Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 73 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 16th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #1081
Regular Crew

How do I get the blur that I see on tv

Easy question I think but I don't know it. When you watch cops or whatever and they are blurring there face where is that in vegas cause I don't see it. I have to use a black circle or something. Also it seems as if that blur they use stays right on there face no matter what.

Is that like a tracking thing that you can use and it does that or do you just have to go frame by frame and do it?

Thanks, Jason
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #1082
Inner Circle

Check Edward Troxels newsletter, vol 1 #12-it walks you thru the process.

Don
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #1083
Regular Crew

Don sorry for the newb question but where do I find this article.

Jason
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1084
Major Player

link

Here you go, Jason. All the newsletters, chock full of great Vegas info, all thanks to Ed... http://thetroxels.com/vegas/forum/vi...909021013b5c33
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #1085
Regular Crew

Vegas is goal, Fireware Drives or Raid 0

Just finished my short and now onto post. I have lined up my software method Connect HD > DVFilmaker > Vegas > (maybe some plugin for color from Vasst) and now onto the hardware. My main project being editing in Vegas I wanted "Vegas Specific" people to give me their advice on Hardware. First plan is to get a mass amount of storage and see if my current machine... can hande the HDV. So...

1. How much faster (percent) is a Raid 0 setup than a single Firewire drive? Is it negletable? Is it worth the cost to performance? If so, can someone point me to a link on basic Raid 0 setup?

if my machine is not fast enough... I may have to put together a new machine... keep reading if you like... and help if you can... keeping in mind final goal is Vegas 7 >

Motherboard >
Although VideoGuys suggest this board >> ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe >> I have read many reviews (and the ASUS site even says it on a note below the board) that if you happen to get a board with the older BIOS... it will not recognize a Core 2 Duo chip and you have to update the BIOS using a P4 chip and... and... and... what a hassle/pain!! (where the heck to they expect paying customers to "borrow" a chip for BIOS update... let alone the amount of wasted time!) so... thinking of...
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP

Processor >
Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13

Video Card >
Another bit of confusion... many people... include Videoguys... suggest this card >>> PNY Quadro FX "series" <<<< for video editing.... but 1.) does the cost to performace justify this card? for half the price... can get a Nvidia card with double the memory onboard... AND... I am getting the idea that Vegas 7 wouldnt even take advantage of the Quadro, (VideoGuys, http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html "As of the latest release - version 7 which just started shipping, Sony Vegas does not utilize GPU performance in any way. So there is no reason to spend more than $300 on a graphics card unless you need it for other applications or plug-ins.) If it does... give a decent cost to performance ratio... say +%10 or so... the extra hundred bucks would be worth it. Note, I do not plan on using After Effects but Do plan on using Connect HD.
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #1086
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Downs
1. How much faster (percent) is a Raid 0 setup than a single Firewire drive? Is it negletable? Is it worth the cost to performance? If so, can someone point me to a link on basic Raid 0 setup?
I'm bad at percentages, so... RAID 0 (with 2 drives and the "correct" stripe size for the files being read/written) will be roughly twice as fast as a single drive.

Here're some RAID explanations:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=1491&p=2
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #1087
Regular Crew

hard disk performance depends on which drives you compare.

hard drive performance depends on rpm and cache size. in some threads in dvinfo. it is declared that 7200 rpm drive is sufficient for Vegas. and most of the firewire drives are 7200 rpm.

but RAID 0 will almost double the hard drive speed without compromising the storage capacity. i would choose that if I were you. it will also speed up overall computer performance.

and about video card. I am not sure if Vegas can utilize the GPU (graphics processing unit) on the video card but as it is also told in many threads the main requirement for vegas is cpu power. and that I agree. i can render the vasst render test in 38 secs with a Pentium D 950 (3.4 Ghz) and when I overclock it the time goes down to 30 secs. so go for a pentium core duo setup. I suggest you to buy ABIT AW9D. I use AW8-MAx the previous generation for pentium D's and I am quite happy with it.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #1088
Regular Crew

Time Lapse in Vegas 7

So I have some HD footage of a sunrise and sunset, and I was wondering if I could make a time lapse out of it in Vegas 7. How would I go about doing this? Just speed up the video by 2000%?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #1089
Inner Circle

You can experiment with the "Velocity Envelope".

Just do a search in the Help files in Vegas for "Velocity" and you will find instructions on this subject.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #1090
Sponsor: JET DV

Add a velocity envelope for up to 3x faster

Hold down the CTRL key and resize it smaller for up to 4x faster (or change the playback rate in the properties)

Do both of the above for up to 12x faster

Now render that out and repeat (2nd time 144x faster, 3rd time 1728x faster) OR you could use nested VEG files and add either or both to that.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #1091
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel

OR you could use nested VEG files and add either or both to that.
That is what I was thinking. Thanks.

BTW: What do you guys think I should set the speed to? (of the sunset/sunrise)

SB
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #1092
Inner Circle

I recommend that you experiment to get the results you desire.

It is so easy to do.

I do not have a specific recommendation, sorry.
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1093
New Boot

Pre-Render Options

I'm working on a Vegas 6 project that will be comprised of five separate blocks (not sure what the correct term is). Each will be 3 to 5 minutes long. Some blocks will be still photo slide shows, some will be video with overlays, etc. I will be working on each on separately and then combining them all to form a single video. One of the video blocks will be comprised of 25 5-7 second video clips.

I'm wondering if it's better to create each block and render to a new avi file and combine the new avi files at the end - or should I do everything in a single project and Render to New Track (seems like this would pretty much be the same thing as the first option?). Or maybe there's another option.

What's the best way to do this without losing any quality along the way?

Thanks in advance!
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1094
Sponsor: JET DV

You could do this a variety of ways. For example, you could do each section separately, render each section to a separate file (like DV-AVI or Sony YUV...) and then create a "final" project adding each piece to the timeline.

Or you could cut out the intermediary step and create a "final" project adding all the other VEG files to the timeline!
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #1095
New Boot

pulldown removal help?

Ok. I have some footage that I recorded a few months ago, and I have some footage that I recently recorded. Ive noticed that the newer footage looks different than the original - the original footage looks more like film and the newer footage looks more like regular DV. Now, when I right click the original footage clips - the pulldown removal says 2 3 3 2 ...when I right click the newer clips, the pulldown says 2 3 -- is that why it looks different? If so, can it be corrected by resampling the footage into my computer, or was it simply recorded differently (eg 24P vs. 24P Advanced?)?

Im using a Panasonic DVX100B and Vegas 6...

Thanks in advance!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...