Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #286
Obstreperous Rex

My apologies for not getting an announcerment out. I need to clone myself, to better spread the workload. If you've noticed, all of the post production boards are now under a single category.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #287
Inner Circle

Sent to Sony, I'll update with thier answer.
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #288
Inner Circle

Heck usually I can barely make words out in between sips of morning coffee. But again, thanks for all the hard work admins.
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #289
Inner Circle

Ditto Steven's remarks. You all do an outstanding job with these forums. And great to see a new compositing board as well!
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #290
Trustee

Vegas 6 and HD - does it come native?

I am thinking about upgrading to Vegas 6. Does it come with everything needed to edit from an HD camera out of the box? Do I need special software that is extra (or hardware). Right now I have a Firewire for DV.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #291
Regular Crew

Well, I have Vegas Movie Studio 6 Platinum, and it can do HD, so it follows that the full version should as well.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #292
Regular Crew

Which DV Codec to use

I have instaled "DV CODEC SWITCHER" and with this tool I can choose which codec to use during DV capturing or editing in Vegas (one of codecs that I have instaled on my computer, Canopus, Cedocida, Panasonic ...).
So my question is, which DV codec gives high quality for capturing and editing.
On of them or some other?
Regards.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #293
Trustee

That is good. No plugin required. Did you use straight firewire?
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #294
Sponsor: JET DV

Technically, a codec is not used during capture. The data is simply copied from the tape to the hard drive. The codec is used for decoding the video to display on the screen and reencoding when changes are made.

For Vegas, I'd stick with the Sony DV codec included with Vegas.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #295

You'll be good to go straight out of the box. Vegas 6 can capture HDV direct from firewire using the internal capture program.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #296
Trustee

What size of drive are we talking about for 15-20 minutes - and how can I output this keeping HD (to DVD?)?
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #297

HD (m2t) files are about the same size as DV (DV-AVI) files - roughly 13Gig/hour. If you then convert them to Cineform, they will be larger. Besides, you can never have too much disk space.
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #298
New Boot

Vegas 6.0d, Cineform, and JVC HD-100

Edit: Please delete this message

Last edited by William Hess; July 21st, 2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
What size of drive are we talking about for 15-20 minutes - and how can I output this keeping HD (to DVD?)?
As Edward mentioned, 1080i HDV is 25Mbps, same as DV. Converted to CineForm Medium setting, plan on around 40GBph.
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:15 AM   #300
Inner Circle

Update

The problem was vegas was crashing specifically on a render of a build made up of 6 sub builds.

The first thing I did to try and diagnose this was to render each veg file individually that makes up my final veg build. I figured and still do believe that the crashing has something to do with a single part such as a audio or video file. But renderign each part was successful, so the next thing I did was recreate the veg file with all the veg parts/builds. I did not add the music. I rendered this no problem. Because I had tried to render my 'Love Build' and it crashed three times, I then decided to render it using my older machine. This would be a render from files on my NLE to an older machine over a network. Well it took about 3 times as long but it rendered nontheless.

So in short, I could render the parts of my build individually and collectively (minus the music and one picture), and I could render the same total build on my older machine across my network even, but I can't render the same build on my NLE from my NLE.

My conclusion so far is that one of the files used in my total build is not being read by my page file on my NLE. When I get some time, I'll probably rebuild that total build and see if it renders, for now though there's more work to be done.

It beats all I've ever seen, hehe, I hope this diatribe helps someone in the future.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...