DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/41400-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q3q4.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 6th, 2006 07:40 AM

The FX1 won't pass DVCPro. DVCam, yes... But not DVCPro

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

What do you mean Edward? Do you mean that if I have made "any" changes this will not work OR do you mean any specific changes?
Well... I specifically meant if the F12 key had be redefined to do something else.

Graham Bernard July 6th, 2006 09:16 AM

Good! Phew . . Next!! - G

Peter Diamond July 6th, 2006 10:50 AM

DVD Video quality modes for VHS & Hi-8

Hello everyone.

I recently starting converting VHS tapes to DVD. When converting the video to DVD, I am provided with various quality levels. As at least most of you probably know, higher quality means less playing time. Well, here's what I'm wondering. I'm fanatical when it comes to quality. At the same time though, you don't get much room on the DVD when you record on high quality. One level down from the highest quality level (Standard Play) does provide a good amount of time though. What I would like to know is if there can be any noticeable quality difference when converting any VHS tape to DVD in Standard Play mode as opposed to High Quality mode (I figured there might not be since VHS is already less quality to begin with). If there is no noticeable difference, then I have another question. Is there any noticeable difference when you convert a hi-8 video to DVD in Standard Play mode instead of High Quality mode?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

~Peter D.

John Cline July 6th, 2006 04:38 PM

It's exactly the opposite of what you'd think. Since most of the compression in MPEG2 video is accomplished by only encoding the difference between frames, really pristine, noise-free video can actually be rendered at a lower bit rate and still maintain quality. VHS video is typically pretty noisy and it requires a HIGHER bit rate to maintain quality. If you're concerned about quality, then the "high quality" mode is a must, PARTICULARLY with noisy VHS and Hi8 video.

John

Jon Fairhurst July 6th, 2006 06:22 PM

DVCPro50

I know that Vegas doesn't handle DVCProHD natively. How about DVCPro50?

I did a search and saw an implication that Vegas doesn't support DVCPro50 natively, but I'm looking for a definitive answer.

If the answer is "no", is the answer to the next question "Raylight" or "Cineform"?

Thanks!

Lorinda Norton July 6th, 2006 08:17 PM

Messed up external monitor preview

I fired up my PC the other day and previewed some footage from the timeline on my external monitor. Suddenly, the image started cutting out and then back in. I noticed a pattern: Five blinks, apx. 75 seconds of smooth sailing, five more blinks, etc.

After blaming my XL1s I decided to hook up the other cam before sending the one to Canon. The same thing happened. Different cables, different monitor, a new firewire card--nothing seems to make it stop. Capture works fine, from what I can tell.

I know that, occasionally, Vegas decides to play tricks upon start-up--like unchecking the preview window. Is it possible that a setting got messed up and is causing a conflict?

Albert Rodgers July 6th, 2006 08:22 PM

Ultimate S 2.0 Question

Hey guys,
I have been testing Ultimate S 2.0 and Excalibur plug-ins. They both seem to be fanastic products. I am leaning toward the Ultimate S because it appears to have more features that I am looking for. Is there any way to receive a discount code on this product?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2006 08:29 PM

It's more likely something interrupting the firewire connection. Perhaps a network connection, anything taking excess CPU time...

Lorinda Norton July 6th, 2006 08:45 PM

Hmm....there's nothing else running on this PC--no network connection, no unnecessary background programs running. It's a Vegas only machine!

p.s. How ya feeling, these days, Edward? Great, I hope!!!! :)

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
p.s. How ya feeling, these days, Edward? Great, I hope!!!! :)

Doing very well. Just got back from a round of golf!

As for the problem, any interrupt conflicts? Any other changes you can think of? Did it work properly before?

Lorinda Norton July 6th, 2006 09:17 PM

That's what is so strange--everything has been working just fine, no changes in hardware or anything else lately.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I can't remember how to check the IRQ settings! LOL! Help a sister out??? :)

...Glad to hear you're doing so well!

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 6th, 2006 11:11 PM

You can pick up a DVCpro50 codec from Matrox.com (free) and for DVCPro HD, Raylight or CineForm. I've worked a lot with the Raylight, and haven't worked with the CineForm at all as of yet, but the Raylight looks great. If the CineForm follows the standard of quality that they've demonstrated in the past, it too, is great.

Lorinda Norton July 6th, 2006 11:58 PM

finally!

By process of elimination, my friend Rich figured out the problem. He told me to pull out any card I wasn't using. Because I don't connect to the Internet through this machine I'd forgotten about a wireless adapter used (without problems) by the former owner of this PC. Apparently, that was the culprit.

Edward, sorry to have bothered you, but thank you for taking the time to help! :)

Jon Fairhurst July 7th, 2006 02:33 AM

Hi Douglas,

Do you know if the Matrox codec solution requires an offline pass before editing the DVCPro50 content, or does it plug into Vegas, allowing immediate editing.

And... If it's an extra pass, is it fast and efficient?

Thanks!