Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #736
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Houser
Here is actual Look of Film HD ! First test shot HDR-FX1

http://www.box.net/public/3x1cch85ku

I would like to post full Quality but I have no server to host it!!

Here is Low Quality Render test TO WATCH not real quality!!!

http://www.box.net/public/oc9vfa0ph5
Thanks Steve but this doesn't quite answer the question I have posed. Does ConnectHD or a similiar intermediary codec offer any advantages in Vegas 7 over whatever is built into the software?

Jon
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #737
Inner Circle

I tried rendering the same native HDV file, with a filter on it, on Vegas Movie Studio Plat, and on the Demo of 7. I have a meter that reads the Dual core usage, and both maxed out both cores during render.

I actually have Vegas 6 coming from BH so I can take advantage of upgrade to 7, but I wonder if they had actually added whats in 7 to Movie Studio already, because Movie Studio Plat was sold specifically for editing of HDV.. I will see how the straight 6 version works on the dual cores when I get it.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #738
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin
What if I intend on editing 1080/60i though? Would this be no different?
My project referenced above was 1080i 60 fps interlaced, shot with FX1.

Actually, with the first run through I added sharpness as a test, and I was impressed with the result..
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #739
Inner Circle

Quote:

#2) Is there a benefit/need to Cineform's ConnectHD Intermidiary codec still? Will the 3.04 version of of ConnectHD even work with Sony Vegas 7 well? I understand using this intermediary codec allowed for a much quicker editing process on the timeline by somehow converted the Mpeg-2 HDV video via capture into a proprietary video format for editing on the timeline. Something I'm not too familiar with is what happens when I have my edit session complete and I'm ready to export to various formats? Does this video have to pass back through the ConnectHD intermediary codec or can I export directly from the timeline to Windows High Definition Video, Quicktime Sorenson, DVD video disk, etc.

In a nutshell, is the $200 spent on ConnectHD still necessary with Vegas 7.0 and if so, what are the benefits it provides?

Jon
Here is Doug Spotted Eagles take on this same question, as I asked it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...443#post541443
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #740
Inner Circle

The other thing you may learn from this is do not color correct using your PC monitor. Use a calibrated NTSC monitor out side the PC. Set up to "view preview on an external monitor" attached to the camcorder or deck ( connected to the 1394 port of course)

Ron Evans
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #741
Regular Crew

Raylight

I use RayLight to compress for edit much less Taxi on computer! Raylight Rules
I have cineform ,I use it sometimes to import thats it !The rest Raylight from Dv film!
Dont know much about V7 yet and codecs it comes with!
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #742
New Boot

Dark video

I had a similar problem a while back. I found, that on one of my systems, when switching from vegas to other video applications, something would reset my video display settings. This would make my video appear very dark with washed out colors. I accidently found an icon hidden on the right side of my task bar that gave me access to the display properties of the cheapo video card I was using. This was the only place I could find this utility. I often have to set this to default settings to get things cleared up. Just an idea.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #743
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thank you both for the help. I do realize that Vegas or any of my other NLE's aren't changing the video to look so dark, but what I couldn't figure out was why it display on my monitor so dark. Obviously, the first thing I did was try to up the brightness on my monitors (2 - 19" Samsung CRT's) but of course, that washed everything else on the screen out and made everything way to bright. So I knew that couldn't be the problem.

I talked to a guy who's married to Apple and FCP and he gave me the typical answer "PC's suck for editing, you should be using a MAC as they display stuff the way it should" Well, I won't take anything away from a Macintosh but I know damn well that PC's don't suck and there certainly aren't millions of editors out there all starring at dark video on their screens and just living with it.
John:

My ATI video card has a an adjustment for video overlay. You need to into the video Card set up. Right click on the desktop, and the display properties menu will come up, then select advances, and start going through the various choices. Try looking under the "color management" tab, for instance. There may be a way to adjust the overlay somewhere there, depending on your card...
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #744
Major Player

Super, these are some excellent tips!
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #745
Trustee

Problem changing settings when rendering - MPEG2 mainconcept?

I have recently upgraded my computer and had to format with new codec on my drive, I am wondering if this is causing the problem because I cannot change the settings when rendering with MainConcept MPEG-2 codec. I can change all over settings for avi, wmv, mov, mp3 etc, but mainconcept doesn't work. Any ideas how to fix this?
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #746
Trustee

I've been there.
I agree with the others here.

You have to find your video adapters settings to adjust for your video overlay.
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #747
Major Player

Vegas 6/7 - 2Gb RAM or 4Gb RAM

Building a new computer system to go along with my Sony HDR-FX1's on the way and am contemplating the benefits of having 4Gb of RAM over 2Gb. In my search around these forumns, I couldn't find too many people who were currently using this much RAM. For the extra $250.00 do you think 4Gb offers a solid benefit over 2Gb?

My alternative is to save the $250 and buy the ConnectHD 3.04 Intermediary codec, but I'm not yet sure/convinced it's needed in Vegas 7.

Jon
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #748
Major Player

If Im not mistaken, Windows XP will only utilize 2 or 2 1/2 gigs of ram even if you have more than that. Thats the way it is with my system anyway. I own a BOXX system with two dual core opterons and 4 gigs of ram. Under SYSTEM in the control panel, Windows only sees 2.5 gigs. I think WinX64 allows you to use more, im not sure tho.

-burk
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #749
Major Player

I found this on Microsoft's website regarding Windows XP Professional Memory. Says that Windows XP can indeed see 4Gb of memory.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

Jon
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #750
Major Player

AH! A better answer, the post 3 down explains it all.

http://bink.nu/forums/8805/ShowPost.aspx

Windows can only see 4Gb of memory, period. Which means if you have a pagefile of 1.5Gb setup, Windows will only see 2.5Gb of system RAM. Appears the solution is probably to turn off the pagefile.

Jon
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...