Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #226
New Boot

Vegas vs Final Cut Pro cuts

I've had some experience with Final Cut Pro and recently acquired Vegas 6 for my PC. Being told it shouldn't be a problem, I jumped into it with both feet and started importing video clips into my project media. Double-clicking on them moved the clips straight into the timeline - so far so good. However when I tried doing simple In and Outpoints using the I and O keystrokes while shuttling through the timeline I discovered I couldn't cut the clips and remove material using Del without deleting the entire clip. I tried moving it into the trimmer but the same thing occured.

Now there really must be an easier way rather than dragging clips together or putting them in subclip format first. This seems like a silly question but what am I missing here?
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #227
Sponsor: JET DV

The first thing I would check is the Split Screen button just above the preview screen. Make sure that is OFF.

Next, try using Color Curves and/or the color correctors instead of "brightness and contrast".
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #228
Sponsor: JET DV

Maybe you just need to turn on ripple editing. I and O should work fine in the trimmer. And you can easily delete portions of a clip from the timeline by splitting out that section and simply deleting it. You can also create a selection area on the timeline and simply press delete.
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #229
Inner Circle

Try the stickied "shortcuts" thread in this forum... that should get you up to speed. In particular, the crtl and "crtl+alt" modifiers allow slip and roll editing.

In FCP, you select the tool first and then make the edit.
In Vegas, you would hold the modifier keys and then make an edit. And if you need to ripple, you do that after the edit. Auto-ripple does what the name suggests, although I tend to leave it off. Crtl Shift F will ripple everything... unfortunately it is a fingerful, but you can map it to something else.

So really... everything in Vegas is "backwards".
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #230
Regular Crew

Got it....just nailed a sign on my monitor.....CHECK SPLIT SCREEN VIEW
db
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #231
New Boot

Slowing Down a Video Event

Ok, I love Vegas 6.0, but can anyone tell me why or if I'm doing something wrong?

When I slow down or speed up video, there's a noticeable dragging effect on the result. The video isnt smooth anymore, just choppy....

Even when I used to use MediaStudio Pro, I could slow video down and it would look smooth....
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #232
New Boot

Oh, and BTW, I'm using 24p video shot from a DVX100B....
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #233
New Boot

render video for web

I'm trying to render a 20 min movie trailer from vegas 6. I have tried using the .wmv at 3mps, the movies quality is greatly reduced and the file size is about 160mb. I tried it at 500k, terrible quality.. file size still around 100mb.

anyone recommend anything, I understand my trailer is kinda long, I am willing to compromise on quality, but I need a happy medium for both quality and low file size.. thanks. -Ryan King
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #234
Regular Crew

Rendering and Burning on Vegas Movie Maker

I want to burn about 20 dvd's for clients...I haven't rendered the timeline as of yet....I would like somebody to explain what the best steps would be in creating a dvd (including authoring or finalizing in Architech)....I want the DVD to play on clients players' trouble free.

Here is what I did before for my own personal dvds:

1. Click on Make Movie
2. create file name
(not sure what to click on here...I created the project in 16x9 - so which box should I check here?? 1. Stretch video to fill output frame or 2. Save projects path reference in rendered media? Or can I check both??

3. After rendering, take into architech, create a simple title, and then burn it.

Any ideas that would work better for multiple burning and helping the dvd play on different players out there. I do have DVD - R dvds ready to burn.
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #235
Inner Circle

Okay, this comes from someone who doesn't do 24p, but it seems to me that stobing, jerkiness is an issue at regular speeds, so why wouldn't you expect it to be more jerky in slow motion ?

As I understand it the best slow motion clips come from higher frame rates like 48p, 60p, and more.
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #236
Inner Circle

Whatever you use to burn your discs, turn *validate* on, and tell the thing to burn "n" discs. (N=20 or so.)

With validate, your PC will burn the disc, then read it back to make sure that it has no errors. Just read a book near your PC and swap the discs every time your PC beeps. You'll be guaranteed that your discs will be error free.

Don't add a big, thick sticker to your DVD. Some of the CD labels are too thick for some DVD players.

And burn to the best media that you can find. I'm not sure what that would be these days. Some searches on the web might find some reviews.

Still, not every player handles every media. If you are going mainly with DVD-R, you might burn some DVD+R discs for the people who can't play the first batch.

Then again, DVD players are so cheap these days, you could probably jsut buy them a decent player!
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #237
Regular Crew

Slomo

The jerkiness maybe down to the speed you've chosen, e.g. maybe it's trying to show a frame twice then the next frame three times. If you choose 50% or 25% it may be smoother.

Ideally you want every frame to be different, captured at a different moment in time. To do this you really need to record interlaced, then slow it to 50% and render it out progressive with interpolate deinterlace. When you do this vegas creates two frames from the two sets of interlaced fields. You take a res hit but the motion is much smoother because each frame is a different moment in time 1/50 of a second apart for PAL (or 1/60 NTSC). If you choose any other speed you will either end up with undercranked footage which will be jerky depending on the speed you choose, or frame blending will be introduced (I hate frame blending) depending whether or not you've chosen to resample.

If you want smooth slomo for speeds below 50% you need to use something like Twixtor (not compatible with Vegas unfortunately) which generates intermediate frames by morphing between the frames either side.

Here's some of my first experimenting with Twixtor, shot interlaced 1/350 shutter on GS400, slowed to 50% rendered progressive interpolated, then used Twixtor to slow it to 25% and 12.5% at different points.

http://www.savefile.com/files/7473482

Last edited by Andy Gordon; July 17th, 2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #238
Inner Circle

While I haven't had as much trouble recently, when I was first burning DVDs, some DVD players just had trouble playing one type of DVD or other (+ or -)
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #239
New Boot

My video is very crisp at normal rates... but maybe its more jerky at a slower speed because now Im using 24p - I never thought of that....
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #240
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Talus
My video is very crisp at normal rates... but maybe its more jerky at a slower speed because now Im using 24p - I never thought of that....
Exactly. That is likely the issue, and Abdy post goes into detail.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...