Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 48 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #706
Regular Crew

how to author in DVDA for PC viewing?

So far I have only authored two DVDs in DVDA and they are fine if viewed on an stand alone DVD player, the main menu appears and all is selectable from there as authored. Opening the DVD on a PC all kind of files are dipalyed, though if I remember correctly choosing the first video file might lead to the main menu page as well.

My question:
How to author a DVD in DVDA so that, when opened on a PC, it shows a window with a custom made file structure, or even better the main menu page?
( In the WMP one can choose to go to the main menu page, but I want a DVD to open so that anybody who does not know much about computer and how to use software can access the DVD's content easily. )
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #707
Major Player

Don't most PCs come with a software DVD player now - wg PowerDVD, etc?

When you install it will usually come up in the list of "what do you want to do" when you insert a DVD.

Ian
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #708
Major Player

Weird. I'm using 6.0d also, but I was using the .avi-files from cineform (large - progressive, it's from a JVC GY-HD101E)

Let's just hope the problem is solved with the Sony Vegas 7.0a version...
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #709
Sponsor: JET DV

All the ones I've authored for DVD players also play correctly in computers. It sounds like that computer is set up to "explore" the disc instead of "play" the disc. Assuming the computer had DVD software installed, you should be able to get it to play as well.
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #710

1Gig should be plenty. The only time I've really seen RAM be an issue is if you're using a LOT of LARGE photos. Is that the case? If yes, you might want to pre-render those sections before the final full render.

Personally, I disagree with dropping the RAM Preview to zero unless there's some specific reason to do so (i.e. using a plugin like WAX). Even then, I would go above zero before rendering.
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #711
Inner Circle

I agree, you should not have to set Dynamic Ram Preview to 0.

This was only included so you could perform a test. I was worried that you were doing a dynamic ram render instead of a normal render.
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #712
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. Is this the type of problem that replacing the soundcard with a better sound card would fix?

I should add that the hiss experienced is substantial. When Vegas is armed to record, the green graph bars extend more than half way across, all from the hiss. Adding voice through a mic only bumps the bars a bit even though the volume is turned up.
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Talbot
Thanks for the reply. Is this the type of problem that replacing the soundcard with a better sound card would fix?

I should add that the hiss experienced is substantial. When Vegas is armed to record, the green graph bars extend more than half way across, all from the hiss. Adding voice through a mic only bumps the bars a bit even though the volume is turned up.
This would suggest your pre isn't hot enough. Vegas doesn't add gain during record. You need to do this at the input of your mic, which is likely your Blaster or other sound card controls.
http://www.vasst.com
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #714
Major Player

Split up track into two? (multicam issue)

I have a two cam shoot here and I want to color correct each cam differently. I am using DoubleTake for the multicam part and it's done 1.5 hours of a kids playing music badly ;) Is it possible to not only expand track layers but to split them... since I bounce from one cam to the next the expanded view has one cam on top and the other on bottom.

Any suggestions welcome.
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #715

Do the color correction on the EVENT - not on the track. Then when it's copied to the master track the correction will be copied as well.
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #716
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Do the color correction on the EVENT - not on the track. Then when it's copied to the master track the correction will be copied as well.
I thought of that.. but it's a 1.5 hour concert with LOTS of cuts.... I guess I could do a copy and paste attributes after highlighting the rest?
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Richard
I thought of that.. but it's a 1.5 hour concert with LOTS of cuts.... I guess I could do a copy and paste attributes after highlighting the rest?
You could also repair/correct in the Media Pool and that will apply the correction to all events stemming from the original clip.
http://www.vasst.com
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #718
Major Player

That's excellent... I didn't know that!
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #719
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Hi Brian,

My method would be to use an instance of the Sony Black & White plugin on the video track or clip you want to affect.

At the beginning of your clip you'll want a FX keyframe with the plugin level at 100% (ie 100% b&w) and at the end of the clip add a second keyframe with the value set to 0% (ie off, or full colour).

Ian . . .
is there a keyframe feature on the sony b&w filter? I couldn't find it. I'm using vegas 5.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #720
Inner Circle

Brian,

When you open up the b&w plugin there should be a timeline with keyframe tools at the bottom of the plugin window (maybe the window got resized?).

Bizarrely, I just uninstalled v5 about 30 minutes ago, having upgraded to v7 so I can't check this, sorry!

Ian . . .
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...