Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #331
New Boot

wow.. this is really got me stumped.. I got this whole commercial done and I cant render it. well, I can render everything but that swish avi, that I have re-dumped from other conversetion programs five times.. why would vegas play a avi and allow me to edit it, but leave the track out on render?
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #332
New Boot

I appreciate all the responses. I'm open to more suggestions and explanations.

Thank you.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #333
Regular Crew

Alpha Channel Overlay

I use "Blufftitler" to create titling efect, saving AVI file then I open it in Vegas where in it's properties I select Alpha channel from "None" to "Premultiplied(dirty) "and it's work, title is appear overlay to main clip .
I use same process with AVI file that I made with "Particle illusion" but I can't
make same overlay effect.What is the problem? I only can get overlay when in Compositing mode I select "Lighten" but overlay effect is not so clear.
Any sugestions?
Regards.
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #334
Regular Crew

Edward...works for me. It's amazing how much I DON'T know about this program.
Regards - db
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #335
Regular Crew

A lot of it comes down to your burner, Media type, and Player.

DVD-R is a more Universal friendly format, but also beware of what maker of the media you use. Some players can't read generic media, so you have to spend money on quality stuff (Taiyo Yuden).

I myself never import footage into architech I just render to AVI and then open it in Arch... It seems to work better. However, I would try using a DVD-R anything labeled FUJI made in Japan is Taiyo Yuden and is solid media that plays in just about every player in the world.
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #336

I'd guess you're not outputting a 32bit avi from Particle Illusion. You need 32bit files so that they contain the transparency/alpha.
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #337
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
thank you....the part of the problem is that I'm editing on a smaller than ideal LCD screen that only allows me to view portions of the software - which is why the text preview screen was hidden....I need a 27" LCD SCREEN and I'd be happy!!! :-)
Change your screen resolution. I have edited in Vegas on 17" LCD WS, 17" LCD and 19" LCD and I see everything. You need to use a minimum of 1024x768 when using vegas.
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Franks

I myself never import footage into architech I just render to AVI and then open it in Arch... It seems to work better..
Gary, while this may be true for you, you'll virtually *always* get a better encode using Vegas vs DVD Architect. Additionally and more importantly, encoding from the timeline preserves most of the color sampling of any media you may have used outside of DV-acquired media such as graphics, titles, 32bit overlays, etc.

You are correct that media plays a huge role in compatibility, and using off-the-Walmart-shelf media can set you up for problems. Using TY or other high-grade DVDs is the better option.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #339
Major Player

Try exporting a Targa still sequence from PI. Save the alpha channel with the image and you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #340
Trustee

mt2 file - why doesn't Vegas recognize it?

Scrap that, figured it out. I was trying to use a DV project for HD.

Now, for the FX1, what do I use for the project settings? It is FX1 NTSC 60i camera that I am using, but I noticed that I can set up a project for 1440 or 1920 - how do I tell which one I have used in the camera?
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #341

which version of Vegas are you using?
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #342
Major Player

previewing question

This may just be one of those "that's just how it works" things but it still bothers me so I must ask.

How come Vegas can "JKL" up to 4x speed and zip along.. but if you do a speed up via properties/playback rate or a velocity envelope then "oh no" you must render it and it plays back choppy?

Anyone have any advice on settings to make sure are right for best playback rate (preview wise)... I know it's largely (mostly) a cpu thing... just wondering if I'm missing something or click something wrong.
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #343
New Boot

I GOT IT WORKING!! it seems you can't play a uncompressed avi from swish (you have to use a codec) in vegas, and the ones I was re-dumping through converters where not allowing me to render it in vegas although it would play.. to make a logn story short, I dump uncompressed avi out of swish, then us RAD VideoTools (a free converter) to re-dump as uncompressed again..never loose quality and vegas sems to play and render it fine.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #344
Inner Circle

buying used vegas

If I buy a second hand copy of vegas is the license transferrable? Am I breaking the rules and being naughty?

I once bought a second hand version for Film FX and it easily transferred and i even got tech support from the manufacturer.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #345
Regular Crew

Yes, you are allowed to buy/sell the software. See the EULA:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/support/eula.asp

Specifically:

5. ASSIGNMENT. You may assign the Software to a third party only if they agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you assign the Software, your rights under this Agreement will terminate immediately and you must: (a) cease all use of the Software, (b) permanently delete all copies of the Software from the computer on which it has been installed, and (c) deliver the original Software to the transferee, You may not retain the original or any copies of the Software.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...