Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #541
Regular Crew

another data pt:

last year i rendered my 101-minute feature as an mpeg2 for DVD using Vegas 5. The movie was desaturated to black and white, gaussian blur across the board, and had several panned/cropped clips. On the old 950 MHz Athlon PC the render took 8 days-- yes it was nerve-wracking waiting a week for the thing to finish cooking, checking every few hours, waiting for a crash. But when it was done the results were perfect. No crash, no stalls, no errors. Just slow solid quality performance.

The same movie rendered as an AVI on the same PC took about 15 hours to render, w/ a file size of upper-20-something gigs IIRC.

good luck,

MRP
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #542
New Boot

Vital Stream is a world wide flash content streaming service. They are one of the best so I would expect it to be a little more expensive. If you go to the Adobe/Macromedia website, there's a link for flash streaming services.

www.macromedia.com -> This will take you to Adobe's macromedia site.

Rey Ortega
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #543
Regular Crew

Update

Thanks for the replys.

Has anyone else rendered a feature length video and can share their experience?

I now expect the render to take between 13 and 14 hours. It has taken about 10 and a half hours so far and indicates it will take another 3 and a half hours.

ALSO, can anyone share what format they have been asked to deliver a feature length movie for distribution?
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #544
Regular Crew

kind of worked

Thanks for the help Don. That worked but not it keeps doing it even on different projects. Maybe I'll just re-install.
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #545
Major Player

I have done a 46 minute film. I split it up into two renders with editing/graphics/color timing on one and then audio for the other.

I did all the audio work as a separate project and rendered a .wav file from there and put that into Vegas and rendered the final .avi with sound from my editing time line. Took about 7 hours and every clip was color timed and some had Magic Bullet (about 8% of the movie).

From there I went to mpeg2 for duplication and that was pretty much real-time.

I always render to a final .avi master and then encode my .wmv and mgeg2 off that.

p4 2.8 HT PC
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #546
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn
I always render to a final .avi master and then encode my .wmv and mgeg2 off that.
Me too. I can then use the master to create flash video, wmv, Quicktime, whatever.

Also, I recommend selecting just a minute or two and doing a test render. You don't want to render for half a week only to learn that you forgot to set the aspect ratio correctly.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #547
Inner Circle

Before you do that is the drive where the clips are that aren't being seen an external drive? Sometimes the machine for whatever reason loses contact with an external drive-when that happens, if thats the case you might try cutting power to the external and rebooting that only.

Just a thought.

Don
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #548
Major Player

Codec problem maybe? What type of file is it?
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #549
Regular Crew

. ..I guess NERO it is. Can I create menu based DVD's ? Is anything else differnet ? THanks
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #550
Sponsor: JET DV

You AUTHOR the disc in DVD Architect. You BURN the disc in Nero. So, yes you can still have the same menus because you're creating the menus in the same program you were before.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #551
Regular Crew

Update

I finished a few minutes ago: 14 hours 8 minutes for a WMV file. It was 4.5 GB.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #552
Regular Crew

This has happened to me

I usually just shut down and restart and that cures it. I do have a large part of my files on external drives. Maybe I need a defreg, that thing we all forget to do!
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #553
Inner Circle

Not a codec problem just sometimes the machine or Vegas doesn't see the external drive. I have no idea why it just happens every now and then. I close the project, turn off that drive restart it open the project again and there it is in all its glory.
Must be the "drive gremlins" ;-)
Don
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #554
Regular Crew

De-Interlace option within Vegas

What about the option within Vegas to De-Interlace. I have not has much experience comparing, but have recently taken an interest in using this option.

Chad
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #555
Major Player

problem with .avi from digital camera

Hi. I have a Canon S80 Digital Camera that can capture video as well as still photos. Recently, I shot some video with this camera and transferred the clips to my hard drive. Then I imported the .avi files to Vegas 6. I placed the clips on the timeline and played the preview. For some reason I can only hear sound, but the preview window remains black.

I can see the visuals in the thumbnails of the clips on the timeline. But playing them, I only get a blank screen.

What could be the problem?

Thanks
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...