Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #256
Wrangler

That's good news Magnus.

I would be interested to hear how you're using it with the video features in Vegas (vs. audio).
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #257
Sponsor: JET DV

You could add a slight blur in that area. Look at the "Blurring Faces" article in Vol 1 #12 of my newsletters.
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #258
Major Player

Reverse Flickering Help

I have a clip of a reception that pans a small table with the place cards on it for the guests. It plays, renders, and re-plays fine.

When I put this clip in reverse it flickers horribly.

It only flickers on the monitor.

I use Vegas 6d.

What is causing this problem?
What should I do to fix it?

Please help.

I've tried reduce interlace flicker, added slight noise and blur, but nothing helped.

Is this clip impossible to reverse without the flickering?

Last edited by Richard Zlamany; July 18th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #259
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
I would be interested to hear how you're using it with the video features in Vegas (vs. audio).
So far not at all - the faders operate on audio tracks only.

Next challenge is to see if we can get the faders to write envelopes on automatable parameters of audio plugins.

Mute/Solo/Select audio track all work like a dream, as well as basic transport and go-to-marker. I'm sure there is IN and OUT somewhere as well.

Still need a basic shuttle/pro to cue/shuttle/jog with audio - the ffd and rew are mute when using the buttons on the control surface, it does not have a jog wheel.

The Emulation modes and button assignments are available in a PDF at http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2...tion_modes.pdf
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #260
Major Player

Splitting Audio Volume Envelopes?

Scenario: Edited 18 minute biography, after review, I decide to remove a segment that is one minute long in the middle.

Problem: I can't simply move the rest of the biography to merge where I split it, because I have used Audio Volume Envelopes extensively, and they stay fixed on the time line.

Question: Can I split the envelope and remove the section I deleted, with the video/audio portion?

Or should I render one section out to .avi and then just plug it on the timeline where I want it? Will I lose resolution from rendering it twice? Once to AVI then again to MPEG2?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #261
Major Player

I thought if you cut the clip the envelopes will come with the clip when pasted.
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #262
Major Player

There is a button on the tool bar that says "lock envelopes to events". Click it and the envelopes will move with the clips.
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #263
Regular Crew

Could be field order, trying switching from upper to lower first (should happen automatically though?). Are you rendering to interlaced? Did you use a velocity envelope or right click -> reverse?
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #264
Major Player

yes, I just hit reverse.

I am rendering out dv .avi to a dsr20 dvcam tape.

it is interlaced lower field 1st.

it works well if I don't use the right click reverse but the clip looks better in reverse except for the flickering part.

Usually when I have this problem the reduce interlace flicker switch fixes it, but not in this case.

thanks for helping.
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #265
Regular Crew

if you are rendering out interlaced you will need to make it upper field first once it's reversed, I thought Vegas did this automatically, but maybe not, try right click properties, field order upper first on the reversed clip.
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #266
Regular Crew

Hey Pete,

I don't know about smart, but personally, I would drag each .AVI onto a separate track in the Vegas timeline (directly from Windows explorer).

When you have them all in the order that you want, use the track motion on each track in Vegas (just to the left of the Track FX) and adjust the output pan/crop size to what seems to work for you for each clip. You can easily make all of these the same size if you want by copying the properties to each track once you've found the size that works for you.

Hope that helps,

Brandon
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #267
Regular Crew

Newbie Q.

Hi,

there was a nice feature in Premier called something like 'hold on first frame' -I used it a lot when footage was shaky to make a still clip of any length that I could then pan within.

I know it must exist in Vegas -I can get a similiar effect by reducing the clip velocity to 3% (0% possible? -seems to just jump to -2% upon reduction).

Anyway, where is that 'hold on first frame' check box? Thanks in advance,

Nick.
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #268

Hold the CTRL key while adjusting the envelope point.
There is no "hold on first frame" option in Vegas outside of
Make a one frame subclip
or
Use Velocity filter
or
split out the frame and make multiples of it
or
use the stutter feature in Ultimate S.
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #269
Inner Circle

Vegas used to flip the field order but thats been changed as it caused too many problems, considering that re-rendering woudl then revers that order back...

try rendering the revered footage out as Progressive, then reimport to the project. When rendering out that clip, turn on the supersampling and add some sharpness.
To cut down on the flicker (if u still ahve the problem) , turn on ur scopes and view the live readout. U may need to run levels and drop your exposure a little bit... i found veags has teh tendency to flicker if the shot is blown out a lil.. detail u see... the more detail there is, the more chance of flicker..
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #270
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Outram
I know it must exist in Vegas -I can get a similiar effect by reducing the clip velocity to 3% (0% possible? -seems to just jump to -2% upon reduction).
If you right-click the velocity node, you can choose "Set to..." where you can type in the exact velocity you want including 0%
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...