first time I tried VO in Vegas. Hope this helps.
Randy
Eureka! The record arm button was hidden behind the timeline--had to reduce the timeline window just to see the little bugger. works perfectly now. Thanks.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1851
Regular Crew

Same results here!

I've been using the sheer codec for about a year now and have unsuccessfully been able to use it to and from Vegas 6 & 7. It just crashes Vegas like DSE said. I am aware that bitjazz is gearing up to release a avi version vice quicktime's mov. Hopefully, it will work properly at that time.

Juan
Old December 26th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1852
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1853
Regular Crew

Thanks to all at DV Info

I wanted to give thanks to Douglas Spotted Eagle, Edward Troxel, and many others on this forum who helped point me in the right direction for editing the "Chew On This" Saltwater Fishing Show. I wanted to post a couple of links for you guys to see what I was able to do with your help. I have been on the Sportsman Channel for 6 months now and I just signed up with them for another year. I have also been on Comcast locally for about 14 months straight. With the help from some forum members I was also able to get an HDV pilot converted to a HDCAM pilot for the Outdoors Channel to reveiw. The show made it to the board meeting where I was informed they believed it was too regional to fit in the direction the company was looking for. Even though I was turned down I did find some positives in the experience. 1) They thouht the editing was up to the level of their HD programing. Douglas Spotted Eagle insisted many times the HDV format would pass the networks demands and I believe he was right. 2) The professional advice I recieved here was better than any advice I found anywhere else. Everyone here is applauded by me.

I am now in the process of attempting to ad all of the cool jumpbacks, wipes, sound FX, and other candy items that will give the show it's final pizazz. If you guys get a chance take a look at the shows on youtube and see if you recognize the content. I also need suggestions on how to add the fancy wipes and other lower thirds. I have made many of my own but I believe I can do or find better. Thank you all for your help and time. Happy New Year!

Double Trouble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab6A1kltyrE
Fishbelly Snookin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOqycelgQP8

P.S.
I have not been able to post for awhile. For some reason when I attempt to log on with Aol to DV Info I get sent back to the log on screen. I really don't know what is happening.

Regards,
Capt Ben
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #1854
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chancey
P.S.
I have not been able to post for awhile. For some reason when I attempt to log on with Aol to DV Info I get sent back to the log on screen. I really don't know what is happening.
This will happen if your browser is set to refuse cookies. I had the same problem on a synth forum and it was because I wouldn't accept 3rd party cookies from the site.

-gb-
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #1855
Regular Crew

Thanks Greg!

I was able to get through in Explorer but not Aol.
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #1856

Ben,
Major congrats! It seems the outdoor arena is very saturated with HDV; I'm aware of a couple other cable shows both regional and national using the HDV format.
Congratulations on your successes and I hope for many more to come your way. For lower thirds/wipes, etc, you might find customizing some of the GrafPaks for Ultimate S will get you there, or perhaps we (or other forum member) can custom-build something for you. We do a lot of that sort of thing around here.
Don't be afraid to use masks for lower thirds or wipes, and don't be afraid to freeze frames, put them in Photoshop or other graphic editor, and use those for transitions.
You might find this article to be of use in making custom transitions.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1857
Regular Crew

Douglas,

Once again thanks for all the help. I know you don't have to take the time to help me out but you do anyhow. I really appreciate it. I will read the link. I am attempting to keep up with some of the bigger budget shows with animated lowerthirds and overlays. I have used the edited photo shop type stuff but it seems as if the other shows still have a more polished look than I do. Good Lord willing I will be able to find a little niche that will allow me to achieve an equal or nearly equal look of theirs. The budget has been very tough. I have a sponsor who pays the airtime for the show. Everything else is on my own. I even told my wife not to get me anything for Christmas because I just spent $500 on tapes and a $300 640GB raid Metal Gear Hard Drive. I just started running out of space on my 640GB hard drives a few weeks ago. I am contracted to do 26 shows this year on my own. Time to turn my hat around and get to work.

Regards,
Capt Ben
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1858
Regular Crew

capturing with vegas 7...

just bought vegas 7 and havent really even played with it yet. I've been using pp2 with aspect hd but having some problems capturing with it. How is vegas for capturing data as opposed to using aspect hd? i have a sony HC3 and shoot all hd. thanks in advance

Mark
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #1859
Major Player

Make sure your project settings, render settings and DVD Architect setting all match i.e. you haven't mistakenly got your project on PAL Widescreen and everything else on NTSC. I've goofed on that count before.

Use the DVD Architect render templates or......to make sure and keep the highest quality, render to avi then import the avi into DVD Architect. When you come to make disc it will say TOO BIG. Hit the Fit To Disc button and it will optimise it to fit.

Hope this helps.
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #1860
Regular Crew

I have Vegas 7 as well as an HC3, and capturing isn't a problem at all. It is real time, so you can see when to stop it, etc...

Vegas is a great program for editing HD, in that it behaves exactly like DV would. Just cut, cut, cut, color correct, and render.

It's that easy.

SB
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...