Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 68 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #1006
Regular Crew

Try it without captured footage via ConnectHD. Are you just trying to used the BM card for viewing the footage or outputing with deck control ?
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1007
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Am I missing something in your question.
Yes, you are missing the fact that he said COPY and you said RENDER. He wants to copy the clips to a new file like Vegas does with DV to DV. Vegas does NOT do this with M2T. It re-renders the file even when going M2T to M2T with no changes thus loosing quality. Womble will copy the clips at full quality.

~jr
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1008
Regular Crew

Convert 60i to 60p

Hi all,
I would like to do some slow motion,
I read that the right way to go is to convert the 60i into 60 full frames, using some dedicated apps.
Question is, Can I do that in vegas ?
thx Sassi
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #1009
Inner Circle

Okay, I understand now.

So how much degradation can we expect in the "rerendered" portion. If I added nothing to clip, no correction, no resizing, nothing whatsoever-- can't we depend that Vegas will be true to the original, at least to a reasonably safe extent. And if we preserve a second leader on either side of the clip, aren't we pretty much assured the same "GOP" treatment would be given to the footage. (Please excuse non "tech-speak" nature of the question.) Otherwise, won't our edited projects suffer a similar horrible end? I haven't done a lot with the Vegas HDV editing features.

And of course Vegas 7 now has scene detector. Is that a way to resolve this issue, assuming James wasn't shooting non-stop.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #1010
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
So how much degradation can we expect in the "rerendered" portion.
I don’t think that it is noticeable but you wouldn’t want to do it more than once. The data rate is fairly high (25Mbps) so it’s not like recompressing a DVD quality 8Mbps file. Go to the CineForm Quality Analysis page and see for yourself. They have a 10 generation M2T vs 10 generation CineForm AVI and you can see the difference.

Quote:
If I added nothing to clip, no correction, no resizing, nothing whatsoever-- can't we depend that Vegas will be true to the original, at least to a reasonably safe extent.
No, Vegas will ALWAYS recompress M2T files. So even if nothing is done to the clip, it recompresses it just as if you had done color correcting or other FX.

Quote:
And if we preserve a second leader on either side of the clip, aren't we pretty much assured the same "GOP" treatment would be given to the footage.
Leaving “leader” and hoping for a GOP match is also fruitless. Vegas pays no attention to the GOP and recompresses the clip (i.e., it does not preserve the GOP). That’s what Womble does. That why I recommended using it. If you want to cut up any kind of MPEG file Womble will preserve the GOP and just copy the data unaltered (lossless).

Quote:
Otherwise, won't our edited projects suffer a similar horrible end?
Yup. The same thing happens to your final project. When you print it back to tape Vegas recompresses the whole thing again even the parts that are unchanged. This is why people recommend that you work with intermediaries. The CineForm or Sony YUV codec can stand up to many more recompresses (like the Sony DV codec) without showing significant signs of loss.

~jr
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #1011
Regular Crew

The Difference...

So does anybody know the difference between Vegas 7.0, 7.0a, 7.0b, and 7.0c? (If there is one)

Steven
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1012
Inner Circle

7.0 is what got shipped while 7.0a is what's on the download page.
There's a pile of fixes in 7.0a that you can read about at http://dspcdn.sonymediasoftware.com/...70a_readme.htm
No 7.0b or 7.0c yet.
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1013
Inner Circle

Thanks John, that was very instructive. That's why I love this forum !!
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #1014
Inner Circle

Along these same lines, I notice that when I use scene detect on with Vegas's HDV capture, there seems to be a couple of frames from the prior or subsequent scene included in the scene. In HDVSplit, it would have a broken up frame or two, quite often unviewable. Is Vegas doing it this way to protect the integrity of the clip ?
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #1015
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks.
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1016
Regular Crew

Converting 1080i to 720p

Is this possible to do in Vegas 7? If it is, then how? What are the Pros/Cons of both formats?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Steven
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1017
Major Player

Here is the latest

Loaded SD clips - rendered fine, loaded m2t's - rendered fine, load cineform avi's - not so good(crash).

Uninstalled all apps that were not necessary, got down to 21 processes running. Uninstalled Blackmagic drivers/hardware, uninstall SqlManager, media manager and was sure to uncheck the use media manager box in preferences. Same results as above.

Spent an hour on the phone with Sony and ended up FTPing them a file. They got it now. I might just check with cineform...

Jim
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1018
Jubal 28

Yes, you can render as progressive with a frame rate of 59.94.

Not sure you need to just for slo-mo, though.
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #1019
New Boot

....Vegas 6d ..... from other forum I have the suggestion to try frameserving (debugmode.com) and encode to HD using WindowsMedia Encoder (download free) ..... maybe this will work....
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #1020
Major Player

Enrique

Do you have the latest update from Cineform? Version 3.20 I believe. I had been wrestling with renders for a week now and finally narrowed to the Cineform avi file(s). The update fixed all that.

Buenos suerte

Jim
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...