Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 79 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #1171
Fred Retread

Again, after a long period of complete reliabilty, DVD Architect started to halt at the DVD folder preparation stage of writing the main VOB file.

The burner is not involved--I'm just trying to write the DVD folder to the hard drive.

In trying to fix this nothing works. Exactly the same symptom occurs after reseating of cable connectors and memory cards, a complete wipe and reformat of the C drive, fresh installation of XP Pro, fresh installation of Vegas and DVDA. Viruses are out of the question, this occurs before even plugging in the CAT5 cable.

Occurs with small files, large files, when using just the C drive for source and destination, when using the D drive for source and destination, and using either for source and the other for destination. Occurs with PCM audio whether I recompress to AC3 or not, and also if I bring in an accompanying AC3 rendered from Vegas.

Baffling, infuriating.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #1172
Regular Crew

Thanks for your input - I tried the light rays but just didn't think about using one single character. Duh. I'll play around with this....

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1173
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Retread
...The burner is not involved--I'm just trying to write the DVD folder to the hard drive... when using just the C drive for source and destination, when using the D drive for source and destination...
Oh. I'd missed that info the first time around. I take it you're running other apps with no problems? Sounds like one for Sony Tech Support, though I don't really feel authoritative about this.

This sounds like a software problem but it seems like you've done everything you could with reinstalls. Maybe that leaves hardware?

Is it possible that DVDA is using RAM that other apps don't? Meaning, it's using more RAM... and finding bad RAM?
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1174
Major Player

Background image noise

We captured the video with a Sony VX2100. Set the exposure to f6.8, had plenty of lighting (softbox, couple of lowel tungstun lights, couple of 250watt photofloods, ect). What I am getting however is what appear to be like artifacts itneh background. Solid grey backdrop was used. Can I minimize this somehow?
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #1175
Trustee

Are you sure you had plenty of light? Perhaps you did not; can you post a screen shot? Instead of lighting for the result you want, I would recommend lighting for the contrast you want (i.e., relative level), but make it plenty bright, then darken it in post. This will give you clean shadows.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1176

yes, you can minimize background artifacts (if you want the backfgroind to be black) with the Sony Black restore plugin
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1177
Major Player

Mike Crash's Dynamic Noise Reduction plugin can work wonders. It works extremely well with the kind of chroma noise I assume you're talking about.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #1178
Major Player

Sorry I can't post up a shot. It's for a client I can't disclose unfortunately.

But basically I have this video and I figured out that what I need to do is actually blur out the background a little bit. To take care of the noise/artifacts that are apparent on this backdrop. I have never used masking in Vegas 5 before, or really at all. Is there a way I can cut the guy out and just apply effects to the background? How do I do that?

Thanks so much.
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #1179
Major Player

Jarrod, I must have been posting when you were. Thanks for the link. That plugin works out great.
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #1180
Major Player

Unable to capture DV/DVCAM with HDV camcorder on Vegas?

I have a Mini DV tape with recorded SD DV footage on it, but I can't seem to capture the video. The tape is a Sony Excellence tape, but I'm not sure if the footage was shot in DVCAM or DV. I am trying to capture through my Sony HVR-A1U camera. I've tried both using HDV Split 0.75, but that doesn't seem to work for DVCAM/DV footage, and also the Sony Vegas DV capture program. The Sony program says, "The device 'Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device' could not be opened. Please make sure that it is turned on and is not being used by another application or user."

What does this mean? I am not connected to any network and my camera is on and put onto the Edit/Play mode. How can I capture my footage? Thanks.

Last edited by Alex Thames; October 27th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #1181
Inner Circle

Specs for the camera claim HDV/DVCAM/DV record and playback so my (never used one before) guess is that there's a playback menu option setting somewhere that you're missing.
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #1182
Major Player

Playing back is fine. The problem is capturing it into my computer (digitizing it).
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1183
Inner Circle

Are you trying to capture using the Internal (HDV) capture app instead of the External (DV)? This is another guess as I don't have an HDV camcorder yet.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1184
Major Player

No, like I said in my first post, I was using the DV capture program.
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #1185
Major Player

Thanks again Seth -- great info in your post. I downloaded WM encoder -- yes many more options. Off to test, test, test, now!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...