Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM   #826

Yes. NewBlueFX and Pixelan both offer a "Posterize" feature in their plugin suites.
http://www.vasst.com
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM   #827
Regular Crew

Question about 4:3 to 16:9

I have edited a video for a company. This video was shot in 4:3. It now turns out that this video will be on a 50" plasma at this years SEMA show. Can I render this 4:3 video to work and it will be full screen on the tv?

I did this once beofore and it seemed that everything that I edited didn't move. I hade space at the top and the bottom and like normal on a 16:9 widescreen but my text that I had originally added was now in the black spaces.

Thanks, Jason
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:38 PM   #828
Sponsor: JET DV

Take a look at the "Split Screen" article in Vol 3 #1 of my newsletters. It shows multiple methods including the use of a Black/White generated media which you can substitute your image for.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #829
Regular Crew

Notebook for Vegas 7

This is a PC question but I want to target the PC for Vegas so posted here... hope it is correct forum...

I am almost convinced a notebook can handle HDV editing and am thinking of getting one for this purpose. My projects usually use a Sony Cam (Z1U) for capture, I usually use Sony Vegas for editing... and now I am thinking of a Sony Vaio Notebook for the editing machine. In your opinion or experience would this machine handle HDV pretty decently?

Sony Vaio
Windows XP Pro
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 (shoot... doesnt say how much memory)
Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83 Ghz)
1GB Memory
100GB HD (5400rpm)

I figure Sony, Sony, Sony... things will run REALLY smooth... however am a bit concerned about the HDs spinning at only 5400... I have used trusty old SCSI drives for years now and they have never let me down...

what do you think?
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM   #830
Major Player

Keyframes?

Again... I appologize for the simple questions. I'm trying to get up and running on Vegas 7.0. I've looked around for a while for the answer to this. Perhaps I'm not using the correct phrasing in my search.

In P-Pro you can simply fade in and out of a clip using the keyframes. I can't seem to figure out how to perform this simple task in Vegas. That goes for motion and scaling too. Any help would be appreciated. Or perhaps point to the right thread.

Thanks..
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:42 PM   #831
Inner Circle

In Vegas, turn the opacity envelopes on. I think there are opacity envelopes...

There are also the cross-fades of course. You need to mouse over the upper corner of a clip, and then drag left/right.

2- Motion and scaling is controlled by the pan/crop window. There are probably tutorials for this, but I haven't read them.
Edward Troxel has a free newletter with good tutorials.
There are also lots of free resouces on the VASST website. vasst.com

List of tutorials:
http://www.vasst.com/training/Tutorial%20link.htm
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #832
Regular Crew

When I buy a new laptop with Vegas and Adobe CS in mind it will probably be an Alienware. I would not get hung up on all Sony. Just my opinion after spending 5 years at the happy M ranch in Redmond.
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #833
Inner Circle

be aware that alienware have just been bought out by dell, so by the time u decide, u may end up buying piles of bloatware...

I recently bought a Toshiba A100 Pro
dual core@1.73, 1gb ram, 80gb drive, 256mb Nvidea display (dedicated) and i can run magic bullet through after effects in realtime... multi burner, and a 15.4' screen (which is equivalent to one of 17' CRTs

Cant fault it, Im using V6, and edit HDV for corp clients with it. I also use it on photography gigs and dump CF cards onto it as i work... It runs CS2 without skipping a beat
Superfast, BUT i run an external media drive for ALL video... much easier and less wear and tear on the main system drive. Considering theyre mobile's theyre going to be knocked arond a bit, so IMO its just a safer bet
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #834
Regular Crew

Dell bought Alienware back in March. The deal was they would keep doing their own thing. Do you have any evidence that big evil Dell has scr*wed up Alienware? The good news is you can buy DEll Dell 24" 1920 x 1200 UltraSharp Widescreen bundled with Alienware for around $600.
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #835
Trustee

...but that is what should happen when you resample. Did you try adjusting the event's playback rate and undersample rate by right clicking and selecting Properties? Setting the undersample rate to 20/25=0.8 should do the trick.
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #836
Sponsor: JET DV

Tim, Vol 2 #8 has an article on keyframing.
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #837
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
...but that is what should happen when you resample. Did you try adjusting the event's playback rate and undersample rate by right clicking and selecting Properties? Setting the undersample rate to 20/25=0.8 should do the trick.
I am not satisfied by the result. Oh, no idea...
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #838
Trustee

You might not be satisfied with the result, but Vegas is doing what you asked! Maybe you want something else, like this.
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #839
Inner Circle

good way to downconvert to SD?

Read this on the net as a possible workflow, think it'll work in vegas? Lots of mixed reports about HDV downrezzed to SD. Is this the answer?

capture in cineform>render cineform timeline to CF movie> use procoder II to transcode to m2v at 720x480, 16x9, par 1.2, upper field FIRST > dv architect to burn.

Has anyone tried this?
Old September 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #840
Major Player

I haven't tried it, and I won't because I'm from a PAL-country. Anyhow, I would change one thing for sure: if you captured HDV with the JVC, then it is progressive, so I would choose a progressive SD format to downconvert to....
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...