Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:33 PM   #631
Major Player

Multiple volume levels on a single clip

Is there a way in Vegas 5 to adjust the volume level on a single clip where it starts out at full volume and then slopes down to about halfway or so and then slopes back up to full volume by the end of the clip?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:43 PM   #632
Slash Rules!

Do you know how to add a volume envelope to the audio track?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:46 PM   #633

Select the track with the clip.
Press the "V" (for volume) key.
This inserts a volume envelope.
To do you what you're asking requires 3 envelope points that can be inserted to the volume envelope by double clicking, or by right clicking the envelope point. Drag the envelope points/nodes up or down to suit your needs.
http://www.vasst.com
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:47 PM   #634
Major Player

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking to do.
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #635
Major Player

Vegas HD preview problem

I have a very strange problem:

I capture my (HDV) files with Cineform Connect HD and after that I import them in Vegas 6.0d. so far, no problem.

When I put them on the timeline and play them: no problem either. But when I load them into the trimmer and try to play them, the weirdest thing happens: after a few seconds of playing, it jumps back to a position before that and it continues playing from there. That goed over and over and over again. I can not watch any HDV-clip from beginning to end in the trimmer: it ALWAYS starts looping somewhere in the middle.

Did anyone else ever encouter this problem? It's nothing obvious like set markers or anything, but it is incredibly annoying as you can imagine. I only have this problem when playing the intermediate HD files. SD-files are no problem. I haven't tried original m2t's, but it wouldn't solve the problem anyway...

I hope I don't have to wait for sony 7 to have this fixed....
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #636
Regular Crew

Help Setting Up External Monitor

After successfully capturing an hdv.m2t clip and rendering the timeline, I’m unable to view the clip to an HD external monitor for editing. As this clip only requires cuts, I want to keep the editing process as simple as possible. Although the final product will be 4.3 DVD, I want to create a HD Master for possible future use, so all editing will be performed in original aspect ratio.

Setting up VEGAS:
In PROPERTIES, I’m selecting HDV 1080-60i template.
Under OPTIONS/PREFERENCES/PREVIEW DEVICE,
Device:
OHCI Compilant IEEE 1394/DV
Details:
Hot pluggable device
Device unavailable

Saving the rendered file, I’m able to view it perfectly (on the external monitor) using the VLC media player, so it doesn’t appear to be a Windows issue. I’ve tried “Print Video to HDV tape”, but there’s no video signal out to my FX-1 when I play the timeline.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ben Hardy
H & G Recorded Productions
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #637
Sponsor: JET DV

The key in the above is "Device unavailable". Is the FX-1 connected in HDV mode? If yes, change it to DV mode and try it again. Then it should work OK.
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #638
Major Player

Bumb... I'm curious too. Is it possible to have media play/show in an area separate from the screen than the button that's making it happen?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #639
Fred Retread

DVDA finds Invalid data in Vegas MPEG File?

I hate to keep whining about the problems I'm having, but another one is that DVDA has lately been quiting at various points in writing the VOB file, with the message that it encountered invalid data.
It has done this on three different projects, ranging in length from eleven minutes (the latest one) to 2 hours. All my projects are rendered as same-name MPEG-2 and AC3 files in Vegas, and that's what I bring into DVDA. I"ve rendered the two files directly from the Veg file timeline, and I've also tried rendering an avi then rendering MPEG-2 and AC3 files from that. Same result. I've tired constant bit rate and variable bit rate rendering.

If I render an MPEG-2 with audio, I can create a no-frills DVD easily with TMPGEnc DVD Author, and that's my workaround.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem with DVDA?
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #640
Major Player

Justin

You explained it much better than me!!!

Ian
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #641

I have not encountered any problems using MPEG2 and AC3 rendered in Vegas in DVD A.
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #642

The main way people have done this in DVD A 3 is to have multiple menus that look identical except for the video being played in that area. When the selection moves to a particular button, have it auto-activate to point to the appropriate menu. If selected in THAT menu, then it would play the proper video.
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #643
Wrangler

Mike, batch render is built in to Vegas 6. It's under the scrip menu (under tools> sripting) entitled "Batch Render."
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #644

If you have it installed in Vegas 5, you may be able to just copy it over to Vegas 6 to use there.
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #645
Major Player

Still confused over aspect ratios

I posted something a while back but got no takers so thought I'd try again - god loves a trier!!

I have a PAL Dv Widescren project - 720x576 pixel aspect ration 1.4568

I drop a .m2t file onto the timeline - properties are 1440x1080 - pixel aspect ratio of 1.33333

The preview window is filled vertically but slightly less than filled horizontally - ie there are fine black bands running the height of the picture left and right.

So I figure to fill the frame vertically Vegas must be dividing 1080 by 1.875 = 576. But if you divide 1440 by 1.875 you get 768 - so surely this makes the horizontal size BIGGER than the project size - NOT smaller.

I can switch off 'maintain aspect ratio' which stretches the picture horizontally to fill the frame - but I'm not sure which version is actually correct.

Please help so I can sleep at nite!!!

Ian
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...