Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #466
Regular Crew

Matthew,

I've never had your problem. But I often just plug in my camera and capture using the Windows capture program without starting Vegas, then edit in Vegas.

I believe that Vegas uses the Windows capture program as the default. You can choose a different capture program inside of Vegas, in the "Preferences", "Video" tab.

Hope this at least provides you with a work-a-round until you solve your problem.
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #467
Major Player

List of "Interal" preferences and explanations

I was wondering if they had a list with explanations of what all the "hidden" options are.
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #468
Regular Crew

We have and hd24 also, and have the fireport that allows you to transfer the files over firewire, and it does work. BUT I still think it is a bit of a kluge. You are right the video capture is not full vegas just the capture program so it woud seem that this could make it easier. I guess where I am coming from is that we are moving to a situation where recording in 5.1 is becoming more likely, SONY on their low end units actually has this 5.1 mic system which is totally useless, BUT the concept still makes sense. It of course would be great ot see a camcorder with the option for an multi channel external audio in, but that is not all that likely.

I agree there are work arounds, but it still think the ability to better link the audio and the video capture side would be a step forward, especially since Vegas has sort of positioned itself as the more audio friendly of the video nle's
Sharyn
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #469
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply. I turned off my computer for about an hour and then it worked fine. Who knows?

Matt
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #470
Sponsor: JET DV

I believe the general rule of thumb is "Don't Touch These". There have been a few documented but changing some incorrectly could make Vegas not work.
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #471
New Boot

Thanks for the information, Kevin. Very helpful.

--rick
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #472
Major Player

But some look so tasty ;)

You don't do enough for the community, you should flip them all and document what the do :p

J/K of course (about how much you do, not about flipping them all :) )
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #473
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyn Ferrick
...I guess where I am coming from is that we are moving to a situation where recording in 5.1 is becoming more likely...
As little as a month ago I would have disagreed with this - but a recent project changed my mind. Another DVInfo forum member and I edited some environmental sound effects for 4.1 playback at an event. We did a bunch of stuff with Vegas and stock stereo effects, using echo/verb, moving things around the sound field, stock film sound mix techniques that sounded good and were a lot of fun.

Then I bought some sfx that were recorded in 5.1 :0 ...what a difference, those sfx really surpassed all we'd done with post techniques. It's really made me rethink the possible benefits of collecting 5.1 in the field.

Quote:
I agree there are work arounds, but it still think the ability to better link the audio and the video capture side would be a step forward, especially since Vegas has sort of positioned itself as the more audio friendly of the video nle's
I'm very impressed that we can personally afford to own tools that rival the functions that used to take remote mobile recorder trucks... and that even with at best flakey timecode or none at all we have affordable post tools that are easier to use than the multimillion dollar edit suites that ruled the video world as few as 20 years ago. So, I wouldn't have used the term "work around" but instead said "wow, it works!"

However, it would be great if Sony took your advice!

(begin rant)
I'm pessimistic, though... the fact that Sony and apparently all the other NLE manufacturers have not seen fit to fix the timecode mess that Sony and the other HDV camcorder manufactures have created **(see below) makes me assume that they think that we who would use Vegas, HDV, double-system sound and multitrack all together are such a small minority that they're not going to bother fixing broken timecode functionality. Never mind that DV-standard def. was much friendlier to timecode through the edit process...
(end rant)

**(from above)
SMPTE-like timecode was apparently part of the DV25 spec. This enabled use of time-of-day timecode to rough-sync double system sound, multiple cameras, to get all these video sources and audio tracks close enough on the Vegas timeline that you could fine-sync with V's excellent slip & slide tools. All the NLEs and DVRack see DV25 camera timecode through firewire.

Enter HDV - hidef is more pro, no? Apparently camcorder manufacturers are at liberty to put timecode wherever they like in the HDV-firewire datastream, there is no standard. Vegas doesn't see it, HDVRack doesn't capture it, every captured HDV clip starts at 0:00, and our rough-sync method is gone, and the workflow becomes more lengthy and painful. Post/capture vendors challenged on forums plead that there is no timecode, or it's hard to find, when IMO what they really mean is they couldn't be bothered to bring HDV editing up to DV functionality, they think too small a minority of users work with double system sound and multicamera. Too many software engineers and not enough film/video people making decisions for us.

Oops, I guess that's more ranting. I really love Vegas, have been using it since it was an audio-only product, and use it all the time. HDV timecode has really pissed me off... they've really let us down on this one.
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #474
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

i'm pretty sure you can't edit divx in Vegas. The only NLE i know of that offers divx editing is Avid Liquid.

Gary
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #475
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan
i'm pretty sure you can't edit divx in Vegas. The only NLE i know of that offers divx editing is Avid Liquid.
It *can* be done because there are many people doing it. However, you do have to get the right codecs installed. If you do a search in this forum for DivX and/or XVid, you should get many hits related to this topic.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #476
Major Player

Capture problem in Vegas with XLH1 !!

I finally got my XLH1 today, so I capture some footage and when I tried to capture it onto Vegas 6.0a I received this message:

The device 'Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device' could not be opened.
please make sure that it is turned on and is not being used by another
application or user.

I have the XL1s and I have no problem capturing to Vegas.
I did change the internal capture for HDV but still have the problem. My computer is recognizing the H1 but not Vegas. Any Idea what am I missing ?

Thanks
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #477
Major Player

Actually searches mostly turn up more post saying "do searches" ...I have never really found a good answer... I've tried some of the suggestions but never got it working 100%
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #478
Major Player

Not sure if this has ANYTHING to do with your problem but why not get 6.0d?
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #479
Regular Crew

Synching in Vegas (or is that sinking)

I hope I have more luck with this question than I did with my previous one (still no replies)

I am new to Sony Vegas 5. If I have a project with multiple tracks and I trim or lengthen a video event within the project, the related audio portion trims or lengthens with it, thereby remaining in synch. However, the other tracks do not move with this re-edit. This means that any music/sound effects/titles on other tracks will no longer be in their intended positions.

How do you ensure that the other tracks remain in synch following a simple edit. I would have thought that this was standard but it's not obvious to me how to go about it other than continually adjusting the tracks. This would become unfeasible with a large number of tracks.
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #480
Inner Circle

RIPPLE EDIT
there is an icon on the toolbar that will allow you to determine how you want this feature to work.
Just be careful with ripple as it will ripple or move everything over every time and there might be time you don't want to move it so make sure to turn it off.

Don
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...