Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #421
Regular Crew

Thanks Ed,
I looked all over the Sony site and never ran accross that.... I must be blind.
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #422
Regular Crew

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here but I have been working with the trial version of Ultimate 2 as well. Seems like it's worth the money for its time saving attributes. I want to purchase Ult 2 but with Vegas 7 looming over the horizon I have to ask; will Ult 2 be compatible with it and if not at what cost will upgrade options be available?
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #423
Major Player

Apparently, while working on an HDV project, while using the lower left window (explorer, projectmedia, transitions), I must have enlarged the window, thus shrinking the video preview window in the lower right of the Vegas screen. I use a 2nd monitor for my preview, but this "shrinking" of the vegas preview window, lowered the max resolution of the preview - even on the external monitor to something like 180x260. The fix was to just slightly enlarge the video preview window.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #424
Trustee

When did you use the DVfilm? After you captured?
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #425
Trustee

What about HD?
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #426
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briscoe
Kevin

It worked like a charm!!! Really appreciate it.

Thanx

Ian
No problem... my other job is IT, so I've run across all sorts of crazy problems and had to come up with crazy sollutions.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #427
Major Player

As Edward pointed out to me on his site, if you are using Visual Studio then after you reference the dll you will have completion as you type out the code.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #428
Regular Crew

In this particular instance, Nick is abreviating hard drive as HD. He's saying that it'll take more hard drive space if you convert to 24p first, as you'll be having both versions of the footage on there.

As to your original question, it's always been my understanding that you would want to convert to 24p BEFORE editting, because you run the risk of your edits not falling exactly where they were before when you edit 60i/30i and then convert. Which makes for disaster, or confusion when your watching and your edit gets cut short, and part of the scene is missing.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure that one of the Vegas Lords will soon correct me! :)
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #429
Trustee

Ok, thanks - original clip drop to 24 p before editing. I guess that makes sense. I wonder when I render it out, how do I preserve the 24p with Vegas?
Old August 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #430
Regular Crew

Great!! I love code completion. They need to give the guy that came up with that idea a big fat bonus check. It makes things move so much quicker for me. I can never remember all the different properties and methods.
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #431
Regular Crew

Yeah. You capture the video then use DV Film Maker to make a deinterlaced copy of each captured avi. You can download a trial version. I did and made comparisons then purchased. It looks really good. You'll be hard pressed to find much detail loss.

I have two PD170's so all I can get is interlaced. I use DV Film Maker when I have to pan and crop the video for different reasons. Interlacing doesn't paly nice when you start panning and cropping. I convert to 24P mov files if there isn't much action or I'm looking for a movie look and drop it into a 24P Vegas project.

If there is a lot of action and I HAVE to pan and crop I will deinterlace the clip requiring a crop to a 60i avi then drop it into a 60i Vegas project and make sure to select "none" for the project deinterlace method option. This allows the non cropped interlaced video to work like it's supposed to and allows me to pan and crop (usually to cover up a framing screw up on my part) what is needed with out affecting the the whole project.
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #432
Major Player

Want to learn how to write plug-ins.

Simple as that... it seems that the SDK "suite" from Sony is very out dated... I was wondering if anyone had any good resources on this subject? I have some things I'd like to do and a script just wouldn't be as functional.
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #433
New Boot

Absolute Training for Vegas+DVD, Vol. 1-3

Could anyone tell me what topics are included on disc two of this three disc tutorial? I know it is supposed to delve a little deeper into Vegas, but I'd like to know some of the specific areas that it will cover. I've used Vegas everyday for the last four years, so it's not exactly new to me, but I've never had formal training, and I know there is still a lot yet to learn. Could anyone recommend a good advanced tutorial?
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #434
Regular Crew

Disk two contains Using pan/crop, building slideshows, adding track motion, using opacity/blending, understanding keyframes, discussion of codecs, rendering for DVDs, print-to-tape, web output, PSP, and more. This is right off of the back of the DVD case. What I really like about this set is it shows you the way the pro's go about doing the tasks. I've picked up a lot of the shortcuts on how to do things that I didn't use before. And I'm sure you know about the other disks that really go into depth on topics like color correction, DVDA, found at this link: http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?for...&sort=priority. I have them all. Really good stuff. Hope this helps.
Randy
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #435
Inner Circle

The SDK suite from Sony seems a little dated, but I believe it's sufficient since Sofo/Sony hasn't changed the Vegas filter architecture much (other than multithreading for filters).

With the filter architecture, you can also do things like GPU processing (like Magic Bullet Editor's 2).

Personally, learning how to write Vegas filter is on my (way too long) to-do list.

2- What are you trying to do?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...