Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #346
Sponsor: JET DV

JKL simply is jumping greater distances on the timeline - it's not CHANGING the timeline. Velocity Envelope and Playback Rate both change the timeline.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #347
New Boot

Simple Intra-Event Effects Question

I apologize for an easy one. Help files were unhelpful.

If I want to apply an effect to a portion of an event (e.g., 5 seconds of a 20 second video clip), is there an easy way to select that portion of the event I wish to change and apply the effect without (a) having to slice at the edges of the 5 second portion to creat a mini-event, or (b) apply key frames to hold the other, noneffected portions constant?
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #348
Inner Circle

No, those are the two methods Vegas provides.

Are you having issues with these methods? If so, perhaps there are some workflow suggestions forum contributors could provide.

For example, applying the same efx to a series of clips by moving them to a dedicated track and using track-level efx, or copy and paste attributes... depending on what it is you need to do.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #349
New Boot

I appreciate the reply. I'm not having trouble so much as getting used to keyframing in Vegas. I'm an After Effects guy and Vegas has a different feel in this regard. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thanks again.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #350
Major Player

Thanks Edward, I knew there was probably a logical reason... just wasn't sure what it was... still seems like for preview purposes it could be told to basically do the same ;) but maybe it is trying but has to read the instructions to do so every time which slows it all down.

OT: I just monitored my HD Read Bytes/Sec and even with 5 full DV tracks running with audio (yes it was a concophony but just testing) I was only seeing about 4MB/Sec being read.... is that correct? if that is the case then HD raids seem way less important than cpu power and we have a long way to go before worring about HD speed and transfer before cpu.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #351
Major Player

I normally just split it with "s" and then apply it.. you can always group the files together after that and they will act as one again... don't think that applys to efx after that.. good question ... anyone?
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #352
Regular Crew

Soft white glow effect ?

Looking to get a soft white glow transition effect between a couple of clips.
Not sure how to achieve it

Cheers

SC
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #353
New Boot

I think Vegas has a preset that might give you what you're looking for... do you have any examples or anything of what you're trying to achieve?
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #354

Vegas has a soft glow transition preset, you could also split the ends of the clips and keyframe in the glow filter, blasting it all out at the tail and head of the two events.
I often mix glow with Negative/invert filters for a nice, although somewhat common effect.
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #355
Regular Crew

I'll give that a try.

Thanks

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Vegas has a soft glow transition preset, you could also split the ends of the clips and keyframe in the glow filter, blasting it all out at the tail and head of the two events.
I often mix glow with Negative/invert filters for a nice, although somewhat common effect.
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #356
Regular Crew

Tapeless, DVD Edit with Vegas

I shoot some projects straight to hard-drive in an HDD-DVD deck, it encodes to MPEG2 directly. Usually I just need to burn a DVD with the deck and that's it. However, occassinally I need to edit some stuff out, basic straight cuts. What I've been doing is ripping the DVD's into a single Vob and dropping into vegas, edit, re-render and burn with Architect. This is fine, but my question is, when 're-rendering' this Vob, is there any kind of 'generational' loss? Not that it really matters, just curious.

However, I'm trying to think of ways to speed things up, especially if I have to edit an all day job that is equivilant of 4 dvd's for next day delivery....the rendering time is killing me. I've thought of multiple computers, but that could get pricey. I thought of batch encoding all the vobs into Mpeg2 right away as I usually have a few days or weeks before the call comes in to edit....I thought if I already have Mpeg2 (instead of a Vob) I can edit that in Vegas,..but then I've got to re-render as mpeg2 to get it into Architect?? Does Vegas6 have like a smart-encode, where it knows the file is already an mpeg2 and will render very quickly compared to an avi or vob?

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with this it would be appreciated. Thx Mike
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #357

Yes, there is generational loss. If you're doing cuts-only work with the MPEG files, try Womble or other MPEG editing app. Vegas will always recompress MPEG files at this point in time.
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #358
Regular Crew

Adding effects to target areas

I do the same thing. I either slpit the event or clip where the intention is or keyframe it.
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #359
Regular Crew

Connecting Clips in VMS Platinum

When I capture a DV tape, the VMSP capture program splits them up into smaller file chunks, and that is OK, especially when one needs to use the trimmer on some of them.

When I put the video clips together in the timeline of VMS Platinum, I move them visually with the mouse, expanding the timeline to make sure no gap exists between them, and most times its OK.

But I am relying on my eyesight and raw mouse movements to achieve this. Is there a keypress combo that butts a pasted video clip to the tail of the previous video clip with no gap?

If there is no keystroke and I do it visually, should I go for 'Half diamond' or 'triangle' when putting them together? Thin vertical line or thick one?

Thanks for any advice.
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #360
Sponsor: JET DV

Options - Preferences - Turn OFF "Scene Detection"

The clips should "snap" together (assuming you haven't turned off snapping). You can always zoom in on the timeline to confirm, though.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...