Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #856
Sponsor: JET DV

I second Don. I'm betting you have the "Split Screen" button on. Just turn it off and all should be fine. It's the button above the preview screen that looks like a circle that's half dark/half light.
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #857
Trustee

Somehow the resolution on the preview scrren looks very poor as compared to Vegas 6. I'll try to get something.
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #858
Trustee

DVD A4 Subtitle Question

I made some subtitles in the veg file in Vegas. How do I export them as a subtitle for DVD Arch?
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #859
Sponsor: JET DV

Tools - Scripting - Export Regions as Subtitles
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #860
Regular Crew

My new VEGAS laptop... HP's dv9000t

Howdy...

When you have a daily video podcast, you're always editing on the road. To that end, I'm constantly looking for the latest and greatest laptop for edited, although I'm not one of those guys who wants to spend $4K on a laptop...

So... I've just received HP's newest laptop, the dv9000t. Core 2 Duo at 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 240GB dual hard drives... Looks to be a great machine for editing on the road.

If you're interested, here's my 'unboxing' event...

http://www.neo-fight.tv/2006/09/unbo...p_dv9000t.html

Enjoy...

Best,

Benjamin
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #861
Major Player

Firmware and driver update

Get the 5.7 drivers and firmware at

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/software/

It seems Vegas 7 kills analog capture from Decklink Extreme PCIe -
Analog capture works with standalone DeckLink application before starting vegas. Starting vegas displays "no video input" in internal capture app - and then the DeckLink application is dead as well. Submitted to support, and they are looking into it. Would be interesting to know if you have the same experience.

/magnus
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #862
Regular Crew

very cool. thanks for sharing :)
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #863
New Boot

Nice laptop! Now I want one!
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #864
Major Player

I am just trying to get Vegas 7.0 to recognize Blackmagic as a viable display preview device.
Once I get past that we will try to captue.

Jim
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #865
Trustee

Colour grading and crushing blacks

I have found a tutorial on this in AE, but I was wondering if there is a good tutorial on colour grading for Vegas - blowing out whites and crushing blacks...
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #866
Inner Circle

Spend the money and buy the DVD "Absolute Training for Vegas+DVD, Vol. 4 - Color Correction in Sony Vegas" from VASST.
Details at http://vasst.com/product.aspx?id=221...a-fa0c83fa1dcd
It'll be the best $59 (U.S.) you've ever spent.
As I said on another forum, I've been doing video for over 30 years and was astounded at how little I knew about colour correction.
Glenn Chan is superb on this video.
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #867
Inner Circle

Mike, thanks for the kind words.

David:
The DVD may help, as well as the following article I wrote (it goes into depth about Levels in Vegas):
http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...0-90d2f8de9fc1

Does that answer your question? If not, there is another method to "blow out whites and crush blacks". The Disc Four Excerpt in the link Mike gave has some information on that (it's a sample video). It uses the color curves instead of levels... it's sort of the same idea as color curves and levels in After Effects. The difference is how Vegas handles the levels... it is slightly superior and more confusing than in After Effects.
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #868
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano
I just let Vegas to the SD downconvert for me. It does an outstanding job at this. I go right from the timeline to NTSC Widescreen MPEG2. Be sure to check the option to Stretch video to fill output because HDV is 1.3333 aspect and DV Widescreen is 1.2121 and if you don稚 you will have a slight black pillarbox (vertical black bands on the left and right) which may be noticeable if you are viewing on a LCD/Plasma widescreen display.

~jr
Is your timeline a a cineform timeline? what camera are you using?
thanks.
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #869
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Is your timeline a a cineform timeline? what camera are you using?
I知 using a Sony HVR-Z1U and my timeline format depends on the project. If I知 doing mostly straight cuts without a lot of color correcting, I値l just use the raw M2T files because Vegas 7 can play them back at full framerate. If I知 doing a lot of editing or if I知 doing 24p, I値l use CineForm Connect HD to capture the footage to CF or CF removing 3-2 pulldown for CF24. If I知 doing work that involves field audio (e.g., I captured the audio on my Marantz PMD660), I値l capture raw M2T, sync the field audio with the video, then render to CineForm with the field audio instead of the camera audio in CF format. This gives me one AVI file with the correct audio.

Regardless of what format I capture in, I go straight to MPEG2 from the timeline. I suppose if I was going to print back to tape or other formats like for the web, I would render CineForm and then make my tape copy, web copy, and MPEG2 copy from that. I don稚 believe you loose anything because the CineForm codec is high enough quality. The same is true for doing any chroma key work. I would either capture or convert the chroma key clips to CineForm and do all my editing on that. Ultra 2 with CineForm rocks for chroma key.

~jr
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #870
Trustee

I am assuming the training covers the latest version of VV (I don';t believe the CC tool have changed sine VV4 anyways...)

Thanks for the link!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...