Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #961
Regular Crew

The Strangest Thing Ever!!

Hi Guys.... (excuse the elaborate subject title, thought it would grab attention)

I'm hoping someone can help...

I'm having the strangest problem when rendering on Sony Vegas 7.

When rendering a project to PAL DV .avi, I am finding the rendered clip is playing back slightly fast, and the subjects in the film are rigid in a sped up sort of way (Chaplinesque!)

What's even stranger is that the sound seems to be playing at normal speed (the audio is not live sound, but a seperate music track), and the overall project length seems to be correct in the clip information.

The technical information is that it's a standard definition 720 x 576 PAL DV video project (interlaced) and I'm rendering to the same properties.

Is there any reason for why the video is playing slightly faster than it should be??

The velocity and overall 'Rate' settings are on default settings so I don't see how these would be having an impact....

Hopefully someone can help!

Many Thanks

Sunny
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #962
New Boot

Edward, your method worked great, thanks so much!
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #963
New Boot

JPEG Photo Montage for HDTV Playback

I have been using Vegas for video and photo DVDs. Up until now I been using the software for making DVDs to be played back on Standard Def TVs and have had good results. Can anyone tell me what has been their experience for getting the best results for playback on HDTVs? Intuitively, the photo resolution should be higher. What rendering option is best? I am using DVD-R media and standard def DVD player.
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #964
Inner Circle

Since you're using a standard def DVD player, you can't get any better than 720 x 480 (NTSC) resolution. You could try to find a DVD player that supports WMV HD or some other form of HD playback. I think there are a few on the market but I'm not personally familiar with any of them.
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #965
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for the reply
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #966
Regular Crew

What I do (and I believe most people do) is capture and edit HDV (in one form or another). That way you can output to both HD and SD from Vegas.

You don't need anything special to capture HDV - just Firewire.

In Vegas 6, editing native HDV was slow, even on a fast machine. So with Vegas 6 most use either Cineform intermediates or a DV proxy file to edit. Vegas 7 is much faster at native HDV editing (for most PCs), so that becomes an option.

In Vegas 6 I used DV proxies, in Vegas 7 I'm editing native.
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #967
Major Player

Project files... converting from 6 to 5?

Someone help. Please. Is there any way at all to open .veg in Vegas 5 that were made in Vegas 6?

Any way at all?

A conversion of some kind?

I'm in a crunch and need to figure something out quick that doesn't involve recreating entire edits in my Vegas (5) that were made in version 6. I won't get into why or how this happened, I just need someone to tell me there's a way or there isn't a way.

I (we, actually) stupidly assumed 5 to be forward compatible with 6. It's not, in case anyone was wondering. The error goes something like "this is not a supported file type".

Thanks,

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #968

You can export the EDL file from V6 and open that in V5, but that's about it. Filters, titles, etc will not be present, it's a cuts/dissolves-only option.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #969
Jubal 28

And, if you have both on the same machine, you can open the EDL in 5 and then copy/paste the effects from the corresponding clips in 6 over to 5. Time-consuming, but still better than doing the project again from scratch.
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #970
Regular Crew

Ok, Thanks. I had sent VASST an e-mail a while back asking this question when I couldn't find anything on their site but got no response from them. I guess I should have checked back at their site first....
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #971
Major Player

Vegas 7 preview settings...

Never had this problem in Vegas 6, but in 7 I'm not getting the res or the smoothness in my external monitor preview. Is this the consequence of being able to see both previews at once? I'm using the default settings of 511mb and 4 threads max in the video prefs. I know with ver 6, 16mb seemed to run more smoothly for me, and I tried that in ver 7 with no changes. Any advice here would be appreciated. I don't want to have to reinstall 6 due to the incompatibility of the ver 7 vegs I've already created.
Thanks.
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #972

Lamar,
After having just searched our servers (that would be all of the email addresses), your name doesn't show up on any emails received in spam folders or otherwise. Could you please privately mail me so that I might find your mail? I'd hate to think we're missing mail somewhere.

Thanks!
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #973

What's the mem on your vid card?
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #974
Major Player

DSE--I'm currently running a GeForce 7800 gs (I know, it's only AGP) with 256mb of GDDR3 @ 1250mhz. Same card I used with Vegas 6. Latest drivers, too.
BTW, Vegas 7 doesn't use the vid card in the rendering process now, does it? I know it has nothing to do with the preview, just curious. I know Premiere does.
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #975
Major Player

Anyone else having major trouble

It all started with using Blackmagic HD card. Would not work as the second monitor. After a couple of hours with Sony tech support we finally figured it out. The only project setting it would work with was 1920 x 1080. Thats how I left it with them.

Now that the show is done it won't render to an mpg file, avi or anything. Keep getting the message that "Vegas has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry for the inconvience".

Using footage shot with the Z1, 1440 x 1080, Cineframe 30, Cinform capture as progressive. The same as always.

Guess I will be back on the phone Monday!

Jim
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...