Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #796
Regular Crew

Yes - or if you are using DVDA, use "DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream".
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #797
Regular Crew

Matthew hit the issue in the head (great discussion!). A few more details about it (and comparison of 32-bit vs. 64-bit)...

The 32-bit application has a 2GB address space to make use of, which can be shared and swapped between physical RAM and virtual memory on the hard drive swapfile. Some apps, if developed with particular compiler options, can use a bit more than this. Photoshop CS2 is one example. Vegas 6 is not.

Since Vegas is a 32-bit app, can it actually run faster on 64-bit XP? The answer is YES. And it boils down to more efficient memory management. As I said, the 32-bit app gets 2GB of address space. Unfortunately, the 32-bit OS takes some of this address space away from the application for its own use. Mostly this happens with shared dll code that both the OS and the application use. And some other stuff. In contrast, XP x64 differs in that it does NOT encroach on the application's address space.

Most applications don't even come close to using 2GB of address space and don't care. But a really demanding project render can go to that level in Vegas. Anyone who's had a render fail with an "out of memory" error has seen it happen. Vegas ran out of address space, even though you had loads of HD for swapfile and perhaps RAM available too.

This is why in XP x64 you can sometimes see a demanding render succeed where in 32-bit XP it would have failed. Because more of the full 2GB address space is available to Vegas, and the render needed it.

Also you can see speed increases on those highly demanding renders. With more of the full 2GB address space available for Vegas to use, it can rely more on RAM and less on the slower, HD-base virtual (swapfile) addresses.

I've done enough testing to bear this out. But back to the original question, no I don't think you'll benefit too much from having 4GB of RAM, since Vegas can't use it. But if you run multiple apps at the same time (like PhotoShop & Vegas, or multiple instances of Vegas), then you might see some benefit. But personally I think you'll get a lot more "bang for the buck" by getting HD Connect from Cineform.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #798
Regular Crew

Funny thing. I downconverted some jpgs from HDV, into dvcpro 50, Sony YUV and plain old DV.

The DV appeared much sharper than either DV50 or YUV. Now why is this? It's almost like the arguments as to why the HVX 2000 looks less sharp than HDV cameras.

Maybe it has to do with ones perception, and the DV frames only appear sharper in JPG because they have less colour info and are somewhat more blocky.

Both the Panasonic and Sony YUV codecs were equally less sharp than the DV frames.

Very strange.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #799
Trustee

Thanks Guys,

I will read the newsletters but last night I did take the 10gb .avi into DVDA and it did produce a masterful DVD. It did take over 2 1/2 hours to render it, but no biggy. I left it alone to do it's wonderful thing.

I had mistakenly thought that I was smarter than DVDA and it would need me to feed it a correct size file before rendering. I should have known better. Now that I am enlightened (me=dumb / Vegas=smart), I can go back to doing what I like to do.

I love Vegas.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #800
Regular Crew

A few people were interested in the "Technicolor" look in Vegas.

I've posted some files comparing a couple of techniques for emulating Technicolor 2-strip and 3-strip processes in Vegas.

They're not super-polished (I just threw them together), but there was some interest in whether or not this was possible in Vegas. It certainly is. I'll put the projects up shortly, but the videos comparing these are already there.

http://matthew.chaboud.com/vegas5/

For 3-strip, a simple channel blend is all it really takes to do this. You can use levels to linearize the color-space for a slightly more punchy effect. If anyone uses edge detection or spatial filters to do a technicolor look, they're doing it wrong. Technicolor is purely a color process.

2-strip is a bit harder in Vegas, as it requires isolation of blue-green and red masks, but I think that I might be able to bake it down in to a couple of tracks with filters. For this mock-up, I used six.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #801
Trustee

Trying to repair some audio - make it the same?

I recently completed editing a video for a client - all talking heads. When I filmed it, I had to increase the volume/gain on the camera to compensate for the individual talking heads depending on their voice level.
Well, now in post - when I turn the TV up, I can tell the amount of white noise in the background is completely different. So my question is probably complex and simple at the same time - is there a good way to make all the audio levels the same? I am trying to look at the waveform and use it as a guide to match up with the other ones using the gain control. Unfortunately I learned a lesson too late that more volume is better than less volume. A few of the talking heads are great, there is little or no white noise behind them because they talked loud, but others who talked soft, I turned up the volume in the camera and now when it is turned up louder, there is white noise.
Any experience in this matter? Any advice? Thanks
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #802
Trustee

I would be inclined to use noise reduction.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #803
Major Player

did you use the on-board mic? external mics, lavs clipped on will save you from this hassle.

capture some of the white noise in each clip and apply noise reduction. Its something you will have to do by trial and error as the amount of noise reduction you apply can have a negative effect on the voice (depending upon the frequency of the noise and those in the individual voice)
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #804
Major Player

Do Flash files work inside Vegas?

Unfortunately I'm not at my house right now so I can't test (and I'm totally incompetant with flash anyway) but I was thinking of finding someone to do some MTV-style bumpers for my music vids to label them with, and wondering if they will import correctly (with transparency layer) into my Vegas workfiles?

Cheers!
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #805
Wrangler

Yes you can drop the .swf file onto the Vegas timeline. ActionScript, motion video, and audio are not supported. And you need to use Flash 5 files, the Vegas reader plug-in can't read Flash 6 files or higher.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #806
Major Player

Cheers for that! Any idea if v7 of Vegas has changed anything with regards to those "cants" ? I'm hoping Flash MX will have the ability to save as a legacy version as I can't see many people I know still having an older version. Thanks for the positive news tho :)
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #807
Trustee

The scoop on Flash
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #808
Major Player

Ah excellent, hopefully everything I'll need to do will work then... fingers crossed!
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #809
Major Player

Slowing motion

Hi there - While slowing down some motion with velocity the render looks terrible, is there a way to get a fairly smooth slo-mo post camera?
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #810
New Boot

vegas-hvx200-raylight question

After reading a lot i think i understand the workflow of using raylight with vegas. But what about when your finished editing? Can you render again to dvcprohd?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...