Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 13th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #721
Major Player

You could also split the clip, apply 100% B&W (or desaturate in color corrector, whatever) to the first part, and then do a dissolve from one to the other.
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #722
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
is there a keyframe feature on the sony b&w filter? I couldn't find it. I'm using vegas 5.
Yes, there's a keyframe on the Sony B&W filter. Use it all the time. As was mentioned, it's at the bottom of the effects dialog - there's a timeline there. If you can't see that timeline (it's resizable) then it's probably been resized to "nothing". Move the mouse slowly toward the bottom of the dialog box. As soon as it turns into an up/down arrow, click and drag upward.

Technically you can use any filter that can adjust the saturation so you have multiple options to do this effect.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #723
Trustee

Looking to render to DVD from HD - a little help please

I am at the point where I have to render my HD footage to DVD. I would like some suggestions on how to go about this - which codec do I use? I remember hearing that HD get converted to SD, but how is this accomplished? I don't want the client looking at this and saying, er...this doesn't look like HD. Any help appreciated.

David
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #724

DVD = MPEG2. Just do a File - Render As, pick the proper MPEG2 preset, and proceed as normal.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #725
Trustee

So just render as an AVI? I am not using DVD architect because I find that is doesn't seem to work for me..

Also, is this going to maintain my 16:9 ratio? I want the black bars on the top and bottom on people's TV screen and not to stretch out - so do I need to render it how?
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #726

Render as MPEG2 and pick one of the widescreen presets. That will give you a DVD compliant 16x9 file. You should render the audio separately as AC3. Then use those files in whatever authoring program you're using.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #727
Major Player

Vegas 7 - HDV Editing - Connect HD necessary?

I've asked around a little on this subject and am still a little "fuzzy" as to the answer. Perhaps some of you more knowledgeable can help me (and others) out.

Vegas 7.0 includes new features that evidently allow it to edit and manipulate HDV footage more efficiently. How did they implement this and is a secondary software like Cineform's ConnectHD still necessary?

#1) How did Sony implement "better editing HDV" in Vegas 7?
Are they simply just using your processor more efficiently to edit Mpeg-2 footage on the timeline? It's my understanding you do not want to edit in Mpeg-2 on the timeline for a variety of reasons, some including speed of editing as well as frame cut problems due to Group of Pictures (I & B Frames and what not).

#2) Is there a benefit/need to Cineform's ConnectHD Intermidiary codec still? Will the 3.04 version of of ConnectHD even work with Sony Vegas 7 well? I understand using this intermediary codec allowed for a much quicker editing process on the timeline by somehow converted the Mpeg-2 HDV video via capture into a proprietary video format for editing on the timeline. Something I'm not too familiar with is what happens when I have my edit session complete and I'm ready to export to various formats? Does this video have to pass back through the ConnectHD intermediary codec or can I export directly from the timeline to Windows High Definition Video, Quicktime Sorenson, DVD video disk, etc.

In a nutshell, is the $200 spent on ConnectHD still necessary with Vegas 7.0 and if so, what are the benefits it provides?

Jon
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #728
Major Player

Imported Video is Dark

Okay, another "newbie" type of question here. I'm just getting into Video editing and have purchased two HDR-FX1 Sony Camcorders and am going to be setup with a good editing computer running Vegas 7.0.

While awaiting my camera's, I've been playing around with Vegas 6.0d and my Sony 1-chip DV camera. When using either Vegas, (or any other video editor for that matter) the video coming in has a really dark look to it. It's clearly not as lit up as what is being shown to my on the flipout LCD monitor on my camera.

Does anybody know why these editors are showing my video to be so dark? Is there a way to configure my editor or computer up front to have what is displayed on my monitor reflect the true look of the captured video?

Jon
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #729
Inner Circle

Jon, the question may be "why is the video on my camera lcd so bright?" Or, "why is my PC monitor so dark?" Or "why is my camera underexposing these scenes?"

Because Vegas capture did not change your brightness, nor did Vegas (unless you've inadvertantly made adjustments to track video level in the track header, which is easy to do).

To figure out what's going on, you need to do some measurements:
Put suspect video on the timeline. Open the scope. (view | video scopes). Select the waveform monitor.

If you have the cursor over a scene with whites in it and they are somewhere between 90 and 110 units then the original exposure in the camera was close enough and your PC monitor is showing you a dimmer picture than you want.

Peak values in the waveform monitor of less than 95 or 90 in a scene that has white means that the camera is underexposing the scene. LCD monitors on cameras are not totally trustworthy guides to exposure, they can be made too bright (or dim) too.

Bottom line - a firewire transfer of DV tape using Vegas Capture doesn't change a thing - it's just a transfer of the 1s and 0s that are on the tape. Vegas doesn't change anything unless you select a filter, touch the "level" slider in the track header, or touch the "opacity" envelope on the clip on the timeline.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #730
Inner Circle

You should also setup the scopes correctly.

If you didn't change the Vegas preferences, then the default codec will decode to studioRGB color space. So in the scopes preferences/settings, check the box beside studioRGB.

The 7.5 IRE setting determines where Vegas puts black level on the scopes; this also happens to be a confusing setting, as it tries to emulate what an analog vectorscope would show (but it doesn't know what an analog vectorscope would show). I just leave it unchecked, so that black level should end up at 0 on Vegas' scopes. Anything under 0 will usually get clipped.

With the 7.5 setting checked, then anything under 7.5 will get clipped. Vegas has no marking for 7.5, so I do things the other way.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #731
Major Player

Thank you both for the help. I do realize that Vegas or any of my other NLE's aren't changing the video to look so dark, but what I couldn't figure out was why it display on my monitor so dark. Obviously, the first thing I did was try to up the brightness on my monitors (2 - 19" Samsung CRT's) but of course, that washed everything else on the screen out and made everything way to bright. So I knew that couldn't be the problem.

I talked to a guy who's married to Apple and FCP and he gave me the typical answer "PC's suck for editing, you should be using a MAC as they display stuff the way it should" Well, I won't take anything away from a Macintosh but I know damn well that PC's don't suck and there certainly aren't millions of editors out there all starring at dark video on their screens and just living with it.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #732
Wrangler

Hi Jon,

As usual, Seth & Glenn are pointing you in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with your equipment.

As a general rule of thumb - TVs and LCDs tend to make video look brighter while computer CRTs tend to make video look darker. This is normal, and just something to keep in mind when shooting & editing. Seth & Glenn's advice will help you adjust your system for the differences.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #733
Regular Crew

Itested today the V7 demo - HDV now is running native (m2t - HDV rawfiles, captured straight from the cam) with full 25 fps framerate @preview - or draft quality, 1/4 output preview size and additional color correction.
System is a P4 / 3GHz 533 / 2GByte Dual-DDR (older system).
I would say VERY big improvement against v6 !
I guess on a actual system (core 2 duo or similar) Vegas now will fly like a rocket. :-)
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #734
Regular Crew

Feed back needed! Look Of Film??

Here is actual Look of Film HD ! First test shot HDR-FX1

http://www.box.net/public/3x1cch85ku

I would like to post full Quality but I have no server to host it!!

Here is Low Quality Render test TO WATCH not real quality!!!
http://www.box.net/public/5k7n1y8cri

Last edited by Steven Houser; September 14th, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #735
Major Player

What if I intend on editing 1080/60i though? Would this be no different?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...