Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 11th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #481
Inner Circle

One approach is to leave ripple edit off.

Use the following keys to ripple:
f ripple the affected track
shift f ripple more stuff
crtl+shift+f ripple everything, including other tracks and markers

Crtl Shift F will probably be used the most. Unfortunately, it's a fingerful.
Old August 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #482
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I'll try that this weekend.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #483
Inner Circle

umm.. i dont think your understanding what im saying..

teh Nvidia card is single or dual head only.. this wont change no matter what u plug into the 3 outputs... what im sayng is to purchase ANOTHER gfx card (single head) and plug it into ur PCI slot of the pc, as opposed to PCIe or AGP...
this additional card should give u access to run the 3rd monitor (even 4th if the new card is also dual head)

I wouldnt waste resourses on running the one projects across the 2 machines.. to be honest, the most accurate means of checking colour is to use 1394 live output into a CRT monitor with Svideo, or by using a decklink interface card
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #484
Major Player

and if it's just seperating the track (single) and ripple isn't cooperating (fudging stuff around a lot) then just right click the next event and "select till end" or something like that will select them all then when you grag they all drag... of course you can use CTRL to do that to multiple tracks if you need.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #485
Inner Circle

Peter,

I see where you are going with that, I would like to hear how it turns out once accomplished.
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #486
Regular Crew

Vegas 6.0d - wmv format 1Mbps

I recently upgraded to version 6 from 5. Version 5 used to allow me the option of selecting Windows Media format (.wmv) and render at 1Mbps. Which used to be good (quality vs size) for web upload to my site. Version 6 only gives me the option of 512Kbps or 3Mbps but not the 1Mbps option. I dont like 512 and find 3Mbps renders to large a file size. Is there a way to force 6.0 to give the 1Mbps option ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

SC
Old August 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #487
Sponsor: JET DV

Click on the "custom" button and change to the settings you want.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #488
Regular Crew

if you get sound forge from sony it kind of integrates with vegas just to make it a little easier. it has a ton of options for cleaning audio and such.
there is a trial too to see if it is what u need.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #489
Regular Crew

so is the dvfilm thing better than the magic bullet suite?
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #490
Regular Crew

try a generaated media color white. then overrlay the video on both sides.
not sure whether that is what ur looking for though
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #491
Trustee

Overscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Richard
Yes it's normal it's called "Overscan"... that is why they have the safe zones you can turn on in your preview window... they will tell you were the "safe" edges are. Look in the tool bar of your preview pane and I think it's a grid... the inner box is considered "safe title" so you should place your titles in there... some tv's are that bad ;)
I have noticed this a few times and had to re-render after moving my titles. Pain in the butt, but that is what happens with older TVs that are not adjusted properly. I kind of have an "eye" for where those boundaries are now so I don't usually edit with them turned on. DVD Architect will complain if some of your titles, buttons, menus, etc fall outside of those boundaries. That is a good warning that you might want to remember.

jason
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #492
Regular Crew

Actually, as I stated originally, I can edit on my work laptop. I took Glen's advice and converted it to a more standard .avi from within Vegas then used two of those files, one in After Effects and the other in Vegas.

My question really was how to get it to work on the pc that I use at home to do all the ediging on...the one will more muscle. I did not want to edit on the laptop nor do I want to convert, reconvert back and forth.

So my take on the situation is that I most likely already had a DivX codec on the machine that would not work with the file I was given. I installed the DivX codec my friend sent me but it didn't work. I haven't acted on this yet but I am hoping if I uninstall the existing codecs and reinstall the one I was given, it might work.

thanks for everyone's help
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #493
Inner Circle

You can use the Vegas overlays in the video preview window to show you action and title safe.

Action safe: Everything outside might be cropped by the monitor.
Title safe: On old CRTs, the outer edges will have lots of geometric distortion, so titles will appear curvy here.
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #494
Regular Crew

i woul try to just redner it out to avi just to test the look annd feel before you decide if that is what you want to do.
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #495
Regular Crew

FX Video Event FX Problem

I am still learning Vegas. Today for some reason the Video Event FX controls don't seem to work. I selected the clip, opened the Video Event FX Window and selected the initial keyframe. Then I moved the slider controls for brightness and contrast, but no effect. (It doesn't seem to work on other clips or other controls either). Any ideas what could cause this?

Dale
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...