Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #751
Inner Circle

Old movie filter

I was playing with the old movie filter on Vegas 6 and was unable to turn OFF the scratch film effect. I only want selected filters like "Hair" and "Jitter", not the scratched effect. Is there a way to use the other old film effects without being stuck with the scratched film filter?
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #752
Major Player

I'd say there still is a need for Cineform - for me there is, at least. I'm editing in HD (from the JVC GY-HD101, so it's 720 25p), but in order to see whether the shot I'd like to select for the cut, I need to see whether it's completely in focus. Therefor the preview window is running in full resolution (1280x720), but at quality preview (that only affect effects and transitions, so that's fine).

Problem is that even with v7, HD at full 1280x720 doesn't run quite so smooth as it should (on a 3,2 GHz AMD64 with 1Gb RAM and 256 Mb videocard)...

With Cineform it's a little better (not even there yet, but perhaps that's because of the enormous file sizes?
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #753
Major Player

slowed down video

There's a problem I'm dealing with quite some time. When I slow down video, I usually go to properties and set the speed to 0,500 , instead of 1,000, just to make sure the speed is exactly half and the results are optimal (instead of using the CTRL and drag to expand the clip, because then I won't know how much it's slowed, and it's immpossible to get it at exacly half speed). With this I have 2 issues:

1) If I made a trim, put it on the timeline and change the speed to 0,500 (as I always do), I loose my outpoint, because the clip is slowed down, but holds it's original lenght, instead of doubling. It is somewhat un-logic - and all the other NLE's seem to double the lenght. Can it be set somewhere that the original in and out points of the trimmer should be respected?

2) And this is the toughest: The audio doesn't stretch with the video - it stays at normal speed. You have to set it apart from the video. You can't set the speed to half, but you can set the duration to double, so that is okay, but it is really a drag to have to do that in 2 steps. No easier solution here?

Grouping them doesn't work (and obviously so, because they're normally always grouped to start with)...

Any suggestions?
Old September 15th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #754
New Boot

Best rendering options

Hi all, I love these forums. I have a quick question regarding best rendering options as I prepare wedding videos.
I use Vegas-6 and DVDA. In order to produce the best quality DVD, should I render AVI or MPEG-2 out of Vegas.. then into DVDA. I noticed that DVDA's prep work is much faster with MPEG-2.

Your expert optinions please. Thanks
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #755
Regular Crew

I render to MPEG in Vegas, as it gives you more options (variable bit rates, 2 pass etc) than you get in DVDA.
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #756
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Any suggestions?
Use a script! Write yourself a script that will set the playback rate to .5 (on ALL selected events - just make sure you select both the video and audio first) and then sets the length to 1/2 what it previously was.

I know Excalibur will do this task for you. Ultimate S may as well.
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #757

Keyframe the Scratches so that they are off.
http://www.vasst.com
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #758
Inner Circle

Remember that, if your final project is longer than 70 minutes, you'll need to use a bitrate calculator like th eone at http://www.videohelp.com/calc to determine the proper settings for it to fit.
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #759
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Ultimate S may as well.
Yup, Ultimate S will do both in one step. Go to the Visual Effects tab and select Adjust Playback Rate and there is an optional check box Adjust Length to Match and you're done.

~jr
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #760
Sponsor: JET DV

Thanks for the confirmation, John.
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #761
Regular Crew

!!!Final Reminder!!!

See you all there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Grackin
Mark your calendars!

The next Washington Baltimore Vegas User Group (WBVUG) meeting will be held on Saturday, September 16th 2006, from 1:00pm - 3:00pm at the Chevy Chase Neighborhood Library. The Chevy Chase Neighborhood Library is located 1 1/2 blocks south of Chevy Chase Circle at the Maryland state line in Washington DC, NW near McKinley Street and Connecticut Avenue. We currently have reserved a meeting room that seats 50 people so there is plenty of room for everyone. There is no charge for attending the meeting but come prepared to share "Tips, Tricks and Lessons Learned" while working with Sony Vegas.

So come on out and meet your fellow Sony Vegas video editors located in the Washington, Baltimore and Northern Virginia area!

Thanks and we hope to see you there.

If you have any questions, please contact Mickey Grackin at www.oicproductions.net/wbvug.html.

Tentative Agenda:

1:00 - 1:20 Meet & Greet/Networking
1:20 - 1:40 Introductions/Past & Present Projects
1:40 - 2:20 Presentation? Show and Tell?
2:20 - 3:00 Closing Discussion

Mickey Grackin
OIC Productions
mgrackin@oicproductions.net
www.oicproductions.net
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #762
Regular Crew

can't get Vegas 6 installed because of directx 9.0c HELP!

Trying to install my Vegas 6 it says directx 9.0c is missing.

So I downloaded the directx 9.0c and installed it. Trying to install Vegas still it stops telling me that directx 9.0c is missing, although I already installed it, even restarted the PC.

What to do?

I am at the end of my wits but need Vegas to be installed NOW!
How can I get Vegas installed?
Anybody please?

edit: checked and found that directx 9.0b is installed. When I try to install directx 9.0c the message 'installation complete' comes instantly, but the version 9.0b stays the only one being installed.

Last edited by Andreas Griesmayr; September 16th, 2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #763
Trustee

Have you tried going into your control panal and removing all previous copies and them reinstalling? You may also try to email Douglas Spotted Eagle. Bob
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #764
Major Player

Picture

Hey can anyone tell me how to get a frame or picture out of the timeline?
I want a still of something and be able to email it. Thanks!
Old September 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #765
Trustee

Just click Copy Snapshot to Clipboard on the Video Preview pane.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...