DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/41400-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q3q4.html)

DJ Kinney July 1st, 2006 05:43 PM

You need the master bus tracks to use some video envelopes (like SuperSampling) and for global audio changes, to affect the track of the entire project. So they are useful in that way.

Brian Bechard July 1st, 2006 07:57 PM

Vegas Render Test Blues

I just bought a new Dual Core from Gateway (Intel 940, 3.2Ghz Dual Pros.), ran the vegas render test and I'm getting times around 8min!!! This seems waaaay too long. I've got a Raptor 10K drive for my primary and a 500Gig drive for storage. The machine is not connected to the Web and I have all the background apps disabled. What am I doing wrong? This computer has to be faster than this right? I'm certainly no computer guru, but I'm pretty sure everything is setup to run at at top speed. What am I missing?

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2006 06:06 AM

Which render test did you run?

Ian Landy July 2nd, 2006 06:49 AM

Reversing the image of a clip?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to reverse the image of a clip with Vegas 6. Eg: Say if the clip was showing a person walking from left to right in the original clip, can I reverse the whole image so that it mirrors the clip to make the person look as though they are now walking from right to left.

Thanks, Ian

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2006 07:07 AM

Open Pan/Crop, right-click the image, and then choose the proper "Flip" option.

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2006 08:33 AM

Are you sure both CPUs are enabled in WinXP?

Brian Bechard July 2nd, 2006 09:18 AM

I ran the dual core render test .veg file found on the vasst website.

Brian Bechard July 2nd, 2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Are you sure both CPUs are enabled in WinXP?

This may sound stupid, but how would I do that...In the device manager? It looks like both cores are working properly in the device manager. Is this what you mean? Thanks for your post.

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2006 01:50 PM

Yes, you can check in Device Manager. You can also check in Task Manager. CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up Task Manager and click on the Performance tab. If you have two CPU History charts (side by side), then you are running two cores (this is default, but selectable in the View options). If you want to see if Vegas is using the dual CPUs, pop up task manager while running the render test and watch the charts. If only one chart shows much activity, then Vegas isn't making full use of the dual cores.

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2006 02:16 PM

8 minutes doesn't sound bad for that test. If you try the older render test file, it would have finished in under a minute.

Ian Landy July 2nd, 2006 05:48 PM

Magic, Thanks heaps Edward!

Ian

Steven Davis July 2nd, 2006 07:44 PM

Ok, I have no more pride left

Since this is the first edit I've done using my post-production monitor, should I be able to get the same amount of sharpness and detail from my television.

Because I have tried every setting I can, and my footage does not look as sharp as my post monitor.

I'm mainly losing sharpness on distance shots, the same distance shots that look great in my monitor, and computer screen ofcourse.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=319818&is=REG

Mike Kujbida July 2nd, 2006 09:09 PM

The short answer is no.
The (slightly) longer answer is that a post monitor like ours (I've got 4 of the same ones you do at the college I work for) will always look better than a home TV set, for a variety of reasons. I've got a 26" JVC TV at home that was approx. 1/2 the cost of the 15" monitor. The post monitor is capable of resolving 750 lines of resolution. I doubt that any normal TV can come even close to that spec. And, as you know, our JVC is far from the most expensive one B&H carries. That "honour" goes to the Sony BVM-A14F5U at a mere $5,400.00 :-)
The primary reason we have monitors like these is because of their colour accuracy and options such as underscan and blue gun only that a normal TV doesn't have.

Steven Davis July 2nd, 2006 09:13 PM

http://droptodesign.com/test/test1.avi

There's the clip, just fyi

Glenn Chan July 3rd, 2006 12:33 AM

Quote:

BVM-A14F5U at a mere $5,400.00 :-)
Try the 32" BVM-A
It's only several times the cost of the smaller monitor ($37k list).

Quote:

Since this is the first edit I've done using my post-production monitor, should I be able to get the same amount of sharpness and detail from my television.
It's probably that your television just has lower resolution. You may be able to improve it a bit by turning down the "contrast" (white level) control.
If it's a CRT, the electron beam will lose focus as you try to push the TV brighter.

You could also try running a test pattern through the monitor to see how good it is. You can try generating 1-pixel wide lines alternating legal white and legal black.
In a default Vegas 5+ installation (using the default Vegas codec), legal white = 235 235 235 RGB.
legal black = 16 16 16 RGB.
A quick way to do that is to make a line of text with the 1 \ / | symbols (and real text like the quick brown fox jumps over the whatever). Shotgun it at various pt sizes... so there's definitely something that's 1 pixel wide.