Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #436
Trustee

It works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Yes, you can definitely do that. Just capture as HDV, zoom in slightly and crop and rotate as needed with Pan/Crop.
I have a early a whole project shot in HD on the Sony HDV but am delivering in SD so the entire projects is scaled way down. I have used this more than once to zoom in a bit and pan to where the action is. Works wonders and best of all, I still didn't run out of native pixles.

jason
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #437
Trustee

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Richard
No problem... my other job is IT, so I've run across all sorts of crazy problems and had to come up with crazy sollutions.
I've had to do this several times as well. it is fun how people think you have some magic computer voodoo to do these sorts of things. :-) Nope. Just an insane amount of time learnign how the OS works.

jason
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #438
Major Player

Rather simple... just do a flicker of some text... but I want to be able to do it randomly and be able to have sliders for freq. and such... a lot like Zenote's Random plug-in but for flicker (oh, and mine would actually work, UNLIKE theirs!)
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #439
Major Player

yep, I love short cut keys... I know way too many... Oh, I learned another one the other day "Windows Key + L" locks the desktop on XP vs Ctrl+alt+delete then "K".

My favorite is walking people through settings blind, like while I'm on the road or something... they are very impressed as they couldn't even figure it out and here I am telling them how to fix it without even having a computer up :)
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #440
New Boot

Thanks Randy. And yes, I did know about the other tutorials, as a matter of fact I'll probably be purchasing the color correction lesson in the near future.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #441
Sponsor: JET DV

In Vol 4 #3 of my newsletters I describe how to set up a VS2003 project with GUI and code completion and include the sample project for downloading. You might want to check it out.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #442
Regular Crew

Help with Capture "SMRT" problem

Not sure what happened. I went to connect my xl1s via firewire to my sony viao and it won't let me capture my video. It say's it can't open the smrt capture card and to make sure it's on and not being used by another source.
It also says nothing is connected. My computer displays my xl1s is connected and window movie maker takes my video but vegas is not.

Did I hit a button by mistake. I have looked online and have found this happened to other people but they didn't know how to fix it.

What do I do?

Thanks,

Matt
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #443
Regular Crew

Well I was going to ask how you got code completion to work in jscript but I thought I must have just missed something over the last year or two and didn't want to look too dumb. I'm using Vegas 5 and from your newsletter I see that starting with Vegas 6 you can run C# code without compiling. That's how... :-) Oh well. I'll have to get Vegas 7 when it comes out in a month or two I guess. I wish MS Office would have C# as an alternative to VBA, I like it so much better....
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #444
Regular Crew

Specific help for Vegas preview

I hate it when I can find so many threads on a subject but no definitive answer...anyway...

I went out and bought an inexpensive Emerson television with Svideo on the back and am trying to use it for an external preview with Vegas 6. I am getting NOTHING. I first used my old Canon ZR45; connected Svid from the TV to the cam, then connected the firewire from the pc to the cam in VCR mode with AV passthrough enabled. Nothing in the Vegas preview pane, the camera, or the TV after clicking on the ext. preview in the Vegas window.

Next, I reluctantly took my PD170 out, made sure passthrough was enabled and went through the same routine after restarting Vegas. This time when I click on the external preview, it shows recompressed "Preview On External Monitor - (Frame Recompressed)" in the Vegas window but nothing in the cam LCD or the TV.

I also switched over to regular comp. cables thinking the Svideo may be the problem - still nothing. Can anyone help?
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #445

Technically, c# scripts compiled to .dll files can be run in Vegas 5 and you can still get code completion. However, you'll need some .js helper files. The "Custom DLL FAQ" section on my site has more info. The basics of how to do that can be found here as well:
http://www.peachrock.com/software/tu...tml#VegasHello
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #446

Some cameras require a menu setting to change the firewire connection from out to in.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #447
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward but I don't see anything like that on either my Canon, PD170, or VX2100. Any other ideas?

Surely someone has used a one of the 170's or the 2100's for this and I'm just missing something obvious.
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #448
Inner Circle

You should be able to use the PD170 as a pass thru without changing anything in the menu BUT just for the sake of saying it (just in case) Brandon switch the camera on into VTR mode-THEN go into the menu then goto the 2nd icon VCR SET or 'V' then goto A/V-DV Out and press the scroll wheel -then roll the scroll wheel to that selection and change it to ON-that MIGHT make a difference for preview but honestly I've never had to do that. Of course I rarle use the 150 as a passthru either but for the odd times I do I've not had to change anything.

Don
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #449
Regular Crew

Thanks Don. I finally figured it out and your suggestion helped indirectly. I never realized I had to turn the AV to DV out "OFF" to get it to work! I tried this first in my 170 and bingo, it popped on the screen. Switched back to my Canon and after turning off the AV to DV out it worked fine also. Unless I totally misunderstood, everything I've read points to this being "ON".

Also had to make sure I turned the "recompress frames" on in the Vegas monitor properties menu.

Thanks again - hopefully this will help someone else too.
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #450
Major Player

is there a way to "glue" parts together?

Like in Cubase/Neundo? That way effects will be applied accross multiple "events" but not the whole track.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...