Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:05 PM   #931
Jubal 28

Just on the off chance you might mean "reverse" as in "mirrored" . . .

You click on the pan/crop icon, then right-click in the frame and choose "flip horizontal."
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM   #932
Slash Rules!

I f*ckin' got it!

Gentlemen, I seem to have found the solution.

This may sound really weird.

Ok, so, we have "24p DV Widescreen" as the project preset. Then, we take our 16:9 clip, in the timeline, right click, go to "switches", and uncheck the "maintain aspect ratio" switch.

When we render to a .wmv file, we go to the video tab, and select "custom" from the "video size" (or maybe it's image size. SOMETHING size, at any rate) dialogue box. We then enter 960 (w) x 480 (h) as the size. We then render. POOF! video that plays back in WMP letterboxed.
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #933
Regular Crew

David, thanks for posting that information. I was trying to do that the other day and didn't now where to look.

Curt
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #934
RED Code Chef

That's the method I was talking about, glad you got it working Josh!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #935
Major Player

Vegas 6 Questions

I just got Vegas 6 for $99 when I ordered my HDR-HC3 and I was wondering is the Connect HD that comes with it only a trial software? I dont want to start using it if is a trial software.

Also does it come with Magic Bullet Time ? If it did I could not find it or does it only come with Vegas +DVD ? Im thinking of upgrading to Vegas7 but Im not sure it is is worth it to me.

Joey
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #936
Sponsor: JET DV

The Cineform codec that comes with Vegas is not time limited. It is NOT the full "Connect HD" package, though. If you're going to be editing HDV, you might want to look at upgrading to Vegas 7 before the $150 upgrade price is gone (the end of October).

As for Magic Bullet, check with Customer Service and see if that version does.
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #937
Major Player

Thanks

I will probably upgrade today. I just saw that the upgrade comes with Bullet time for sure.

Thanks Edward.
Joey
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #938
Major Player

Jaggies or something like it.

It's the first time I've ever really done any chromakey work in vegas 5 and I'm getting jaggies around my guy. These are hard sharp pixelated lines before I even try to key him out. They are partially transparent as well which makes them stand out even more when I key him out. Yikes.

The raw video itself looks fine when I preview it in windows media player, but when I roll it on the timeline in vegas those semitransparent jaggies appear on the edges. They are also there after I render the video in Vegas.

At this point I've almost given up and I'm not even trying to key they guy out, I'm just trying to edit the video in Vegas and pass it off to another guy here at work who is going to key him with After Effects. But the video is just looking so rough around the edges in Vegas. I mean horrible. This isn't looking good since I'm trying to get my whole company to switch to Vegas and I can't even get a normal video cut without it looking like junk.

By the way my project and preview settings are all set to best and I'm editing DV NTSC from a Sony VX2100.
This has never happened to me before in all the years I've cut with vegas. But this is not my personal machine. This is a work machine. So perhaps something is setup wrong?

Any help would be great, I'm on a deadline.
Thanks
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #939

Try adding Chromablur set to a value of 2.00 BEFORE the chromakeyer filter.
Post a PNG of the file somewhere, captured from BEST. It may be that someone can build a preset for you.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #940
Major Player

Actually I kind of figured it out. I was rendering to uncompressed and it was producing the same effect it does in the timeline. However when I render to DV NTSC the problem disappears. Funny, I'd think uncompressed would be higher quality.
I'll try your suggestion as well.
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #941
Major Player

Question for Edward

I have Vegas 6, which I have been using for DV editing with great success. I am ordering an HVX-200 and am expecting to need Edius Broadcast to edit the DVCPRO files. Is there any reason that you can think of for me to upgrade Vegas to version 7 ?
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #942
Major Player

If you don't have Magic Bullet Movie Looks you can download it from the Sony site for Vegas 6. Bear in mind this isn't Magic Bullet Editors - it is a limited feature version.
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #943
New Boot

Vegas 7 - Fatal Exception Error

I shot a project that has over 1200 clips. I initially edited using Cineform's intermediary with Vegas 6. Now that Vegas 7 is out, and I can edit the native m2t files, I wanted to do a re-edit because the m2t files look much better (IMO) when viewing side by side (am I doing something wrong?). The problem I'm having is moving the m2t medial files from Media Manager to Project Media. I select the clips and right click to Place in Project Media, but I always get a Fatal Exception. I have tried to move the clips piecemeal and save as I go along, but I can't seem to get past around 150-175 before the Fatal Exception occurs upon opening the project.

Tried to do a search and found something regarding the number of m2t files on the timeline in Vegas 6, but nothing addressing this particular problem. Is there a fix?

Any suggestions?
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #944

First, the limited number of m2t's is dealt with well in Vegas 7. Just finished a project that had 70 hours of tape and over 2400 clips.
.m2t shouldn't look better than CineForm when viewed side by side. they should be approx the same, or the CineForm slightly sharper, as Vegas 6 treats CineForm as a native format, while m2t is transcoded on the fly. CineForm still provides some significant benefits regardless of seriously better performance in Vegas 7 of HDV files.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #945
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
I have Vegas 6, which I have been using for DV editing with great success. I am ordering an HVX-200 and am expecting to need Edius Broadcast to edit the DVCPRO files. Is there any reason that you can think of for me to upgrade Vegas to version 7 ?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70989
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71402
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72708
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...